Why hasn't Apple introduced Airplay, not just Airplay mirroring?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by icebergx, Jan 9, 2014.

1. icebergx macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I know most people will probably not know the answer to this but I don't really understand why Airplay (video) hasn't been implemented in OSX yet.
    I don't mean mirroring, and I know Airplay Audio is possible, but things like beaming a youtube video to your Apple TV, without having to fully mirror your display, sounds like a simple, useful, feature.
    If you can do it with your iPhone, doing it with your Mac should be pretty simple, no?

2. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I think soon they will...eventually.

I use Beamer for the time being.

3. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Does that work well? The problem that I have with Screen Mirrororing is that the picture gets jerky, especially on Wifi.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

Not sure what you are asking here. Airplay needs to be implemented in the playback application, since it requires access to the original video stream before decoding. iTunes can obviously airplay video. It would be easily possible to implement airplay for Youtube videos in a Youtube Mac app.

5. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Your youtube example is what I want. I'd like my Apple TV to be able access the original video stream.
    I'd like to be able to beam the video stream, that I've come across on the internet (via Safari or Chrome) directly to my Apple TV. This can be down on the iPhone, so I don't know why this would be a problem for a full-sized Mac.

The reason why I want this is, that I often watch sports on my Mac, and when I airplay mirror my screen, panning shots and fast motion become almost unwatchable, even if I'm connected to the Apple TV via Ethernet. If I just watch the action on my mac screen, it looks perfect. Not jerkiness whatsoever.

Thanks.

6. Kobayagi, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

7. Rigby macrumors 601

Well, then you need to ask Google or a third-party developer to write a Mac app for Youtube that can airplay. This is not really Apple's responsibility.
    Again, this will need to be implemented in the playback application, in this case the browser for HTML5 videos, or the Flash or Silverlight plugins for others.

Also, it is not technically possible to do this for all videos that you can watch in a browser, since many are not in a format that is compatible with the Apple TV (which understands only MPEG4 videos according to Apple's specification).
    On iOS airplay is app-specific as well.

8. twintin, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

twintin macrumors 6502

It seems to be there since as already mentioned, Beamer makes use of it. The API is however not public/official (seems the Beamer developers have reverse engineered it). But one of these days it may appear to the public as well.

For this you can install a Safari extension called ClickToPlugIn. It will provide your youtube videos with a menu entry called "Send via AirPlay". Despite the name the way it works it resembles more ChromeCast than AirPlay (e.g. it seems to handover the youtube link to the ATV).

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Bypass your ATV and connect your mac to your TV with an HDMI.

10. Delmar macrumors 6502

Winner, winner chicken dinner! Works great with my Mac Mini.

11. priitv8 macrumors 68020

It's been implemented since 2011! But not by Google. The little thing that does this is called ClickToFlash.
    There are sites, where even CTF can't grab the stream, however. One place i've seen it is the sites using Flowplayer to hide the actual stream from the browser.

12. Supermacguy macrumors regular

There is also the application called Air Parrot which sends your Mac OSX screen to an Apple TV.

13. Rigby macrumors 601

Yes, it worked with Youtube and a number of other sites when I last checked. But it is not a universal solution as the OP asked for.

BTW, you should use the newer ClickToPlugin now, which can also replace some other plugin-based players besides Flash.

14. chuges macrumors member

Mavericks now has the ability to use Airplay for "desktop extension" instead of just "mirroring." You should test if this works better than just rote mirroring (I unfortunately can't do it right now)

15. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Yes, universal would be if implemented in AVFoundation. Because Mavericks is the first iteration of QTKit to AVFoundation transition, maybe it was just not sufficiently high on product backlog?

16. slu macrumors 68000

slu

You could also spend $35 on a Chromecast and cast tabs from Chrome to the TV.

17. Rigby macrumors 601

Yes, but that results in a quality loss and also requires more CPU cycles, since it doesn't stream the original video stream, but re-encodes from the framebuffer.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

19. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

No, I can airplay mirror without any problem. The problem is that the quality isn't good for watching sport and fast action. Click to plugin works very well for youtube, certainly better than screen mirroring, but it doesn't work on the flash media player used by my sports streaming service. :(

20. iHobby macrumors newbie

Just connect your Mac with HDMI?

Only the most recent Mac Mini has an HDMI port and other workarounds are kludgy and don''t work well.

21. Delmar macrumors 6502

My Mini doesn't have an HDMI port & it works perfectly connected to my AVR via HDMI & Optical cable. It has become a really nice little media/file server. I'll have to look up kludgy. What is that, a cheap China made adapter?;)

22. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'd to just send a video to AirPlay, rather than my whole screen.

23. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It is a mystery why we can't at least AirPlay HTML5 videos [by default]. I mean, 1) they're being played through the native OSX video player, and 2) third party extensions have shown it is possible to implement Airplay in Safari.

24. rainpl macrumors newbie

It actually was :)

I just created a simple Chrome extension to send YouTube videos to AppleTV via AirPlay: https://github.com/czekaj/ChromePlay.

Feel free to use it and please report any issues you encounter.

25. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
    Does this only work on Youtube? Is there any way to get it to work on streams from other websites?