Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
why hasn't apple released new ones?very easy, they are selling lower than expected. need to get rid of a certain amount of stock before selling the next gen.

It's highly unlikely that's the reason. The economics in cases like that usually suggest getting rid of old inventory through other channels and at reduced prices. It doesn't make business sense to lower your revenues and profits further by sitting on ready-to-ship product for which there is demand.

phillyfan9090

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
If apple wanted to capture the back to school sales they would have released the updated MBPs in June (or July) but since that is gone by the boards, the next big event is Christmas shoppers and so they'll need to have the Haswell computers ready for them in September/October.

I have no idea why they waited but the simple fact is they did. My advice is that if you need one now, and it sounds like you do. Then buy one now. At worst you can always sell it after Apple releases the Haswell machines.

yea im facing the situation where haswell MBP will not come out before end of August.. so i guess im stuck with the Retinas.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
It's highly unlikely that's the reason. The economics in cases like that usually suggest getting rid of old inventory through other channels and at reduced prices. It doesn't make business sense to lower your revenues and profits further by sitting on ready-to-ship product for which there is demand.

people that are aware of the new architecture are a minority, forget macrumors and every other apple site.
people that need an apple laptop will buy one regardless of its new architecture or not.

If we talk about 10% less (at max) purchases because customers are holding out for haswell, it will be alot.

what do you think 'back to school' is? a way to get rid off 'overstock'.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
people that are aware of the new architecture are a minority, forget macrumors and every other apple site.
people that need an apple laptop will buy one regardless of its new architecture or not.

If we talk about 10% less (at max) purchases because customers are holding out for haswell, it will be alot.

what do you think 'back to school' is? a way to get rid off 'overstock'.

Respectfully, all the data pretty much disagree with every word you just said.

Average people don't know "Haswell," but they do recognize other words that matter a lot. Like "new." And "X hours battery life." All of which appear not just on Apple's web site, but in newspapers, Sunday circulars, and so on. And if you think those things don't matter, then I'd suggest you look at Apple's quarterly earnings data by product line for any length of time. You'll find a very predictable sales cycle. In fact, your entire last comment about "overstock" proves my point: that inventory exists only because demand is greatest for new products. Your 10% estimate is, based on the unit sales data, a gross underestimate.

As for BTS, it applies to all product lines. It's existed for several years. Last year's BTS pretty much proves again why I'm right and it's not about "overstock." Do you know what the biggest BTS seller was last summer? The brand-new Retina MacBook Pro. In fact, as you may recall, it took Apple several weeks to even get its supply chain able to keep up with demand; orders placed on or after the day of launch took roughly 2-4 weeks to ship, depending upon configuration.

The purpose of BTS isn't overstock. It's to continue to keep Apple's foothold in the competitive education market and to give students heading to school an additional incentive to not only buy an Apple product, but also to buy it from Apple directly.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
Blatantly untrue. Ridiculously so. There is nothing "half baked" about these products. Tech is always evolving, and on any revision, there is something around the corner that wasn't ready in time.

My, aren't you proud of yourself! I was smart enough to order a Retina the same week they came out. It was great.

You are letting one anecdotal experience cloud your judgment and cause you to characterize things overall in a negative light. You should reconsider.

Why should I reconsider? It's been 14 months. I've waited this long. I can wait a little while longer. And it's not just the one experience which happens to be notorious, that first intel MBP from 2006. A lot of people suffered with me. There was the first iPhone and the first iPad. Especially the first iPad. Most everybody who bought that one instead of waiting for the 2nd felt short changed. Now with all that said, the Retina MBP is no toy. It's very very expensive. No way I buy the 1st generation of that. And I was pretty much proven right. Sure there are many happy customers, and I'm aware that for one person that had one of the far too many problems there are probably dozens of happy customers and that most people who are happy don't take the time to write about it here, but regardless, the GPU was not quite ready for the retina display. Since I don't buy a new laptop every year but rather once every 4 years, I decided to let them work out the kinks before laying down what is essentially a months salary for me. And yes, I am proud of myself for having the willpower and restraint not to buy this almost ready for prime time machine. There are many people on this forum who have agreed with me. Same goes for the next big thing. The iwatch? Not sure I need this. But you can bet that I won't be buying the first one

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Why should I reconsider?
I didn't say you should "reconsider." I said that you anecdotal experience does not support your blanket statement.

And it's not just the one experience which happens to be notorious, that first intel MBP from 2006. A lot of people suffered with me.
Interesting. I owned that exact model too. Loved it.

There was the first iPhone and the first iPad. Especially the first iPad. Most everybody who bought that one instead of waiting for the 2nd felt short changed.
Really? Do you have any evidence to support that assertion? I somehow doubt it.

And I was pretty much proven right. Sure there are many happy customers, and I'm aware that for one person that had one of the far too many problems there are probably dozens of happy customers
Notice how your first statement doesn't agree with what you freely admit in your second?

But you can bet that I won't be buying the first one
And that's you. Your opinion. Not a fact. Let's go back to your comment that started this whole thing:
Getting ANY Apple first generation ANYTHING is a I-Got-No-Brainer. Especially for that kind of money
By disparaging everyone else who sees things differently than you do, and saying they have "no brains," you took your opinion into insults and factually inaccurate blanket statements. And that's been my entire point all along. If you don't want to buy a 1st generation product, that's fine by me. It just leaves more for the rest of us. Just because we think people like you overstate the hiccups and prefer to accept the risks says nothing about our intelligence.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
I didn't say you should "reconsider." I said that you anecdotal experience does not support your blanket statement.

Interesting. I owned that exact model too. Loved it.

Really? Do you have any evidence to support that assertion? I somehow doubt it.

Notice how your first statement doesn't agree with what you freely admit in your second?

And that's you. Your opinion. Not a fact. Let's go back to your comment that started this whole thing:

By disparaging everyone else who sees things differently than you do, and saying they have "no brains," you took your opinion into insults and factually inaccurate blanket statements. And that's been my entire point all along. If you don't want to buy a 1st generation product, that's fine by me. It just leaves more for the rest of us. Just because we think people like you overstate the hiccups and prefer to accept the risks says nothing about our intelligence.

As I have previously stated I may have been a little harsh in my first statement. I was just making a harmless pun. I can now see that sense of humor is not in your vocabulary. That being said, I stand by my statement and I advise ALL to stay away from 1st generation Apple products. All of them. And that probably goes for other tech 1st generation products. But I can only really speak for Apple products. As far as the intel from 2006 or the current retina for that matter, I'm not saying all of them were defective, of course, otherwise there would be riots in the Apple stores. But I can tell you that mine died in the most bizarre fashion less than two years after purchase. I also bought what I think was the 1st 15" in 2002 or 2003 when the logic board died, luckily under warranty. That machine was never right after that. I have read many negative things about the 2006 intel. So it wasn't only me. Good for you for getting one of the good ones. That first iPad sucked ass. And I bought the first iPhone for my GF. After playing with it for a week it was an easy decision to wait for the next generation. Cause you see...IT WAS HALF BAKED!!!!

Nice chatting with you

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I can now see that sense of humor is not in your vocabulary.

I don't think calling people stupid falls under the "sense of humor" umbrella. I also find it interesting that when someone points out your insulting behavior, you come up with yet another insult.

I advise ALL to stay away from 1st generation Apple products. All of them.
Sigh. Once again, here you are arrogantly telling "all" to avoid these products. The proper course of action for "all" users is to decide whether they're OK with the possibility of some headaches, and then to make the decision that is right for them.

I've made my point.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I agree. thunderbolt 2 and those "special" haswell processors with gt3e. Wouldn't be surprised if they launch it along with the new mac pro and mavericks. It sucks for college students but... I'm still going to wait it out :) this is going to be one EXPENSIVE fall *sighs*

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
I agree. thunderbolt 2 and those "special" haswell processors with gt3e. Wouldn't be surprised if they launch it along with the new mac pro and mavericks. It sucks for college students but... I'm still going to wait it out :) this is going to be one EXPENSIVE fall *sighs*

Does your hackintosh work perfecty without issues? What about Mavericks?

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Does your hackintosh work perfecty without issues? What about Mavericks?

yep works like a champ. just make sure you check out the tonymac site and research compatible hardware or you will be in for a headache. I haven't tried mavericks yet since i'm not a developer but i'm going to wait anyways till everything is ironed out for hackintosh to work smoothly.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I am going to be a college student and am SO frustrated with Apple these past few months.
All I want to do is buy the new Macbook Pro with Haswell, but of course I have to wait months with Apples mystery. I thought it would come in June.. waited until now.. and soon I have to buy one now that Im going to college

So heres my questions to you:
1. Why wouldn't Apple release a new Macbook Pro before kids go back to school?
2. I have to go to college in 3 weeks. Is it worth waiting or will the launch most likely be in September or October?
3. Which Macbook Pro should I buy for a college student? (specs included) I think the 15" is too expensive, but would like to see which model is best for college kids? (fast, no lags, but not 2,000+)

You didn't say what you want to do with MBP? And I see you don't want 2000+ and you really wanted a Haswell then I think MacBook Air "13 is good for you and it is very affordable. :apple:

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
I don't think calling people stupid falls under the "sense of humor" umbrella. I also find it interesting that when someone points out your insulting behavior, you come up with yet another insult.

Sigh. Once again, here you are arrogantly telling "all" to avoid these products. The proper course of action for "all" users is to decide whether they're OK with the possibility of some headaches, and then to make the decision that is right for them.

I've made my point.

I've made my point several times myself. You are actually the one who has been passive aggressively insulting me throughout this tired conversation. I certainly have the right to advise our fellow blogmates, right or wrong, theres nothing arrogant about it. What is arrogant is your is your passive aggressive tone. I don't really have the time to argue with you. We both have our opinions on the quality control of Apple first generation products and neither one of us is likely to alter each others minds. "Sigh" talk about name calling, Mr passive aggressive arrogant point maker. I leave you with the sincere hope that you truly enjoy all of your first generation beta products that you shell out your hard earned (Or maybe you have a lot of dough to throw around) money on. I myself will continue to wait one iteration for the product with the eventual quality and performance that they INTENDED and will eventually achieve. Bye bye now.

Last edited:

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I've made my point several times myself. You are actually the one who has been passive aggressively insulting me throughout this tired conversation....Bye bye now.
You appear not to know the definition of the term "passive aggressive."

Nor how to distinguish an opinion from a statement of fact.

I agree with your last statement, however. Bye bye now.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

There's something called Holding cost. If they're going to be getting a high amount of new MBPr once they come out, they certainty will want to get rid of their stock now rather than paying the price of holding an exuberant amount of both the old, and new models. That, or best buy specifically is trying to make more sales over their competitors; however I believe other places have been offering discounts too. It's definitely because of the new models coming out, and taking advantage of the back to school period of buying.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
If apple wanted to capture the back to school sales they would have released the updated MBPs in June (or July) but since that is gone by the boards, the next big event is Christmas shoppers and so they'll need to have the Haswell computers ready for them in September/October.

I have no idea why they waited but the simple fact is they did. My advice is that if you need one now, and it sounds like you do. Then buy one now. At worst you can always sell it after Apple releases the Haswell machines.

I heard that it was due to production constraints with the Pro. They didn't want to jeopardize their own sales due to a supply bottleneck. Most people still prefer to pick one up off the shelf. If there was no Pro to pick up on the shelf, they would likely wait. This wait or 'buffer' period is what is dangerous for any supplier. That means the buyer has a week or 2 to talk themselves out of it.

It would hurt their Air sales as well. This way, they push as much of the Air as they can for 3 months... which is working out wonder for them by the way.

Oh and also, it gives them an additional 3 months to clear old stock with all these 'super saver deals'.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
There's something called Holding cost. If they're going to be getting a high amount of new MBPr once they come out, they certainty will want to get rid of their stock now rather than paying the price of holding an exuberant amount of both the old, and new models. That, or best buy specifically is trying to make more sales over their competitors; however I believe other places have been offering discounts too. It's definitely because of the new models coming out, and taking advantage of the back to school period of buying.

The other dude was referring to the Apple BTS promotion. However, the fact that BTS happens every year, and there are often product releases in June-July, is the reason why their own BTS promotion is not about clearing stock.

As for Best Buy, I believe you have the causality reversed. It's not "definitely because of the new models coming out", but rather because sales of electronics products tend to wane with time (after adjusting for seasonality). More promotions are needed to get people to pull the trigger on something that's been out for a year—i.e., to make them say, "Hey, this looks like a good deal." To your other point, yes, there's a lot of reseller competition out there.

But at the end of the day, I do not believe any of this is about clearing out "stock." Third party resellers don't tend to sit on massive stock of products. Instead, you're seeing them willing to sacrifice gross margins (percentages) to increase volume in the hopes of increasing overall profit dollars. It's a pretty predictable cycle.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
1. Why wouldn't Apple release a new Macbook Pro before kids go back to school?
Because your parents were supposed to get you one as a graduation gift last May. :D

Failing that, beats me. I don't think Apple takes their OSX revenue too seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.