Why Haswell is likely to be amazing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, May 23, 2013.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

2. Purant macrumors 6502

Yes, but I guess that's more good news for lower-powered laptops/ultrabooks.

They could make an Air with an amazing battery, but I doubt they can improve battery life significantly on the Pros.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ultrabooks only, don't think we will see that much of an improvement on the "normal" Pro laptops.

4. leman macrumors 604

If I understood this correctly, Haswell has a dramatically reduced idle power consumption. Given that the CPU spends most of its time idling, it may very well be that we will see a substantial increase in battery life across all the Haswell laptops.

5. Serban Suspended

yes not 13h but at least make all the macbook line to have a 9h battery usage

6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

yes because they introduced new sleep states on the pc

so it affects everyone

7. Mago macrumors 68000

Haswell do a 3D TriGate transitor implementacion which Ivi Bridge lacks, also incorporate a series of inmprovements as new microcode, new instructions etc all this cut power and increase performance (which is another way to save power). ArsThechnica has a deep analisys on that.

For Mac lovers, means a promise for a 9hr rMbp and fluid graphics (current rMBP15 frozen the window when scroling on Safari).

I keep on upgrade to rMBP due this, now ASAP the new Haswell rMBP are available I'll Upgrade (w/o USB3 bug of course).

8. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

the mosfet was present on ivy

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Trigate was in ivy bridge

10. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I would guess this means more battery life on the Pro's and perhaps a better screen (more power hungry) on the Air.

11. jesaja macrumors member

"Unfortunately", even IvyBridge CPUs are quite good at saving power when idling, and a lot of the power draw in current systems comes from the display (especially on rMBP, it needs a stronger backlight there), and other components. So even with Haswell possibly having a revolutionary low power consumption, it won't have that huge of an impact on the whole system.

12. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

yeah lets hope they use igzo display this time around or soon

13. Mago macrumors 68000

arstechnica.com/.../a-look-at-haswell/

14. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Did you read the article in full?

Intel claims that number, it doesn't come from an actual test.
    It's also only for a convertible tablet with a keyboard attachment which contains a second external battery.
    It's also probably an underclocked (~1GHz) CPU.

People have way too high expectations for Haswell.

15. magbarn macrumors 68000

Ding Ding! Part of Haswell's longer battery times is better coordination between the cpu and lcd screen's lower power states. Remains to be seen if these power states are applicable to a very high res IPS screen which requires very strong backlights to light it up. IGZO or some other power saving tech is going to be required before the rMBP gets a big battery life bump.

16. jmdMac macrumors regular

This could be said about every MBP release.

17. darksnake macrumors newbie

if were getting 13h of battery life i'm definitely going to upgrade my 2008 unibody

18. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Shoot if we get 13Hrs, I'm updating my 2013 one!

19. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

You won't.

I predict the difference will be the same as from Sandy to Ivy.

Basically it's going to be more or less the same.

It will work wonders for ULV (Haswell) but a fully featured computer.. It's going to keep burning through the battery life thanks to all the things it needs to stay powered.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'm as excited about Haswell as anyone, but I'm sure as hell not expecting a 13 hour of battery life average. More like 7-8 at most under normal usage.

It's going to make the gap a little tighter between a full iCore x86 machine, sure. But it's not going to close it completely. It'll be another couple years of tech advances and some smart resource reconfiguring out of the big OSes before we'll see that.

21. Augustine864 macrumors regular

What is the deal with this USB3 bug? Is it a hardware issue that can't be given a software patch post-release?

22. Mago macrumors 68000

23. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

History has taught me that this stuff rarely ever lives up to the pre-launch hype, and Haswell has more than its fair share of it out there. The USB3 issue has sort of given things a nice reality check, but nevertheless the hype still exists.

With regards to the holy grail type comments about Haswell being put forth everywhere I go, I'm very skeptical, and will only believe it when I see it.

24. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

25. canhaz macrumors regular

I just want a silent Mac Book Pro. How hard can it be? I'd gladly take 20% less performance for this. Or at least make it an option.

Hoping Haswell performs..