Why have a desktop AND a laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nomar383, Apr 15, 2008.

1. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I have noticed many users have a mac pro/iMac and a macbook/MBP. Can a few of you suggest why this might be a good idea? I am curious and would love to read some responses

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's nice to have a mobile computer and a powerful desktop. Keep in mind my desktop isn't a Mac but it was much cheaper to build my own. A Mac Pro would be nice but my quad core can handle what I throw at it.

I can take my MacBook with my to present or to a job site.

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    A laptop comes in very handy when one needs to have a computer available either while traveling around town or around the country or around the world. I find my laptop to be quite convenient when I want to go out on my deck in good weather to enjoy fresh air.....I can sit outside for several hours and keep up with my online world if I need/want to do so, whereas otherwise I'd need to be indoors tethered to my desktop iMac or Mac Pro.

Why NOT have a desktop and a laptop?

4. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

Do you guys sync user accounts between the two? Or perhaps keep the minimum on the laptop and all of the good stuff on the desktop?

5. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

With the exception of the Mac Pro I personally can't see any advantage in having a laptop (MB or MBP) along with a desktop (Mini or iMac). That's because the laptops are too similar spec and performance wise to the desktops. It's cheaper just to buy a laptop and an external monitor, keyboard and mouse then it is to buy two separate computers.

There's also the convenience factor. You don't have to keep transferring files between two computers and know you've got everything with you at all times. Even better is that you can start working on something downstairs in the lounge on your laptop and then move straight to your external monitor in your home office and vice-versa as you feel like it.

The MBP's are basically portable iMacs and the MB's can be easily upgraded to a faster 7200rpm hard disk with only the graphics card lacking. If you need to do multi core, processor intensive tasks or you want multiple monitors then having a Mac Pro with separate laptop for portability makes sense. Otherwise a MBP with 30" ACD would probably be most people's idea of a perfect setup. (Although a MBP with 2x 30" ACD's would be MY idea of a perfect setup if ever possible! :D)

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

For about three years, all I used were laptops. I still planned on only using laptops when I got my MBP last summer. Then in early March, I saw the 20" iMac and was so impressed, I bought it. I had intended on getting a second laptop. Though I don't do anything that would ever require the extra power of a desktop, I still got the iMac. I didn't even need the power of a MBP but loved the looks of it.

So now, I have the MBP, an iMac and a BlackBook. I'm seriously thinking of also adding a MacBook Air very soon or maybe even possibly a 24" 2.8 extreme iMac. Don't need so many, just love Macs and they are basically my hobby.

I have all the same music and videos on my BlackBook as I do the iMac and the MBP can have instant access to the music as well because it's iTunes is synced to the WD Passport attached to my Airport Extreme base.

Anyways, that's why I have both, or actually, several.

7. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

This is almost exactly what i just said to my GF who was givin me crap about spending so much money and flipped when she heard I was thinking of buying a desktop. She said "what are you going to do with it?". I said "not much, but it's my hobby basically". BTW I am planning on building the desktop, which is why I reasoned it's a hobby :)

8. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

That's pretty much what I do. I keep my docs and a few other things on the macbook. No music though. And syncing it to my iMac through .mac is cool as hell. We sync between two iMacs and a MacBook. We'll be getting another MacBook soon, so it will be four to sync then.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Why climb Mt. Everest?

I guess if one has the money to buy both a Mac notebook and a desktop they do so because they're there.

I know that I would have a MBP in addition to my iMac if I could afford to have both. ;)

Aside from the obvious differences in application such as portability for the notebooks and larger screens on the desktops, etc there is no such thing as having too many Macs.

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Backup. If one computer breaks, you can still use the other. Otherwise you're screwed. Also, it's more convenient to have a desktop ready to go at any time, instead of having to hook up a laptop to a bunch of stuff. Not to mention a lot neater and cleaner.

Again, backup. If you're keeping everything on one hard drive, you're just asking for trouble.

--Eric

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That's an excellent reason and one of the reasons I keep important things on three different drives. They all will fail one day but they won't fail at the same time.

12. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Why? Convenience! It is a hobby for me too so that overcomes the inconvenience of backup. It's convenient to not hook up laptop to monitor, grab and go, use both at one time, have a backup machine, hand-me-down to kids in stages, Experiment on one machine only...

13. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Why have a desktop AND a laptop?

If you can afford both, a better question might be, "Why not?" ;)

14. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

There are two people in our house, and both of us need use a computer on a regular basis, so two computers makes sense. We don't really have enough room for two desktops, so one of each was the way to go.

In addition, there is the convenience and portability mentioned above.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Because I like having a work horse, a portable and a couple spares. (have a Mac Pro, 2 iMacs, a powerbook and a couple PCs) Mac Pro is for bigger tasks and for when I feel like sitting down at a desk. The PowerBook is for browsing the net and smaller tasks (quick photoshop stuff) if I am on the sofa or in bed. The iMac in the bedroom is for watching movies/shows. The other iMac is basically just used for its iSight or if the husband is hogging the Mac Pro. The PC is for torrents and the other PC is a dell laptop which my husband's company gave him for work stuff.

They all have their purpose. Are they all totally necessary? Nope, but I do love the convenience.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Gee, now I want a desktop to go with the MBP
    I feel like I am missing something

I may need to at least get an external monitor, maybe a BIG one

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I got my C2D iMac for free
    I got my SR MB for £200

So the answer is really it was a no brainier to get both.

I keep all the stuff on the iMac and have selective files on the MB but as it is a travel machine I needs lots of stuff at hand so it is pretty full, especially when I take data from the lab.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Glad to see someone else has a multiple computers for different purposes. Enjoy those. :D

19. asmallchild macrumors regular

20. billmister macrumors 6502

Before I only owned 1 laptop from dell and there wasn't wifi at the time. After 3 months of owning it i sold it to a closed one for 1/4 of the price :eek:

Anyway i remember liking it alot but since i had to connect by Wire (ethernet) it didn't reach my bed that good so i had to use it by my desk or corner of my bed.

Anyway i always loved owning desktops because i thought they were powerfull computers.

I purchased the white intel core 2 duo 17'' iMac right before the new iMac came out. I didn't care, i wanted to set this computer up to be a monster and last me more than 5 years. I put in a 500gig internal HD from WD, and 500 gig External from WD. And upgraded from 1gig of ram to 2gigs. This computer does everything I need REALLY FAST, and I just love it. I am a neat freak when it comes to computers in terms of files and folders. i like to have my documents in my documents folder and if possible organized in folders (word documents, Spreadsheets, etc...)

When I would travel with my fiance, she would bring her blackbook and i would wait around when she's done so i can check my email or chat with my family etc... She would not mind but i really wanted one of my own.

Anyway 2 trips later (Mexico, Florida), i finally said i would. I needed something powerfull to take everything i needed and also what i wanted without worying about space or power.

I purchased a Macbook Pro 2.4ghz, 2 gig ram, with 250gig internal HD but i upgraded that with a WD internal HD to a 320gig.

So now when we travel i can communicate with family and friends whenever and also update my .mac web page or gallery. It's really great!!!

MY USE:
    iMac-All of my Apps/documents/media(music, Photos, Videos, Movies)/Games (Doom3), etc.. This is my computer that i store everything i want and need without a problem and work my major apps that even if i rarely use, i have.

MBP-Most of the apps I use on the daily basis or apps that i sometimes use/All documents/All Music, Most Photos(i have photos on my imac that i really rarely ever see or want to look at so i keep that on my imac even though there are pics that i want to see on my MBP i have them hidden),Some home made video's of my fights, etc..., No games on it yet.
    When traveling-at work-to lazy to sit on my desk and at bed-living room, I use my MBP.

Sorry i spoke to much

21. soms macrumors 6502

soms

I actually keep more stuff on my laptop, the important stuff at least. My desktop, a pc, I use just for storage mainly/watching movies/heavy encoding etc. Otherwise my laptop does the brunt of the work, writing papers, email, IM, etc.

22. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

But surely that would mean having two LAPTOPS would make more sense? A cheaper one to use in emergencies just in case, especially if your job requires you to be out and about a lot. I wouldn't buy an expensive desktop just *in case* my powerful laptop broke down. I'd just use my old PC laptop instead while it was being prepared. I can't stand the idea of buying something and hardly ever using it.

I've read plenty of times in these forums of people who bought themselves iMacs or Mac Pros and then after getting themselves a laptop hardly ever used their desktop again thanks to the portability and convenience.

But reading these comments, it appears that a lot of you view buying Macs as some kind of "hobby". That's fair enough, whatever keeps you happy in your spare time, but I'd rather spend my money on alcohol and strippers:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=471353 :D

Why not just get yourself a docking station?

Buying a whole new computer just to use to backup your hard disk drive contents? Why not just get an external hard drive or two or just something like Time Capsule for more freedom and elegance?

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have a Macbook, but I could definitely see the advantages of having a desktop. I'd keep all my media on there, including a nice video library, which is not really possible with the Hard Drives available for a Macbook. I'd also be able to keep downloads going for days without having to pause them and hope they start up again.

24. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

im sure we would all like to know how you got one for free and one for 200.

so.....?