Why have Apple increased the price so much?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by superdudeo, Sep 23, 2012.

1. superdudeo macrumors regular

Looks like they are aiming at a different market now. With the advent of spotify, I barely need 16GB, let alone 32GB of space yet Apple have significantly increased the cost of a touch beyond the scope of a younger adopters.

Any idea why they would do this?

2. metaljay macrumors member

Define younger adaptors?
    I'm 20 an own a 64GB iPhone 5
    Just sold my 64Gb iPhone 4S (which apple just replaced for me ;) )for £520 and the new phone was £699

I am with GiffGaff and pay £10 a month and make about £15 amonth from helping out on there forums

I wouldn't say the price has increased, I'd say technology has improved and the cost has shuffled with it.

3. johnhw macrumors 6502

They didn't increase at all. It is the same price (32GB for $299 like the 4th-generation iPod touch.) though what's different now is that they don't have an entry-level model like the iPod 4th-gen..

4. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

Well exactly, they don't have an entry level product which would be affordable for a younger market.

Apple deem 16GB enough for an iPhone but start the touch on 32GB?

It's money grabbing at its worst.

5. caribou123, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

caribou123 macrumors member

I don't understand this thread either. The pricing remains UNCHANGED for most and DOWN for some models! Not only did they not "increase the price so much" as the thread title incorrectly claims, but in some cases they DECREASED the price!

The 32GB model was and remains $299 for the new model, same with the 64GB at $399. These models have many more features, most notably an adequate camera. You are getting more/better features for the same price.

The 8GB model is now gone. In this day and age, 8GB is inadequate for most users needs. Now, for the same price they offer a 16GB model. That's in effect a price DECREASE folks! The 32GB 4th generation price has been DECREASED to $249.

Now, the last bit of whining will be that the 16GB model is the older generation. Well this is how Apple works. They did the same thing when the 4th generation model came out, offering an entry level 3rd generation touch at 8GB at that time. Last year, they didn't upgrade the Touch, and so bumped up the 8GB model to the 4th generation.

In ALL cases, compared to the August pricing, you are either:
    1) getting the same features for LESS, or
    2) getting more features for the same price

In no case are you paying more for the same features (that is what a price increase is).

This is anything but "increasing the price so much".

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

No difference in pricing structure going all the way back to the 3rd gen Touch.

For the 3rd gen:
    8Gb: $199 and hardware wise it was actually the 2nd gen (although they were calling it 3rd gen).
    32Gb: $299
    64Gb: $399

At least now you are getting a 16Gb Touch for the $199 price.

I can understand people complaining about the price (they do for all Apple products) but how can you be surprised about the current Touch pricing structure.

Also, you will never see another 8Gb Touch. Many functions in IOS are becoming stand alone apps (and even so IOS is getting considerably larger). You might use the cloud but 8Gb will not be enough room for most people.

7. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

+ iPod touch 4gen will still be produced and it's going to be "entry model", for 199$ (16gb) and 249$ (32gb) respectively. As iPod touch 5 is concerned, they decided ditch out 8-16gb model. The cheapest touch 5 is for 299$ (32gb), and always has been. It's just the lack of lesser-capacity models that's why there's no longer cheaper iPod touch.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Others already pointed out the flaw in the OP's title but I'll just ask if anyone remembers the prices when iPods first came out?

They've definitely came down in price!

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I was going to reply with the same info... thank you for posting this. I remember getting "burned" by the 2nd gen 8GB hardware being touted as 3rd gen during Apple's last "buy a mac and get a free iPod" promotional. Had I known that it was actually a 2nd gen and not able to take advantage of multitasking, I would've applied the credit to a true 3rd gen Touch.

I don't have a problem with Apple's pricing structure on the low-end, but I do wish that they would've dropped the price on the 64GB model. I have a 4G 64GB that I'm seriously considering trading/selling to upgrade to the 5th gen.

Out of all of the new devices announced, the iPod Touch is the one that is the most exciting, IMO.

10. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly, the lack of lesser capacity models is a clear statement of intent from Apple. 16GB is sufficient for many people but Apple deem 32GB as a minimum? Considering the cost to Apple of 32GB vs 16GB...they have increased the price of the basic model. Simple as that.

11. Simbazz macrumors regular

Apple are aiming the new Touch's at those who listen to music, game and take photos. Providing you do two out of three of those then 16GB (and thus the lower price point) wouldn't be sufficient to even the most occasional user.

Apple wont miss a trick, if they thought 16GB would sell, then they'd offer it.

12. 617aircav Suspended

16gb is sufficient for a lot of people, stop making blanket statements. To those complaining about the 32gb entry, you have a decision to make. Decide if it's worth it to you or not. If gaming is not your most important use, maybe its not worth it. The fourth gen is still good.

13. Simbazz macrumors regular

I imagine it is sufficient for some people yes but for a company to agree to make a product for a smaller segment of a market isn't profitable, surely people can work that out?

Games these days are bigger, photos are bigger and music libraries are growing. 16GB is probably a dead size now for products such as iPod Touches.

Edit; How is what I said a blanket statement?

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm not sure what you mean ? Apple sells a 16Gb Touch so that is their minimum basic model. As far as getting the newest design, 32Gb has always been the smallest you can get (there has been no change in pricing structure). Apple increased the size of the base model from 8Gb to 16Gb so it's actually a price decrease for the base model.

15. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

16. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Apple has different strategy for iPod touch and iPhone. They offer 16gb iPhones and even 8gb just because GSM functionality is the MAIN FEATURE, and there are lots of people who don't use AppStore, games, movies etc that much. That's why they have cheaper iPhone models with lesser capacity. There's a whole different strategy with iPod touch, just because it's the device mainly and ONLY for media-content related use. Being that said 32gb for movies, music, apps is really a minimum starting point to really enjoy the device without constant hassle of content swapping. In my opinion they should even introduce 128gb model.

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Next year there will be minor changes to the 32Gb and 64Gb but the 16Gb will be updated to the A5. As everyone has said, this is how Apple always works as far as the iPod Touch. If you need a 16Gb newest design touch, wait till next year.

18. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

I disagree, with the advent of spotify, there is no need to fill a device with music.

19. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

As much as I like Spotify for radio, I (and I imagine a lot of others) don't want to spend the 4.99/9.99 a month for music when we already own a large portion of what we would listen to on Spotify anyway.

20. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Spotify will never replace local storage. It's really tiring hearing that constantly. People have been saying that since it came out, and before spotify, pandora. Guess what? The vast majority of people still sync/download music to their phones and iPods.

21. urban.spaceman macrumors member

I've used Spotify a few times and I honestly don't find it useful at all. I like being able to carry all of my music with me; whenever I'm backpacking to have access to my entire music collection is very useful; streaming it would just not be possible/practical. This is why I'll be getting the 64gb to cram in a few films too.

22. timychann, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

timychann macrumors newbie

If you're willing to have no music on the road, or sync only a few songs is not for me to judge, but 32Gb at $299 is a decent price. It's pretty much been the same since the 2nd generation. Over the last few years, it does not appear that the price has been adjusted for inflation, so I'd say it is fine.

I have Spotify on my iPod Touch, and that does take up considerable space, about 600-700mb worth of music at 320kbps. 8Gb just wouldn't really be feasible. You'll have approx 7.6Gb of free space after installing iOS, then about 1Gb of music (if you don't listen to your whole iTunes collection), another 1-2Gb of movies that you rent or buy, then the games and apps which take another 2Gb. Furthermore, with the new iPod Touches with the 5Mp camera, that'll increase the size of photos. That will fill the Touch to the brim, and leave no space for anything else.

32Gb really is the minimum, and considering that Apple hasn't really adjusted for inflation, it seems that they really haven't increased the price 'so much'

23. sineplex macrumors 6502

It's 32GB for $299. Why do people keep mistaking it for 16GB?

If it was 16GB for $299, I wouldn't have pre-ordered. ;)

24. timychann macrumors newbie

Argggggggggghhh. Trying to make sense of things after just waking up from a nap. Bad idea ;). Edited :p

25. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, the OP here.

Do you all realise the tiny amount extra it costs Apple to make a 32GB rather than a 16GB? For those of us that have no need for 32GB and want a base model...the cost has risen enormously and this is a well thought out plan from Apple which still none of you have made any sense of.

They are targeting a young market with those colours and saying you'll have to cough up a lot more for it.