Why have I not seen anyone complain about this design mistake on the 6+ in landscape?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisvanhorn, Sep 26, 2014.

1. chrisvanhorn macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

[​IMG]

These dots should move to the left to align with the time in the status bar. I can't even believe they missed this, and that I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. This is driving me crazy, partly due to the fact I'm a designer and very particular about this kind of stuff.

2. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Yes it's not the end of the world but Apple is supposed to be better than this.

This is amateur hour all over the place.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Looks like they're aligned to the full width of the device, ignoring the dock. Pretty sloppy design but I'm sure it'll be fixed :)

5. chrisvanhorn thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

True, but in this situation the dock doesn't change. The UI should be aligned to the actionable area it pertains to.

6. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

I thought it was kind of weird too, if you organized your home screen by row, it turns that to ****.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Completely agree it should be aligned to the area discounting the dock, I was just trying to work out what they'd done.

On the subject of the dock, if you rotate the phone the other way, is the dock on the left or is it always on the right?

8. Grmnracing macrumors regular

I don't have a 6+ but doesn't it have to be in that position. When you swipe up from the bottom to get the quick toggles for airplane mode, wifi, calculator, etc doesn't the arrow pop up where the dots would be.

9. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Yeah attention to small details. That is apple.

10. chrisvanhorn thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

I didn't even think of this alignment situation either... probably one of the reasons they never allowed for landscape in the past. It appears they caved and just allowed for a few design flaws to stick out in favor of allowing for this feature. It doesn't HAVE to be in that position as you can pull from anywhere on the bottom, but yes you are right, the arrow would come up from that area. I feel sick. :confused:

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The dock is always on the right and the dots are always shifted to the right. :eek:

12. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

cause i never noticed it and still dont care now they i have

13. bluespark macrumors 65816

You don't need to be a designer to be bothered by sloppy details. And you're right -- this is a clear miss by Apple.

14. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

This place actually makes me feel sane... and I'm nuts. :D

15. BluPrynt78 macrumors member

BluPrynt78

That doesn't bother me too much but I do have a dumb question that's probably already been addressed/answered.
    I hate the landscape mode when texting. Is there anyway to get rid of all the extra shortcut options on the sides to make more space for the actual keyboard?
    Thanks in advance

16. chrisvanhorn thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

I'm sure there might be a custom keyboard in the near future to allow for this.

17. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Yes.. while that indeed looks bad, there are still ton of similar imperfections that bugs me more than this. :)

18. chrisvanhorn thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

Examples?

19. psylence2k, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

psylence2k macrumors 6502

Well as some have already said it looks like it's placed symmetrically centered based on the width of the entire screen. While the time is placed centered relative to the signal and battery indicators.Which actually makes sense to me IMO, I guess it's all preference.

If it was aligned with the time then other people might complain that it's not exactly in center of the screen at the bottom. Some people might prefer they find a way to move the batter indicator into the dock space and then center the time to match the centered bottom dots. Like I said it's all preference.

I personally feel like if it was aligned with the time it would bother me. Theoretically I'm more prone to notice the off centering relative to the entire screen width at the bottom than to notice it being misaligned with the time which is all the way at the top and not really a focal point when focusing on the dots but rather when you're focusing on the dots AND the time at the same time which IMO isn't really a perspective that most people would organically find themselves in throughout daily use (constantly focusing on the dots AND the time together). It's more of a natural observation to notice the dots are off center with the bottom of the screen.

Like I said it's about if you look at it symmetrically relative to the time or to the actual whole screen. The latter makes more sense aesthetically to me.

Who knows they might fix this in a future software update but I'm sure they already noticed this. I dont really think it's a design flaw (neither do they probably), just a matter of preference and I actually prefer it the way it is but wouldn't feel TOO upset if it was the other way around.

20. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

21. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Dock is always on the right side.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Good grief, I swear people will complain about the silliest things.:rolleyes:

23. chrisvanhorn thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

A mistake is a mistake, no? I love the phone and operating system.

24. psylence2k macrumors 6502

I really dont think it's a mistake though as I outlined in my post. I think the designers were very aware of this and preferred it.

25. chrisvanhorn thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

It's not really a matter of whether or not you think it's a mistake. From a design standpoint, it's a mistake.