Why have I not seen anyone complain about this design mistake on the 6+ in landscape?

chrisvanhorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI

These dots should move to the left to align with the time in the status bar. I can't even believe they missed this, and that I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. This is driving me crazy, partly due to the fact I'm a designer and very particular about this kind of stuff.

antiprotest

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Yes it's not the end of the world but Apple is supposed to be better than this.

This is amateur hour all over the place.

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Looks like they're aligned to the full width of the device, ignoring the dock. Pretty sloppy design but I'm sure it'll be fixed :)

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I thought it was kind of weird too, if you organized your home screen by row, it turns that to ****.

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
True, but in this situation the dock doesn't change. The UI should be aligned to the actionable area it pertains to.
Completely agree it should be aligned to the area discounting the dock, I was just trying to work out what they'd done.

On the subject of the dock, if you rotate the phone the other way, is the dock on the left or is it always on the right?

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011

These dots should move to the left to align with the time in the status bar. I can't even believe they missed this, and that I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. This is driving me crazy, partly due to the fact I'm a designer and very particular about this kind of stuff.

I don't have a 6+ but doesn't it have to be in that position. When you swipe up from the bottom to get the quick toggles for airplane mode, wifi, calculator, etc doesn't the arrow pop up where the dots would be.

chrisvanhorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
I don't have a 6+ but doesn't it have to be in that position. When you swipe up from the bottom to get the quick toggles for airplane mode, wifi, calculator, etc doesn't the arrow pop up where the dots would be.
I didn't even think of this alignment situation either... probably one of the reasons they never allowed for landscape in the past. It appears they caved and just allowed for a few design flaws to stick out in favor of allowing for this feature. It doesn't HAVE to be in that position as you can pull from anywhere on the bottom, but yes you are right, the arrow would come up from that area. I feel sick. :confused:

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

You don't need to be a designer to be bothered by sloppy details. And you're right -- this is a clear miss by Apple.

BluPrynt78

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
Colorado Springs
That doesn't bother me too much but I do have a dumb question that's probably already been addressed/answered.
I hate the landscape mode when texting. Is there anyway to get rid of all the extra shortcut options on the sides to make more space for the actual keyboard?
Thanks in advance

chrisvanhorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
That doesn't bother me too much but I do have a dumb question that's probably already been addressed/answered.
I hate the landscape mode when texting. Is there anyway to get rid of all the extra shortcut options on the sides to make more space for the actual keyboard?
Thanks in advance
I'm sure there might be a custom keyboard in the near future to allow for this.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic

Yes.. while that indeed looks bad, there are still ton of similar imperfections that bugs me more than this. :)

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Well as some have already said it looks like it's placed symmetrically centered based on the width of the entire screen. While the time is placed centered relative to the signal and battery indicators.Which actually makes sense to me IMO, I guess it's all preference.

If it was aligned with the time then other people might complain that it's not exactly in center of the screen at the bottom. Some people might prefer they find a way to move the batter indicator into the dock space and then center the time to match the centered bottom dots. Like I said it's all preference.

I personally feel like if it was aligned with the time it would bother me. Theoretically I'm more prone to notice the off centering relative to the entire screen width at the bottom than to notice it being misaligned with the time which is all the way at the top and not really a focal point when focusing on the dots but rather when you're focusing on the dots AND the time at the same time which IMO isn't really a perspective that most people would organically find themselves in throughout daily use (constantly focusing on the dots AND the time together). It's more of a natural observation to notice the dots are off center with the bottom of the screen.

Like I said it's about if you look at it symmetrically relative to the time or to the actual whole screen. The latter makes more sense aesthetically to me.

Who knows they might fix this in a future software update but I'm sure they already noticed this. I dont really think it's a design flaw (neither do they probably), just a matter of preference and I actually prefer it the way it is but wouldn't feel TOO upset if it was the other way around.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Good grief, I swear people will complain about the silliest things.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.