Why haven't they made a password lock for Photos?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gamecube117, Mar 11, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

I mean, four iPod Touches, three iPads later... Why have they not added this feature yet? I know people may think it's pointless, but it's actually handy when you have those one nosy family members that likes to go through your stuff. :confused:

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Settings / General / Passcode Lock.

Then avoid letting anyone who you don't want going through your "stuff" from handling your iPad.

3. SunnyDay24 macrumors newbie

I think the OP means a specific lock codes, perhaps for certain apps or folders. I, for one, would appreciate a pass code just for photos, because sometimes I would like to let someone else access one part of my iPad (for example, the internet/games) but not the rest (some apps, my photos, etc)

4. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

That locks the whole iPod/iPads, I don't want to do that. I just want to lock certain things from the iPod.

Example: I was at work the other day and someone (who works in the stock room) forgot their iPod and had to work in the back in silence for eight hours and asked if he could borrow my iPod. I said sure, being the nice guy that I am. An hour later I go back to the stock room to check something for a customer, and I look from behind and he was going through my pictures.

5. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. And I'm surprised there's no legitimate application for this too. :rolleyes:

6. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

7. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Can't you store private photos in Readdle Docs or GoodReader and put a passcode on it? Then leave all you other photos in the regular photo app. Just make sure there's a backup copy so you don't delete them because they don't automatically sync like the photos in the photo app.

8. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if there is an app, it's such as hassle when Apple could easily just make a password on the Photos. It's just inconvenient to take a picture, transfer it to another program/App just so it could be in privacy, if you know what I mean.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I don't think Apple is concerned with helping you keep your "private" photos private. That's what the Passcode lock does for the whole thing. If you have something on your iPad you don't want others to see, just don't give it to them. The iPad is a personal thing, like a wallet or a journal. If you want to show it off, keep your "private" stuff somewhere else. I'm thinking...

10. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I've always thought it would be a nice feature to be able to just set a passcode for any individual apps. Something in the "Settings" menu with a list of all of your apps, similar to the "Notifications" settings menu.

I wonder if this is somehow something that jailbreaking developers haven't tried out yet.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

There are literally dozens of apps for that. Even something like Goodreader, almost a "must-have" on everyone's iPad, will let you password protect your pr0n.

12. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Yep, I understand. I was just giving you an option if you really needed it. What ZBoater said below pretty much sums it all up. iPad is a personal device and isn't designed for multiple users.

13. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not that I have anything inappropriate on my iPod, but like I said above, it's just a privacy concern. The example I provided above is a perfect example. I don't want my co-worker looking at pictures of my friends and I on my iPod Touch when I strictly let him use it for the music. I don't feel the need to say "Here's my iPod Touch. By the way, don't go through my pictures, contacts, emails, and iMessages". That will make it seem like I'm hiding something and I don't feel the need to say it when he strictly said he wanted to use it for music. This is not the first time it's happened though. I get it - people are nosy.

14. SunnyDay24 macrumors newbie

But what if you're a parent who wants to let your children use your iPad, but don't want them to be able to access some apps and folders? Or if you have a sibling that insists on you letting him/her play a game? Yes, an iPad is personal in theory. But it's hard to keep it completely to yourself if you have family, friends, etc.

15. DS3 macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if it just had a "guest" mode where it hap the apps but didn't use any of your data or save any of theirs.

16. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound defensive. :p

And I agree the iPad is a personal device, but I'm already having this problem with my iPod Touch with people. :rolleyes:

17. SunnyDay24 macrumors newbie

That is a very good idea. But probably not going to happen.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Good point. I'd get them their own, and enable Restrictions on theirs.

And, like I said, I'd also keep that content somewhere else, like a Dropbox folder.

19. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. Even though I gave my dad my iPod Touch 3G, he still wants to use mine. Actually, my dad and mom. I let them use it but it's such a hassle that I have to delete all my messages because I don't want them reading it and connecting the iPod to the computer, uncheck photos, sync it, and check it back when they're done using it.

You may think it's rare you run into a predicament like this but I could give you a grocery list filled with them.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Hey, I agree. That's why in my house there's two iPads, two iPods, and two MBAs. His and hers. Trust me, it's cheaper in the long run. Marital bliss is priceless... ;)

21. iMaven, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

The iPad is designed for personal use and since it's not designed for sharing, Apple allows you to lock the entire device (and sim) and not specific apps. That's why individual apps are the best route if you want an additional passcode for something. I think some people want Windows features on an Apple device. Maybe one day Apple will surprise us all and include a guest mode, but that would be kind of hard since everything is pretty much tied to the Apple ID (cell data connection, app store, iTunes, etc.)

22. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Just one of the many reasons I'll be looking forward to a jailbreak once the new iPad arrives. I like the ability to password protect individual apps.

23. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

There's two iPod Nanos, three iPod Touch, and still it's not enough.

You may have found a way to tackle one problem down (family), but what about friends? Are you going to buy iPads for them? I'm 20 years old, always out with friends, it's bound to happen that a friend will ask for my iPad to use. I don't have one yet and I am always asking my friend if I could borrow her iPad for web browsing and games. I never go through her stuff out of respect.

24. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Speaking of jailbreak passcodes, I really enjoyed the tweak that would allow you to authorize a wifi network (like your home) to be passcode free, but otherwise activate it.

At home? No password. Accidently leave it sitting somewhere at work or even lose it? No snooping allowed.

25. sekazi macrumors 6502

You can still access the iPod with Passcode lock on. Double tap home and you have iPod controls. No need to unlock.

Just lock it and tell them to skip tracks if they dont like what is playing.