Why I am getting iPhone 4....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hoing, Jun 15, 2011.

1. hoing macrumors member

For me atleast, theres not gonna be a big difference.
    -cant use 4g in area, if there is 4g.
    -iphone 4 is lightening fast, dual core will just be icing on the cake.
    -i am a student. Its college break for summer and I seem to be using my phone more than ever. (droid1, ok phone but still has way too many issues im tired of)
    -i really doubt there will be a bigger screen. We would see a sign of that in iOs 5. Even if there is, my droid 1 already is too big in my pocket.
    -Camera camera camera...everyone seems so excited about the camera upgrade. WTF lol. The 4's cam is gorgeous. I cant fathom waiting 3 months for a camera upgrade.
    -And biggest of all...ipad 1 to ipad 2. Really no big difference. Anyone that says it was a huge leap is full of it.

my 2 cents for people wondering what to do.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

A year later, I think people have decided by now.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

good to know...

Never wrong to get what you need, when you want/need it

4. LoganT macrumors 68020

The iPhone 5 hasn't even been announced yet. Why are we already making "justifying" threads?

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

6. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Just my two cents... the next model is coming sooner than later.... if anything hold out for a bit longer for the next model. The iPhone isnt going to do anything I dont think your droid cant already do even if you prefer the iphone.... if you decide you really like the ip4 then buy an ip4 when the new ones come out at a discounted rate like you can do with the 3gs atm.

7. hoing thread starter macrumors member

theres a thread on page 1 with like 6 people asking what to do in same sit. as me...

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I just bought an iPhone 4 used a week ago, love the thing! I had a black 3Gs and a white 3Gs and love them both but I figured it was time for an upgrade. I just bought 9 screen protectors for it for dirt cheap online and a transparent back for it, and I'm buying a white conversion kit soon. In my opinion, if you're always waiting for the latest, you'll never own anything. Congrats on your purchase! :D

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm waiting out on iPhone 5 so it can support the latest version of iOS by the time my contract is over.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

The iPhone 4 is still a very capable phone and the release of a new one will not make it any slower...however I find it difficult to spend full price on a product that is over a year old when I know a new one is around the corner and will cost the same. Apple is one of the few tech companies that can get away with not reducing the price of their old products because they are so popular.

11. genexrocket macrumors regular

Just get it. Every day you stall, is more time wasting when you could be enjoying your iPhone 4 right now!

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would only say you're a fool if you pay full price for an iPhone 4 now. I got my dad a refurb iPhone 4 16GB for $99. Walmart I think has new ones for $147, and when the iPhone 5 arrives you'll be able to find the iPhone 4 reduced.

13. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the iPhone 4 made it all the way to iOS 6. It's a powerful phone.

14. LoganT macrumors 68020

If the iPhone 3GS went to iOS 5, I definitely think the iPhone 4 will go to iOS 6.

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I dunno. I love my 4, don't get me wrong, but I have to say (and I've had the phone since release day), it was disappointingly laggy early in the game. It's not like it is annoyingly laggy at all, but more so than I'd expect the latest phone to be (seeing as software and OS would be made for it since it's got the latest hardware).

Not to mention speed wise I hear the 3GS was a big jump on the 3G where as the 4 is not so big a jump on the 3GS. I am wondering if the 4 might more be like the 3G and not last so long (after all the 3G wasn't a bump up from the original iphone and the 4 is not a big bump + add in higher resolution screen and I hear sometimes it's slower than the 3GS).

16. CHSeifert, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Love my ip4, even though it has definite shortcomings compared to some droid phones - even with an alfa iOS 5 !

Get the ip4 now, then maybe get the ip5 for Christmas :)

I'll keep my ip4 when I buy the ip5 - will use it for fitness and tennis as spare phone and music/radio 3G stream player !

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Why I'm waiting for the iPhone 5:
    - dual core processor
    - bigger battery
    - 8mp camera
    - color notification light
    - bigger screen
    - improved antenna design
    - more flash memory

Any combination of the above features is enough to sell me on waiting 3 months for the big upgrade :)

18. zOdeac macrumors member

I'm sick of waiting. I'm not rich but i did get me a iPhone 4 and yes i will get the iPhone 5 asap if it has more memory. Cant remember where i seen the video but i know for a fact i seen 64gb on the screen when they demoed a early version of some beta thing for iOS5 on youtube so i will be getting a 5.

Normally i buy a new computer one year and a phone another year so every other year i get one but i just got sick of waiting.

No i don't regret doing it i can always give the phone to family after and upgrade them from a 3g or 3gs so for me no biggy.

Then again my computer and phone make me money so they pay for there self's.

19. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Why not just wait the 2 months?!

You don't necessarily need the speed bumps or bigger screen or 8MP camera but it's a nice add on for the same price!

You'll be able to navigate quickly, the attenagate would probably be solved, Your pictures would come out better, and so on.

The whole want/need is BULL when you only have 2 months time before the new one comes out.

Stick with the phone you have. The phone you have now is the "NEED" it makes calls, checks email, ect.

You are getting the iPhone because you want the features the iPhone has. "WANT".

Wait for the better iPhone to come out.

Patience!

20. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Mid June to a probable late September ship date is closer to four months.

Of course it's vapor-ware at this point, so who knows when it will actually show up.

21. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Exactly, this rumoured September announcement date doesn't mean it will come out then. It will be late September to possibly even October.

If you really want the phone OP go for it, it is a very capable phone and if you're not bothered about having the latest and greatest then that's great! I'm going to wait and see if I'm going to upgrade to the iPhone 5 but if the rumours floating around are true then I will probably keep the 4. I didn't feel the jump from iPad to iPad 2 was significant enough so I'm keeping mine till the next upgrade.

22. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

23. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Really? I'd love to know what your idea of a "big difference" is then, because 8 TIMES the graphics performance is about as big as it gets. Based on videos of iOS 5 running on the iPad 2, and my experience with it running on my original iPad, it seems that iOS 5 runs much smoother on the iPad 2...I know its a beta, and they have some optimizing left to do yet, but its a good indicator of the difference in power between the two devices

24. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Wow, talk about buyers remorse. The iPhone 5 isn't even out yet, and you're talking about how the iPhone 4 is a better buy?
    Tell you what, everyone thought the iPhone 3G was fine and gave very similar excuses not to get the iPhone 3GS, and now look at the iPhone 3G it's become obsolete while the 3GS is still kicking it for yet another generation.

1) True, probably won't have 4G anyway, so this point is useless.
    2) It's not lightning fast, it's started to lag and iOS 5 will be optimized for the dual core iPhone 5. Dual Core isn't icing on the cake, it's many times more powerful than what the iPhone 4 currently has.
    3) Hey, i'm a student as well! I'll be picking up the iPhone 5 when i go back to college in September
    4) Why would we see a sign of a bigger screen in an OS demo? Did we see evidence of a retina display when iOS 4 was previewed? Exactly.
    5) Camera is a huge aspect of the iPhone, the iPhone 5's camera is said to be even better. If you're not into taking pics, it surely wouldn't hurt for all the other nice features + the better camera
    6) iPad 1 to iPad 2 was no big difference? LOL, what were you expecting? I don't think there's anything they can add to the iPad except a retina display.

I can't fathom paying full price for a device that's 1 year old, when for the same price i'll be getting an even better device in a few months. On top of that, being stuck in a 2 year contract so the next available iPhone upgrade will be iPhone 7. So you'll be waiting for the iPhone 7 just like all the soon-to-be iPhone 5 users, except you'll be suck with an older phone. That's not really smart.
    This reminds me of my friend who got a 3G a month before the 3GS came out. He still regrets it to this day.

On top of that, you're giving this as advice for other people? LOL.
    People, take my advice and don't take his.

25. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I think maybe instead of buying a new phone, you should take some English lessons.

That 64gb model you are talking about was an early iPhone 4 model.