Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So as a friend, the harsh reality is that these people are singleminded and cannot look beyond their own huge opinions and never understand that if I simply wantboth the iPA and rIPM it's justification enough.

Actually, I'm thinking if the OP had said simply he's keeping both iPads because he wants to, this thread wouldn't have attracted so much discussion. There's been other threads and posts where people have talked about keeping both, and it never got so controversial. But there was just something about the way he tried to rationalize his reasons to more than just *want* that rubbed me (and apparently other posters) the wrong way. I can't quite articulate what that is, which is why I haven't posted in this thread until now.

For what it's worth, I had the iPad 3, got the original mini when it came out, used both for a year -- mini on the go, 3 at home -- and now I'm using the Air. And for me, it feels redundant to have both Air and rMini. I can certainly understand *wanting* both, but -- well, put it this way, if a guy had a truck and a car, I would understand they were for two different purposes. But if he had two cars, one for work and one for leisure, well, I wouldn't begrudge him owning two cars if he could afford it, but I'd think he was crazy if he tried to tell me they served two different purposes.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
For what it's worth, I had the iPad 3, got the original mini when it came out, used both for a year -- mini on the go, 3 at home -- and now I'm using the Air.

How did you find that? Did you sell your mini and just sticking with the air?

I still have the air and mini and i honestly cant decide which im going to keep.

I cant get away from the air screen, its just so nice to have the big screen again.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
How did you find that? Did you sell your mini and just sticking with the air?

I still have the air and mini and i honestly cant decide which im going to keep.

I cant get away from the air screen, its just so nice to have the big screen again.

Well, I haven't sold my mini yet -- my finances are such that I can afford to buy new devices without having to sell my old ones to pay for them. I'm just not using the mini anymore now I have the Air.

For me, it was really a no brainer to choose the Air over the mini. The only reason I had the mini was because it was lighter and more portable than the 3. But the bigger screen was easier on my eyes, and also easier for me to hit the touch targets, which I often kept missing on the smaller mini screen. The Air is light enough to be, for me, a considerable improvement in portability over the 3, and one-handed use isn't a factor for me, because I even use the iPhone with two hands! And as I've mentioned in other threads, I have no problems thumb typing on the full size iPad, in fact, it's the only device I feel comfortable thumb typing on -- on the iPhone I just peck with a forefinger, and the mini -- I just avoided typing as much as possible on the mini.

All of this isn't much help to you, I'm afraid, as your needs are very different from mine. :(

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Well, I haven't sold my mini yet -- my finances are such that I can afford to buy new devices without having to sell my old ones to pay for them. I'm just not using the mini anymore now I have the Air.

For me, it was really a no brainer to choose the Air over the mini. The only reason I had the mini was because it was lighter and more portable than the 3. But the bigger screen was easier on my eyes, and also easier for me to hit the touch targets, which I often kept missing on the smaller mini screen. The Air is light enough to be, for me, a considerable improvement in portability over the 3, and one-handed use isn't a factor for me, because I even use the iPhone with two hands! And as I've mentioned in other threads, I have no problems thumb typing on the full size iPad, in fact, it's the only device I feel comfortable thumb typing on -- on the iPhone I just peck with a forefinger, and the mini -- I just avoided typing as much as possible on the mini.

All of this isn't much help to you, I'm afraid, as your needs are very different from mine. :(

You must have big hands, im assuming that you meant you type in landscape kn the air? Split keyboard?

I find for the air to be the most comfortable, no case, or the absolute lowest profile case you can find. Im getting better typing with the split keyboard in landscape. Its just annoying that your eyes constantly go back and fourth, left to right. If i keep the air, im gonna look into invisible shield for the back cause no case will be as thin.

I agree on the screen, though mini was ok, i find its easier on the eyes with the air.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You must have big hands, im assuming that you meant you type in landscape kn the air? Split keyboard?

No split, just regular landscape. I tried split, but the keys are too small. Same with portrait, keys too small.

I don't know what it is, I don't think my hands are that big, but I must have long thumbs, or maybe I'm used to stretching them from playing the piano? Anyway, on the mini, the keys are too small, and I feel like my thumbs are about to cross each other as I try to type, lol.

As for covers, I'm currently using my Air with the Apple smart case, but I don't think covers affect the way I type on an iPad -- hmmm, I think the way I type is I rest the iPad on my knees, and lightly grab the sides with my fingers, then swing my thumbs over the keyboard. So the thickness of any covers has no effect on my motion. I don't think I ever try to type while holding my iPad in the air -- that would be too heavy to even attempt!

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
No split, just regular landscape. I tried split, but the keys are too small. Same with portrait, keys too small.

I don't know what it is, I don't think my hands are that big, but I must have long thumbs, or maybe I'm used to stretching them from playing the piano? Anyway, on the mini, the keys are too small, and I feel like my thumbs are about to cross each other as I try to type, lol.

As for covers, I'm currently using my Air with the Apple smart case, but I don't think covers affect the way I type on an iPad -- hmmm, I think the way I type is I rest the iPad on my knees, and lightly grab the sides with my fingers, then swing my thumbs over the keyboard. So the thickness of any covers has no effect on my motion. I don't think I ever try to type while holding my iPad in the air -- that would be too heavy to even attempt!

Oh, we are the opposite :). I have normal size hands, but man the day i sold my ipad 2 last year for the mini, it was a heavenly bliss. I hated the full size ipad. I avoided typing on it cause of the size alone.

Over the past year, I thumb typed on my mini for sometimes hours on end cause its honestly the most natural for me. Could be cause most thumb type with their phones too. I knew i was in love and i couldnt go back to full size ipad again.

Mini in landscape is the perfect size for the keys, portrait even better.

On the air however, it drives me nuts and pisses me off that the keyboard when split is the exact same size as the one on my miini when split. Can you believe that? Yes its just too small, the keys are too narrow. If apple had two adjustment levels for the split board, with the second being the same size as rmini, i can assure you that i would have already returned the rmini. Besides, very very few people are a fan of split boards. Its got a seriously steep learming curve, many cant grasp onto it and it just doesnt feel as good.

What drives me nuts about using a split board, is that say you type a word and all the letters in that word are on one side of the board....instead of me being able to use both thumbs to type it out (and much faster too), you have to use the one thumb to type the entire thing out. Uhhhh.

This will be the deciding factor for me, if i can get used to the split board and get up to speed to the mini over the next couple days with the same accuracu ill keep the air. But not happy about your eyes constantly having to scan left to right back and fourth with a split board. Id imagine itd put some serious strain on the eyes long term

All this i typed out on the mini in 1min.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I had a 4 and a mini for most of the past year. The duo was pretty easy to justify as the mini wasn't retina. I kept the 4 at home and took the mini with me everywhere else.

In anticipation (and fundraising) for the new iPad, I sold the 4. I learned to live with the mini as my sole ipad. It was ok, but not ideal. After a long day of photo retouching for work, coming home to read on the mini was fatiguing.

I had always assumed that the fatigue was caused by the non-retina screen. I came to realize that it was also the size of the screen, and the constant scaling required to bring type up to a comfortable size. Chasing text around the screen as I pinched in and out to scan an article was the source of as much eye fatigue as the lack of sharpness.

So when the Air landed, I figured I would just get that and be done with it. Given the much lighter weight and smaller size, I figured it would be a perfect compromise between the screen of the 4 and the size of the mini. So I sold my Mini.

After getting a horribly two toned yellow/pink screen Air on the very first try, I was rather disheartened. I was immediately reminded of the ipad 3 and what a terrible time I had finding an evenly colored one. (ultimately I never quite did, though I found one that was less egregious than others).

I also discovered that with the Smart Case, the Air wasn't quite so airy. I love the Smart Case, and wouldn't use an iPad without it, but the weight made a big difference, and I feared I wouldn't bring it everywhere like I do the mini. It wouldn't even fit in one of the bags I typically carry, which is a small camera bag. The mini fits it great.

I returned the Air. The rMini was not available yet, so I bought another regular Mini. I planned to "borrow" it from Apple until the rMini came out. After 2 weeks, the rMini was still not available. So I returned the Mini and got another Air, resetting the 2 week return period.

I was again struck by the awesomeness of the Air's size and weight. Such a joy to hold and use. Unfortunately, I was also again struck by the awful 2 toned screen; this time yellow/blue.

Finally, the rMini was up for preorder. In light of the rumblings of limited availability, I ordered a wifi only model and an LTE model. I figured I could sell the wifi one if supplies were truly limited, for a few bucks profit, to offset all the cabs I'd taken to the Apple stores returning their crappy Air screens. :cool:

Of course, the wifi landed first. By a week. I couldn't resist opening it. The screen was yellowish, but mostly even at least. I returned the yellow/blue Air and used the wifi rMini for a week.

When the LTE rMini arrived, my plan was to return the wifi only one, as the wifi only ones were clearly not in short supply as predicted and there was no demand on the secondary market. So much for that idea.

In the few days I had the LTE Mini (which had a much more contrasty and cleaner white screen than the wifi), I felt slightly underwhelmed, not by the screen, but by the form factor. The Air was still stuck in my mind. If the Mini was the miracle of technology of 2012, the Air holds the title for 2013. It's pure tech sex, except for that whole nasty 1/2 yellow screen thing of course.

On my way to return the wifi Mini, it occurred to me that Apple already has my money, and that I could exchange the wifi for another Air, just to give it one last fighting chance at being the sole iPad I own. Then I remembered that I'd already decided the Air was too big for daily carry, and too heavy with the Smart Case. But being the Apple slut I am, I convinced myself to try one more Air anyway, this time a wifi only model, and that if the screen was good, I would keep it and use it strictly at home, like my old 4.

Well the screen isn't even. But it's much less noticeable than the previous Airs. Sometimes I even forget it's yellowish on the left. But it still bugs me at least once a day. I may return it. I may or may not get another.

But one thing is for sure, for me, a bigger screen at home, for extended periods of reading, is crucial. The mini is just too hard on my 45 year old eyes for long periods of time. And not having to pinch and zoom every article on a web page is very nice. Another thing for sure, the Mini is a fantastic road warrior. Especially when those roads are the sidewalks of NYC.

So much to the chagrin of my wife, who thinks I am truly insane, I am back to being a 2 ipad person. For now anyway. I have until January 7th to make it official.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia

Curious question, do you have big hands/fatter fingers?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Curious question, do you have big hands/fatter fingers?

I really don't know. I'm a petite Asian woman, so even though my hands are slightly bigger than what would be expected for somebody my size, an average guy would have hands and fingers a lot bigger than mine. So I just don't know why I find it most comfortable to thumb type on the full size iPad. Maybe I have long thumbs? I'm used to stretching them from playing the piano? I have no idea, lol.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I had iPads 1-3 and then switched to the mini. I bought the Air when it was released but returned it 2 weeks later because I really wanted the retina mini. I used the retin mini but miss the bigger screen. I bought the Air on Black Friday special and I still have the retina mini.

I love having the Air around the house, but when I took my Air out today, I wished I had taken the mini instead.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
I had iPads 1-3 and then switched to the mini. I bought the Air when it was released but returned it 2 weeks later because I really wanted the retina mini. I used the retin mini but miss the bigger screen. I bought the Air on Black Friday special and I still have the retina mini.

I love having the Air around the house, but when I took my Air out today, I wished I had taken the mini instead.

Ive been taking the air out and it hasnt been an issue at all.

Been using the air heavily since last monday,went back to the mini today....my god....such a compromise just from the screen sizes alone.

Right now, the more and more i use the air, the more im leaning towards it. Still need more time though.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Same here. I really like the portability of the rMini when I am on the go, but I miss the bigger screen and enjoy it when I am at home. It's the best of both worlds.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Apple should give us who want both a deal, like buy the air and get the rmini free. :)

I still cant justify $1000 on tablets especially when the usage of each one will be cut in half vs if you had only one. Though mind you, I should say, that I actually made some very quick easy cash couple weeks ago and put that towards the mini and air. Also sold my mini for $250...so technically the upgrade from my 1st gen mini to rmini costed me $2 tax in and the 32gb air costed me $512 tax in. Haha.

But still I would rather not have two tablets. Like the other posters have said, its redundant and money sitting around.

----------

I really don't know. I'm a petite Asian woman, so even though my hands are slightly bigger than what would be expected for somebody my size, an average guy would have hands and fingers a lot bigger than mine. So I just don't know why I find it most comfortable to thumb type on the full size iPad. Maybe I have long thumbs? I'm used to stretching them from playing the piano? I have no idea, lol.

You must have really long thumbs cause I have normal size hands and I cant type on full size ipad in landscape cause you have to scretch your thumbs to reach the centre of the screen. I get hand cramps and its one of the most uncomfortable feelings.

But split the keyboard and that all goes away. It takes a lot of hand eye coordination and its not for everyone cause of the steep learning curve. But im actually liking it now and ironically it has very minimal travel distance for your thumbs to go even compared to the mini full keyboard. Feels quite nice and shocked not more people type with split board.

Even thumb typing on the mini with fullboard, theres still a tiny bit of scretching for the thumbs to reach the centre. which i found to get uncomfortable if im typing a lot at once. I dont seem to be getting this uncomfortable feeling thumb typing on the air in landscape with split board.

Same here. I really like the portability of the rMini when I am on the go, but I miss the bigger screen and enjoy it when I am at home. It's the best of both worlds.

For me, right now, the ONLY advantage i see in the rmini is the size, thats it. The viewing experience is MUCH inferior to the air. I honestly dont know how i managed to go a year on the non retina mini using the device everyday for hours.

Even with the air being larger, bringing it out with me everywhere lately....having the bigger screen more than makes up for it. Its just so much more pleasing and less straining on the eye balls.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You must have really long thumbs cause I have normal size hands and I cant type on full size ipad in landscape cause you have to scretch your thumbs to reach the centre of the screen. I get hand cramps and its one of the most uncomfortable feelings.

Oh, it is a stretch, and I can totally see how most people would find it uncomfortable, but for some reason, I just seem able to do it. And it's not like I'm typing a novel on my iPad, the most I do is type up posts on this forum. Well, sometimes I do my translations on the iPad, but then I'm typing a lot slower because I'm thinking as I go. If I tried to thumb type a school paper on an iPad, I might get hand cramps, who knows?

With the split keyboard, as I keep saying, the keys are simply too small. I can't really see the keys, and I can't hit them accurately. Actually, I'm taking a look at it now, and it looks close to the size of the iPhone keyboard, which I have to peck with a single finger.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Oh, it is a stretch, and I can totally see how most people would find it uncomfortable, but for some reason, I just seem able to do it. And it's not like I'm typing a novel on my iPad, the most I do is type up posts on this forum. Well, sometimes I do my translations on the iPad, but then I'm typing a lot slower because I'm thinking as I go. If I tried to thumb type a school paper on an iPad, I might get hand cramps, who knows?

With the split keyboard, as I keep saying, the keys are simply too small. I can't really see the keys, and I can't hit them accurately. Actually, I'm taking a look at it now, and it looks close to the size of the iPhone keyboard, which I have to peck with a single finger.

Actually the air keyboard when split is the exact same size as the mini when split. I tested it the other day, ya makes no sense, I think Apple really overlooked this. I agree that the key sizes are too small on the air when split, and when I first tried it last week I hated it.

I had no accuracy and was very uncomfortable mainly cause it was awkward, never been a fan of split boards and the keys were too small. my eyes were also constantly going back and fourth from the left to right as I type and found it quite exhausting on my eyes, which I think anyone would haha. But I stuck with it.

Well after only 5 days of heavy usage on it, Ive surprisingly gotten immensely better and quite fast now and am actually quite fond of it.

My eyes dont go from left to right nearly as much and noticed my fingers just memorize where the keys are and I can type quite a bit without even having to look. Even though i wouldnt mind if the keys were a bit bigger, I had gotten used to the key size and what I do appreciate about it is the minimal travel distance for your thumbs.

Less travel results in less fatigue. Ive noticed theres a lot more travel typing on the mini than on the air cause the minis keys are much larger. As comfortable as its been typing on the mini in landscape for a year, i still wouldnt mind if the keys were a tad smaller.

I cant type on the mini with split board cause the device is too small, but with the airs larger size it makes it really comfortable.

I type like a robot on the iphone, I much prefer smaller keys.

AudiA3

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2013
I should also make a thread as to why I bought neither

----------

One might also buy iPod nano, iPhone 4S 3.5", iPhone 5S 4", Macbook Air 11", rMBP 13 and 15" in addition to having iPad mini and Air... Each has its own purposes

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Well...this is a bummer.

Opened this thread to see how others were using both a full size and mini. Ended up mostly reading about people's financial woes/them projecting on the rest of us how they need to spend their money. Could care less about the financial ramifications, not what this thread was about. Was interested to see how others split up their tasks between the two devices.

Have many ideas on how we could use both sizes when onsite for work. Especially since we can use an iPad as an inexpensive remote for our equipment onsite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.