Why I chose iPad 2 over Galaxy Tab 10.1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jestech, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Jestech macrumors newbie

I've been contemplating this decision for weeks and finally decided on the iPad after much research. I though my reasons may be able to assist someone in the same dilemma.

- Tegra 2 is slower than A5, especially when rendering graphics http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/...rmance-explored-powervr-sgx543mp2-benchmarked
    - Android is known for security issues, and I plan on using the device for banking, etc.
    - The latest release of TouchWiz (8/5) is receiving less than stellar reviews
    - iTunes vs. Android Store.....no contest. Very few applications optimized for the 10.1 Androids
    - I already own some Apple devices
    - Running a Synology NAS in my home, and there's an an app for the iPad that allows easy access to it....mixed reviews on that same app for Android.
    - The Android has the advantage of being configurable to the user, but IOS 5 appears it will allow some configuration to the iPad as well.
    - Spent about an hour with both devices and the iPad just seemed the slightest bit snappier
    - No Skype on Android, only Google talk.

I really wanted the Galaxy 10.1 when I started doing my research and believe the display does have an advantage over iPad 2.....but the software was simply too unpolished for me to go that route. I liked the ability to use Flash, but many of the Flash sites I hit with the Galaxy had rendering issues anyway....Tegra 2?

Oh well, just one person's opinion. I have my fingers crossed that I made the right move.

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I went to a Verizon store and tested both of them side by side with to put it simply without any technicalities, the iPad 2 just worked better. Smoother experience, higher quality materials, and polished device.

Kind of funny Apple used metal and high quality materials to achieve this weight and size while Samsung was reduced to using cheap plastic.

3. tstarks33 macrumors regular

Yes OP, that is why... all of us... chose the ipad over every other android tablet.

4. tekker macrumors regular

I'm not saying that the 10.1 is better by any means, but I think you have the wrong idea about somethings about Android:

-Tegra 2 isn't slow by any means, but it does stutter with some graphics or watching 1080p video.
    -Security issues only come with sketchy apps... if one only looked to the 'permissions' tab before allowing it to install, much of the issues would be resolved.
    -Where are you getting these reviews? Everyone I've heard said that it made the Tab even snappier than before! Plus it adds a whole bunch of cool goodies too!
    -Kinda can see what you are going here for... I wouldn't say there aren't enough apps to cover anything specific, but it's missing surplus apps with other detail others may be missing
    -There's a free app with 4.5 stars (649 reviews) and a $4 app with 4 stars (73 reviews)
    -No argument there, with widgets, live wallpapers, and an app drawer, I think it's safe to say the home screen(s) are much better on Android (unless you're really young or old)
    -That's your opinion, not going to argue
    -There is Skype on Android

I didn't really like the tone your post was giving off so to clarify for others, I made a response. Not an Android fanboy by any means, but have a 64 GB iPad 2 and a Motorola Droid.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

i thought the tone was fine. he gave them both a try, he doesn't know why, but he felt the ipad was more responsive. and, as everyone will agree, the app store in ios is far superior to android's. it's a rougher experience. sorry.

i've got an ipod, and never have problems sending pictures. it just works. i cannot get my motorola droid to send them this week. i don't know what is happening. the pictures just pile up unsent until one day the droid dumps them all on people.

yeah. i know that's anecdotal and probably not your experience. just saying that it feels rough around the edges while ios, and the ipad in particular, do not. looking forward to better stuff from android and hardware manufacturers in the future, but it just isn't there yet.

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Cool story bro. You will love the iPad because it just works :D
    Regarding to your security concern, I highly recommend you choose iOS and don't JB it.

7. MRU Suspended

MRU

And the worst thing.....

KIES is the biggest pile of ***** software on both PC and especially Mac.

I bought a galaxy S II and have been less than impressed with both Android Marketplace, issues of incompatibility with apps even though the market tells me they are compatible, and the whole syncing with a Mac.

I am also not a fan of how operating system updates are delivered with no universal rollout of update like in iTunes, with some devices getting updates months and months before others and likewise carriers.

Having also used a xoom and a HTC flyer, I'm not impressed with 2.3.4 or Honeycomb on tablets either - just not for me.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

yep. i am android curious, but because i have no idea if, when, or how updates (sometimes fairly substantial ones) will be delivered, i am not going to spend anything on the tablets. i am sure they work great for people, and i am honestly impressed with the hardware. but, for me this is a huge barrier. apple's regular updates and rather substantial support for older devices has really won me over.

in this case, it's not a hardware or software issue, but a terrible business model that is hampering the devices.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I know buying something with a view to what will be available on it in the future is a big no no, but the iPad 2 has a massive advantage IMHO...

iOS 5 and iCloud.

If Android tablets can be deemed to have caught up, or at least offer a competing experience, then the above will surely allow the iPad to leap ahead once more.

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

For me it was just the opposite. I chose the Galaxy Tab 10.1 over the iPad 2 and I don't regret my purchase at all. The Galaxy Tab is a very nice piece of kit and I really like the Android OS especially with the new Samsung update to the OS.

With that said I plan on buying an iPad 3 or iPad 4. If the iPad 3 is a marginal update i'll wait for the 4th generation tablet.

11. LeakedDave macrumors regular

Get out of here the Tegra2 in the tablets can't even handle quake3droid at 35 frames a second. It's crap.

12. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

That would describe me perfectly.:eek:

Personally, I am not the kind of person who can be bothered to spend loads of time configuring my tablet (if I ever get one). I just want one that runs the apps I want right out of the box.

Or as you put it so succintly, one that just works. :D

13. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

I had considered an Android tablet but I decided to stick with the iPad 2 because it was a far more seamless, "polished" user experience. The interface designers certainly earned their pay. :)

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I was about this close -> |.| <- to buying the 10.1. Then I realized that it runs Android with a semi-outdated processor, and I snapped out of it. Waiting for iPad 3 here...

15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Smart move. The iPad 2 is also running a semi-outdated processor. Tegra 3's will be out when the iPad3 is. Buy either quick though, as they'll both be semi-outdated within a week. Something to do with Moore's Law. :D

16. DNAppleGold macrumors 6502

Agreed re tone. So often people line up on either side of the issue with inflammatory statements. Whether you agree or disagree with the conclusion, I appreciated the explanation.

17. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

...dang. i was expecting to read something like: i chose the Ipad2 over the Galaxy because I am a fanboy or something. :p

18. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I was thinking about getting an Android tablet but it really seems way too early. After a few years, I am sure it will be great.

19. LostAggie macrumors 6502

Just went through the same process. Android is neat but just not there yet...

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The iPad works great for us on the living room coffee table.

To carry, though, I prefer a 7" tablet (booklet?) in a nice leather datebook case. Much more convenient and subtle to keep with you.

I also prefer 7" devices for reading and browsing in bed. Easier to hold and view up close. However, I still keep an iPod touch in every bathroom :)

As for apps, other than Flipboard, Android has pretty much all the same primary apps that I use most.

21. sumone macrumors regular

I think this post would have received more objective comments had it been posted on a less subjective site.

However, I have recently received an iPad 2 and i'm quite pleased with it. I'm loving it more everyday. I'm not all that familiar with android but I will say that after going to the Verizon store and playing with the Galaxy Tab a bit, I was thoroughly impressed. In fact, I enjoyed the Galaxy Tab far more than the iPad 2. I liked the fact that the Galaxy Tab offered me a different experience compared to the iPad. For the most part if you have owned an iPod Touch or iPhone the iPad isn't going to be too much different overall, and after years with the iPhone I was looking for something new.

I agree that android isn't where iOS is just yet but they have been making great strides. I'm not an authority on the matter but I wouldn't say that the iPad is better but simply different. Depends on what sort of experience you're looking for. While i'm not a Galaxy Tab owner I do still think it's a great device, i'm looking forward to owning an android tab sometime in the future.

22. Pared macrumors 65816

If you REALLY think about it - the entire Google experience is ALREADY "in the cloud."

Apple is just creating something that seems to be more centralized and user friendly. The concepts are very similar but marketing will make them seem different...

23. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Some days I'm glad I can be objective. I currently have an iPad 1 & a Toshiba Thrive (Android 3.1). It's not quite the same comparison, so I can only compare OSes. Android is getting better, but Apple has at least a 1 year head start on most anything Android has right now. They have had the time to make it look, feel, & act more polished than Google. My biggest problem with Android is it's compatibility. Some popular apps require 2.3.4. My current phone only has 2.3.3. Or some phone apps (that don't have any need to have a cell connection) can't be used on an Android tablet. I only have one game that is optimizedfor the tablet. The other games have trouble studdering when switching between levels. For a processor that is supposed to be faster than the one in my iPad 1, it doesn't show. Anything related to the Samsung tablet I can't really comment on (screen clarity, TouchWiz, etc). But, a great tablet is typically geared towards a good user experience & Apple focuses hard on that. Google pretty much hands the manufacturers the plate & says, "Put whatever you want on it." Android phones are worse. The carriers add more junk on it. I must admit that I'm glad Steve Jobs doesn't allow bloatware on the iPhone.

24. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Here's a somewhat different perspective for what it's worth. My Android experience goes back to version 1.6 when the first Motorola Droid was introduced. I needed a new smartphone and the iPhone wasn't available on Verizon at that time. Besides, I was intrigued with Google's efforts and wanted to give it a try.

Overall, I've been extremely satisfied and impressed by Google's efforts, especially in the face of the challenges faced by Android on a variety of different hardware platforms. And I've spent many hours tweaking, customizing, and experimenting with two generations of Android smartphones. It's been fun and educational, especially for someone whose experience with OS's goes back to UNIX in the early 1970's.

I bought my iPad 2 in April, before the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was available. And while I'm impressed by the reviews (and even more impressed by the specs of the forthcoming ThinkPad Tablet from Lenovo) I still would purchase the iPad.

Why? Two major reasons. First and foremost is that I share my iPad with my seven year old daughter. And while the Android marketplace has every conceivable app I need, including some that are actually superior to their iOS counterparts (e.g. turn by turn navigation), the availability of hundreds of apps for kids on the iPad is an important factor in my decision.

The second reason is almost as important and somewhat counter-intuitive. I already maintain five (Windows) computers, two Android smartphones, external disk drives, cloud storage, and all the associated wifi network hardware/software and applications in my household. Yeah, it's a tech-heavy household and looks more like a small business that grew like topsy than a family. But I think we're not THAT unusual these days.

It might seem logical to leverage my hard won knowledge of Android in the form of a Galaxy or another Android tablet. But in fact, there is very little "economy of scale" in this area. Adding another Android device means adding to my administrative burden. More customization, more maintenance, etc.

In contrast, I have to do almost NOTHING to maintain and administer my iPad other than sync it with iTunes from time to time. Yes, I have to update apps several times a week. But the upside of the heavily regulated iOS environment is that I can be pretty sure that any app I download or update will work exactly as intended. Updating is a snap and I don't have to worry that apps won't play nicely with one another (in part because the extremely limited multi-tasking in iOS largely eliminates that possibility.)

It's true that interfacing with my Windows computers is somewhat problematic. But the same challenges would exist with an Android tablet. Only a true Windows tablet would eliminate that issue and there isn't a viable alternative in that environment at this point.

And yes, if I wanted to heavily customize my iPad I'd have deal with jailbreaking and all that that entails. But I don't. I just want a content consumption, limited content creation, and light gaming device that's more portable than any of my computers, more readable than my smartphone, and lower maintenance than anything else I own.

I fully expect Android tablets to be highly competitive with the iPad over the next 12-24 months. And if a tablet were a central focus of my computing environment I'd be frustrated to put up with Apple's "philosophy" regarding what I need and don't need on a tablet. But for my uses, even though I'm no Apple fanboy, the iPad is a better choice.

----------

Interesting point of view. As you can see from my post above, I'd disagree with a number of your points or at least have a very different point of view. But by the same token I find it interesting that we would reach the same conclusion.

25. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Hardware-wise they're all virtually the same thing. Android does have closer to true multitasking, and is an open platform, but yeah, the iPad's got more programs.

Flash performance isn't the FAULT of Tegra...it's just sites that are designed around having a real PC aren't going to do real great on something vastly less powerful...hence why iOS skips not only Flash, but cheats at rendering in other ways too.

Hmm...I guess HP's Touchpad can mostly handle playing flash video, though I've heard scrubbing through it doesn't work or doesn't work well (at least with the initial software release).

Do wish you could install Flash though on an iPad!