why I didn't pull the trigger yet...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, Feb 28, 2011.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

2. ozred macrumors 6502

3. Tibits macrumors regular

So you are switching from a MacBook to an iMac? Those are desktop chips.

4. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

True, but the laptop equivalent cannot be that far away!

5. T-bag Guest

You can't be in true need of a new MBP if you're deciding to wait, only a couple of days after release.

EDIT: And why rub it in here, as in telling us we all made the wrong decision, indicating we are impatient idiots? :p I don't get it.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have almost another year of waiting in front of you then. MBPs were just updated and Apple won't add a new chipset with an SSD as a quiet "mid-cycle" update. Maybe next year.

7. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

He might as well wait for next year's rumored MBP re-design then.

Anyone who needs an MBP now would be a fool to pass up the speed demons Apple just released.

8. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I'd guess late this year, like when the unibodies where first released.

9. solyd macrumors regular

10. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never say never when it comes to Apple!!!
    Latest surprise was a Thursday release for what is considered a major revamp!

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The issue is that there won't be new CPUs and GPUs until early 2012. Sure Apple can use the current ones and give a 100MHz CPU bump to each model but currently and what I hope for, it looks like Apple might go with once a year upgrade when Intel releases their new stuff. IMO it's better than updating a product with soon-to-be previous gen components and then pushing the next update to the middle of the next year.

But Apple doesn't do updates very often. It took over 10 months for this update to happen so I would not expect a new update before late this year at the earliest, my guess would be early 2012 though.

12. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I pulled the trigger last week and love it. Enjoying my brand new shiny, fast Quad Core MBP. Can't wait to drop the Vertex 3 SSD in it.

13. prism, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011

prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, speed deamon is a very relative term here. Unless you are buying the top end and are ready to fork out close to 3k for it.
    For example, the quad core in the low end does indeed cream my 2010 low end i5 in such things as compression (which I almost never do), but it also comes with a crippled GPU that is bested by my 330m equipped MBP.

Sorry, but the past is in no way an indicator of the future as disclaimers tend to point out when it comes to investments!

Did you stop taking the red pill again?

14. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Wow.

Hey. You must be new here. And by new I mean missed the practices of a billionaire corporation for the last decade.

15. solyd macrumors regular

Ahaha either that or you're taking too much of it.

16. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL, even if there is a specific pattern from the past, only a fool would extrapolate it as a given for the future. You must be new to life itself!

17. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

I'm the fool? Look at this thread, our statements (and all your exclamation points). Whose points are more tried and true? Not yours. Get a grip, man.

I'm not making a promise. I'm telling you which is 99% more likely and why it's stupid to hold out. Especially with Apple who doesn't reveal anything and doesn't implement everything.

18. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I thought Intel was on track to release the 22nm variants of Sandy Bridge later this year ...

19. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

True but I guess this more of an issue for someone who is buying the MBP for the first time or has one that is 2+ yrs old. I forget to mention that I have a 2010 i5 which I bought right after it was released and am very happy with it. So waiting is not really a problem.

20. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

while i am not going to get too involved you cant predict what apple will release but they do tend to stick to their cycles the iphone has been released every summer since 2007( the vzw iphone 4 did not introduce an entirely new device just cdma banding, like the added quiet BTO 2.8 i7 option for the 15/17" MBPs in october), imacs have twice a year updates, mbp's always in spring area, ipods in september, ipad 2 event is wednesday around the same time it was last year.

So while you cannot predict the technology the update will bring you can almost to a certainty predict the general time frame of their releases for what they consider substantial updates.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iMac uses low powered laptop MoBO. Unlikely to be in iMac.

22. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ivy bridge scheduled for fourth quarter.

23. mark28 macrumors 68000

There are coming new CPU's for the desktop market this year, because only the mainstream CPU's have been released . The high end Sandy Bridge CPU's for the desktops has not been released yet ( the 6-core and 8-core Sandy Bridge desktop CPU's ).

So I wouldn't rule out new laptop CPU's this year too.

24. ChronoIMG, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011

ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

prism, you're a dreamer. But that's cool. You have an i5 already so you should be happy with it's dual core performance. My MBP is almost 4 years old, so my new one is a beast. I'll keep it for four years or so then upgrade again to something that will blow my current one and 3 refreshes away.

You need to get a grip and stop chasing the technology carrot. It obviously impacts your enjoyment of your current MBP. It's obvious your jealous of the quad cores and you're looking for any shred of information to talk yourself out of buying one.

25. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree with your first paragraph but your second one in which you attempt to analyse me a complete miss. I hope you are not a shrink for the sake of your would be patients.