Why I Didn't Purchase the iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ggibson913, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I am an iPad 1 owner (64 GB wifi), like many folks as soon as the product was announced I went to Gazelle and got a quote which would pay a little better than half of the replacement in an iPad 2.

I was all set to go with my plans when something gave me pause. I really don't need the iPad 2, it was just my techno-lust getting out of control again. I can still surf the web, I can still be moderately productive and the extra $400 I would have spent can be used to turn my iphone into a mobile hotspot. After reading the reviews of the iPad 2 I became more convinced because most reviewers say that although without a doubt the iPad 2 is better than the original, it may not be so much better that you would trade up. So in the end I am glad that I just thought it through and decided to stick with what I have.

Are there any others out there who are keeping the original iPad? If so I would love to hear from ya.

P.S. - I am not bashing those who traded up, normally I would have been online with you except for the story above.

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apparently, apple is having a hard time meeting the iPad 2 demands. It's sold out of everywhere.

3. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I got to the store, looked at the product and got so excited to get the 2.
    Then I looked again, and looked again, and finally said no. Albeit, I can sell it and pay a little extra to get the "newest gadget", I didn't.

It has camera, facetime, thinner, and many more features I will never use. I barely use the one I have, so I'm good. I might update the next round. :D

4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I went through the same thought process but decided to go for it. I'm glad I did, but I doubt I'd be gripped with remorse if I didn't. After all, it's important to remember that the sense of urgency that Apple builds around these things is mostly smoke and mirrors. If, down the road a few weeks you decide you have to have one, they'll be available.

5. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

That's true. Who knows, in a few months I might be needing facetime! :p

6. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

FaceTime should always appear in italic.

:)

7. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

iPad 2 is really good

I thought the same way. I didn't need to upgrade but then I tried out the iPad 2 games and let me tell you the games alone is worth the upgrade. Performance is enormously better than the iPad 1.

I asked myself would I be happy using the iPad 2 vs iPad 1 and I didnt hesitate to upgrade. Everything about the iPad 2 is faster and just so smooth. I had the money and I didn't hesitate to upgrade.

There's no question about it the iPad 2 is really awesome. It is the device to get. I would not buy an iPad 1 no matter what if I had money. The savings in the ipad1 would not justify the weaker performance of the ipad1 vs the 2.

If it makes you feel better u don't have to upgrade. But I along with 100's thousands on day 1 am extremely pleased.
    :)

8. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

I was a 1st gen user. When I saw the iPad2, I had to keep telling myself I didn't need it, like almost every single day. This incessant self-reminding just showed how much I wanted it. So I got it. Problem solved. Funny how that worked out, eh?

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I didn't buy one because I don't want one...I want an iPhone 5 .:D

10. ny2nctova macrumors member

ny2nctova

I have the 3G iPad 32GB since the release of the iPad 3g, I am not getting the new iPad. First off I have an iPhone 4 which has the same exact cameras, I don't think its necessary for me to have two devices with the same cameras, if I'm outside with my iPad chances are i would always have my iphone on me since i use it as a "phone". So the camera part i don't care about, i know the processor is faster and its great for gaming, but i my self am not a HARDCORE gamer and i think past time games are fine like angry birds, doodle jump etc.

So yeah im going to let this iPad pass, hopefully next year they include BETTER STUFF.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Actually, your iPhone has a much better camera than the new iPad.

12. radiohed macrumors regular

I have had a 16gb 3G since April launch. I like the iPad 2, but don't care about the cameras. Some extra speed really doesn't validate the expense of upgrading for me. I do love the white model though. :D. I will probably upgrade when the next revision comes out. What I want most is a higher res display. For now, I'm still loving my iPad 1! The 4.3 update makes it even better. :cool:

13. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I stood in line for three hours yesterday to get the white 3G 64GB version. Got it home set it up, and then boom. I realized just how bad the backlight was bleeding. I mean like vintage B&W laptop screen bad. I returned it today and got a 32GB 3G iPad 1. I had a 16GB wifi and I really just needed 3g. I saved $255.00. My games are good enough, and I am happy.

14. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

you did the right thing....of course the ipad 2 is better..no doubt...but it is not worth a large financial lose if you have an iPad...when you read stuff like he ipad 2 is enormously faster...its laughable...like the ipad 1 is slow?

relax and enjoy what you have.