Why I don't want to see an iPhone 5 on Tuesday

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryuok, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ryuok, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

ryuok macrumors regular

Apple is much more of a visionary than Samsung, and competing on that screen size is not what Apple is all about. Without meaningful hardware upgrade that will somehow work with their software (incl. cloud) to revolutionize something, there is no point in redesigning the case and including a slightly bigger (albeit technically inferior because it's of the same resolution so the dpi is lower) just so that fan boys can say Wow.

Apple's revolutionary products are always led by innovation in user input, be it the mouse, click wheel or multi touch. The voice based input, and the NFC in the future, are truly the things that will make Apple shine. Until Apple can economically integrate LTE and NFC into a redesigned phone of the same or higher industrial design quality of iPhone 4, I do not see why Apple should try to make the same phone thinner with a larger screen. That's not revolutionary enough for Apple to even bother redesigning.

I will be really happy and will buy on day one if Apple comes up with the 4S on Tuesday, and keeping the same design as the iPhone 4. It will send out a signal that Apple understands what this smartphone business is really about.

2. cward0715 macrumors regular

3. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

4. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

Most of the threads are about the same rumor anyway. At least I approached my topic from a different angle.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

Because he likes flooding the forum with useless threads drowning out the useful and interesting ones.

6. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

haha

rofl man , gotta admit that was hilarious :cool:

7. james92se macrumors 6502a

In all honesty, I would gladly take a "repackaged" iPhone 4 with a larger screen and thinner housing. Stick all the iPhone 4 guts into said package and call it the iPhone "5" for all I care.

I just absolutely want a larger screen, and I think most other people do too.

All the other stuff (slightly more powerful, better camera, etc.) would just be icing on the cake.

8. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow is all I can say to this thread

9. brodas macrumors regular

10. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

Slightly off topic, how many of the iPhone 5 fan boys out there do you think are AAPL stock shorters trying to profit from a stock drop on Tuesday? With a little rational thinking, you'd know that Apple couldn't possibly release an iPhone 5 to compete with a beefed up iPhone 4S, yet they keep fanning the blame. This is beyond madness!

----------

Yet all the TS starting "I guarantee there will be an iPhone 5" threads are extremely busy people who must have gotten their assistants to post their threads for them.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I stopped reading at the word "fan boy". I simply can't take anyone who uses that word seriously.

12. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Mate, Apple will be releasing the 4S for sure. All evidence points to that. So you should be looking forward to lining up. But this to me also confirms the existence of a new 5th generation iPhone that will run the A5 chip and iOS 5. You know, the iPhone 5.

Personally, I think the reason for the 4S is for people who like the 4's design so much that they don't want to leave it for the 5's new "radical" design.

By the way, I think Apple is all about innovation, not numbers. Sure, the 4 might be the best selling iPhone, but if they only keep it at 4S, then that shows a lack of innovation and forward thinking. Something I am not expecting from Apple.

13. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same here. Whatever huge nerd made up that little phrase was a 'fan-boy' of another company and butt hurt because someone who appreciates apple products was dogging on their company haha.

14. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

To me, lack of innovation and forward thinking is putting in a slightly bigger screen and a better camera and call it iPhone 5. I call it the "Samsung mentality".

I expect the iPhone 4S, albeit with the same form factor, a truly innovative and forward thinking product because of the innovation in iOS, input method as well as the iCloud.

15. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

Sir no one is going to upgrade to or purchase a higher priced iPhone because of cloud and ios5. Here's why: they are available on both.

16. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently many people did similar thing with the 3GS.

17. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

Um no, they did that because the phone was superior to the 3G, not because of software.

18. phamduc.minhanh macrumors newbie

phamduc.minhanh

Greetings,

First, there is no need to create double threads just to flood this forum with your whatsoever opinion. One is enough. People will read, so do not worry, unless you are trying to seek some attention here or from Mr Tim Cook so that he ought to present an iPhone 4S on this Tuesday.

Second, I believe that Apple is not following 'Samsung mentality' or what have you. They, as any other profit-maximising firms, are trying to gain as much profit as possible. Thus, they will produce commodities that will help them achieve this goal, so any strategies that they think can help do so will be adopted. As such, if they find that majority of their current customers and even potential ones are more fond of a bigger screen on the next generations of iPhone, they will do so.

Third, my response to your previous thread is: 'I am rather worried about your worry, mate'.

Lastly, please do not create one more thread similar to these two.

Cheerio,

Pham Duc Minh Anh

19. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

Holy **** do I ever agree with you. Anyone who uses that term is a complete tool. I can't even type or speak the words because it literally sounds so dumb and nerdy. It's language for an 11 year old.

20. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Yeah, you're right. Not updating the hardware in order to improve user experience (in which Apple is renowned for) would be really innovative. :rolleyes:

21. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm coming from someone with a cartoon mario in a tiger suit as his avatar

----------

Even though you don't agree with me, you do not have to resort to name calling.

----------

Pham,

I never said Apple is following the Samsung mentality. I coined the phrase to describe people on this forum who blindly believe that the only thing innovative for Apple to do is to redesign the case and add a bigger (yet inferior) display.

And I strongly disagree with your view that Apple will please the so called consumer demand. Steve Jobs famously said that people don't know what they want until you show it to them.

Before the first iPhone most people expect to see a keyboard on a smart phone. If Apple was to give what "the majority of their customers" want, iPhone would have a keyboard.

Just because people want a 4.3inch screen doesn't mean a 4.3inch screen is the best thing for a phone. What if people want a 5inch screen next year? I'm sure Samsung would push for that direction. If by not having a 4.3inch screen iPhone will fall behind competition, then Apple is fighting a losing battle because it doesn't take Samsung a heart beat to produce yet another Galaxy with yet another spec boost. ;)

Cheers,

Richard

22. -iKris- macrumors regular

Same for me.

All I care about for this update is a bigger screen. The reason I want a redesign is because that would almost certainly mean a bigger screen.

I'd have no problem with the current iPhone 4 with a slight mod to allow a bigger screen and the new camera and processor etc.

For me, Tuesday is simple: 4" screen, get it. Same screen, start considering other phones for the first time in years.

23. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

And meanwhile nobody at Apple misses you...

24. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Mate, I'm not sure if I'm getting this. You're saying that innovation from Apple would be to keep the same exact design that they had worked on more than 2 years ago in 2009? Or are you saying that if Samsung creates a thin smartphone with a bigger screen, that that's somehow not innovation, but a "Samsung mentality"?

I think we should first agree on the definition of innovation first. Oxford Dictionary says that innovation is defined as a new method, idea, or product.

Now with this, I just can't agree with you on the fact that, somehow, improving or changing the external design of their iPhone isn't innovation, but "Samsung mentality." That seems to go against the very definition of innovation, and frankly is a bit under thought. Why would changing the design of your phone to better it indicate a failing in Apple, and why are you suggesting that Samsung's changes to its line of phones degrade their phones rather than improve them?

25. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

is a 4 inch iphone 5 and a 3.5 inch iphone 4s really all that bad of a thing ...

personally i believe they will be releasing both on tuesday since the 4S seems to already have been confirmed by apple leaks ... and the fact i believe that "leak" was intentional to slow down the hype so that when they do show the 5 they will be impressed.