Why i feel like android will never kill out the iPhone even if its on at&t

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iperson21, Jan 3, 2011.

1. iperson21 macrumors regular

ok, you read the title.
    now, android could be outselling the iphone, or the iphone could be outselling the android. but the iphone will always have an advantage. it just works. and it works smoothly, with nice effects and everything.
    android phones, i use my friends droid all the time, it feels like they just don't feel good when using them. sure its open market and all that, but iphone os, other than all those features that android has such as open marketplace, widgets, home screens, buttons for different actions, i feel like iOS wins everytime.
    android, in my opinion, won't turn out so good because google keeps rolling out updates like there is no tomorrow, and the manufacturars add their UI to it, which slows it down, and now every phone has a different feel to it.
    its like windows, where the OS and hardware, and now, service, are all by different companies. and iOS is like Mac, which we all know in most standpoints, beats Windows.
    now i may be wrong for google's nexus s, where the whole process is controlled by google, and possibly better.
    please share your thoughts.
    and i am no apple fanboy. not at all. i actually want a droid because im using an env2 right now and want a phone that has apps.

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Oh yes, because your alarm not going off.. a glitch that's happened more than once now, is a sign of a phone that "just works".

At least Google fixes their junk when it stops working right. HTC has finally started to standardize their hardware buttons (thank god), and if you HAVE used the home/menu/back/search buttons enough to get used to it, you'd probably like it.

Believe me that took me a few days to get used to as well XD

You're also right about the varying user experience, but what's the problem with that? You buy what you want (I went with vanilla myself lol)

3. brendu macrumors 68020

AT&T does have android phones, it even has a Galaxy S phone which is arguably one of the best android phones. I do agree that the iPhone "just works" most of the time but as the previous poster said they have now had this alarm clock glitch twice. Thats pretty bad. No system is perfect and to each his own. If I couldn't jailbreak I would not have bought an iPhone. I want to customize my gadgets to fit my needs. Neither system will ever kill the other but thats whats so great, they will continue to drive the other forward with innovation.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Step One: Bought BlackBerry 8300 for business. Hated my life.
    Step Two: Bought iPhone 3G. Loved it.
    Step Three: Bought iPhone 4. Bliss.
    Step Three and a half: Went with something else for a bit. Android. Did it live up to the hate or the hype?
    Step Four: Bought Samsung Captivate. Mixed feelings, mostly hated it. It's customizable, but it has that 'dirty' feel that I get on a computer that hasn't been maintained for a while, with crapware and random files jammed all over the hard drive. Indeed, the phone began to lag. Plus, that setup that you have to perform in the beginning is pretty sad, 2 hours to get rid of all the bugs and install software to make it an acceptable phone?
    Step Five: Returned Captivate, reactivated iPhone 4. Life is good.

5. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Good thing Android doesnt have bugs :rolleyes:
    http://phandroid.com/2010/12/31/android-sms-bug-still-plaguing-users/

Id rather a bug make me a few minutes late than send the wrong SMS message to the wrong person...

As for "Google fixing their junk" the bug has been around since June of last year despite the updates in the OS (Froyo, etc.)

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

This has happened to my daughter no less than four times now. She keeps sending txt messages to her girlfriend and they show up to me instead. The thing is, you can't even tell that you SENT them to the wrong recipient, as they show as if you sent them to the CORRECT one (even in that persons history).

Total epic fail. Funked up alarm? No biggie....I don't rely on gadgets to wake me up in the first place. But send the text to the wrong recipient? Jeebus.

7. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

my friends galaxy s I played with sure was as smooth as the iPhone 4

this thread fails

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My Droidx just works and if I don't like an app, like the email app (which I hate), I can get a replacement. With the iPhone, apple typically rejects apps that compete directly with their stock apps.

This paragraph makes little sense. You played with a friend's droid and it doesn't feel good but its open market? There are advantages and disadvantages to a completely open marketplace, as well as a completely closed marketplace. You pick the platform that best suits your needs.

Actually that's incorrect, yes Android had an aggressive release schedule, but google has already mentioned they're increasing the time frame between releases. You infer that apple doesn't do that but, OSX early on (like android) was updated annually, and then slowly apple increased the time span between updates.

The different UIs is a valid complaint and one that Google has listened too, and they're moving in a direction to have a better more consistent UI. Are they there yet, no, not even close.

Its better if you prefer a completely vanilla UI, no SenseUI, or MotoBlur. It gets updates first because its Google's baby and you can easily root it and load custom Roms.

While you may think that android cannot hold a candle to the iPhone, and that's your opinion. Numbers are on the side of android, thanks mostly to multiple carriers and multiple manufacturers. This in of itself has advantages and disadvantages.

In a sense history is repeating itself. Apple had a single well thought out UI and computer that changed the computer world. Macintosh. Microsoft produced windows and every single computer maker built different hardware to run windows. Some with great results others with not so great.

Like then, apple will have some marketshare, but overall, google and/or MS whose approach is more towards volume, i.e., numerous carriers and manufacturers will surpass apple.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Apple doesn't put much stock into ruling markets. They cater to a certain demographic which appreciates their ethos, and that segment will continue to exist regardless of anyone else's efforts. Android will just be another Microsoft Windows...for better and/or worse whilst Apple will keep laughing all the way to the bank.

$50bn in reserve and a market cap of $300bn was it?

10. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

My favorite Text Tones are Ladder and Sherwood forest, Android cant top that!:rolleyes:

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Have you even looked in the app store? There are plenty of email apps and other apps similar and with the same functions as the stock apps.

The advantages and disadvantages are almost non-existence between the two to the average user.

I disagree with history repeating itself. Those were way differ times. More like the Genesis of personal computers

12. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Another reason the iPhone is better.. texts go to the correct people. Google hasn't fixed that little problem yet and it's been around since March. The whole Android thing is a joke. I've played around with most Android phones and they all share one thing: They're crap.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I saw an article a PC World today about something like this. Apple doesn't care about controlling the market. Apple cares about making money. Do you think that Chick-fil-A's owners care that McDonald's has sold bajillions and bajillions of hamburgers? Do you think the BMW people care about Ford's sales?

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No I have a droidx just look at my sig

15. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Another thread about opinion. I wonder if somewhere there's a Coke forum and they're giving "facts" as to why Pepsi is the inferior brand.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Then how can you say ...... :confused:

17. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

You have a good point here.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's all about opinions, not which company sells more than the other. I have some friends who moved from iPhone to Android and haven't looked back at all. On the other hand, I still have most of my friends on an iPhone 4 because they liked their 2G,3G or 3GS iPhone.

I tried the Captivate out a little in store and I have to say its really nice. I saw a couple of posts saying it was buggy though.

Because its happened before.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Just cause something happened before doesn't make it typical.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

True but I don't think that was the point that maflynn was trying to get across. I think that apps which are similar to iOS apps are rejected. (Almost always). You wont find something else in the app store to handle carrier text messages, for example (but in Android you will).

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

But you will find Calculators, Notes, Browsers, Camera, Email(which was really what maflynn was referring too), Alarm and etc: apps that can replace the usage of stock apps.

I think far fewer than often that apps are rejected for being to similar to stock apps. If anything, history seems to prove the opposite.

22. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Well, to each his own. I've been playing with my moms evo running froyo and I must say, I really like it. I think the next batch of android phones are going to be stellar. I'm 90% sure my next phone will be some sort of android. I want to wait untill June or July to see what apple puts out, because you can't count them out, but if it's just an iPhone 4 refresh, I'll probably be going android as long as the screen res is high, and the camera is on par with the iPhone, which I think the next breed of androids will be. Either way, I need another phone because I hate this damn proximity sensor.

23. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; SonyEricssonX10i Build/2.0.A.0.504) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I think the point they're trying to make is that downloaded apps can be completely integrated into the os.

For example: when you tap an email address on both ios and android, the default email client opens with the email automatically input into the 'To:' blank. if you install an alternative email client on the iphone, you can't tap the email address in, say, safari, to have it automatically open in your alternative client. On android, you can set the downloaded client to have the same level of integration as the default app.

24. maflynn, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Easy, I read it here, and other places. Whenever apple makes a silly rejection, like when apple rejected a Pulitzer prize winners political cartoon app because, well because it was too political or rejected an anti-islam app, but kept the similar anti-Christian app. Apple's rejection makes the news frequently because its closed, and we Americans like our freedom.

Yes, that's my point. Apple does reject apps that conflict with apple's core apps. I was unaware of competing email apps, because as I mentioned, I don't own an iPhone just yet. I used too, and I'll probably get an IP5 or an IP4 (I mentioned this in other threads so I'll not hijack this thread with my tale of woe).

25. Al3x87 macrumors member

Yeah, you are right! Android will never be better then IOS. Especially now, when Ip4 has gyroscope. I just love this thing:)