Why I find the notch oddly soothing.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Nov 4, 2017.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I've been traveling by air since I was a little kid. I would fly to my grandparents every year, and from age 8 on, I flew alone. (This was the 1970s, before the outrage brigade ruined everything) I was treated like royalty by the airlines. I was fascinated by planes and pilots and the view out the window and airports and all of it.

And I was off to grandma and grandpa's! Without parents! Which meant getting spoiled with toys, eating out, always having 2 desserts, no chores, a swimming pool, etc.

It was a magical time in my childhood.

Fast forward to yesterday when my iPhone X arrived. The first thing I do when I get a new phone is try some new wallpaper. As I scrolled through my camera roll wallpaper collection, I kept stopping at the sky images and trying them. For some reason, seeing the sky images as my lock screen made me smile and feel oddly calm and happy.

It wasn't til today that I figured out why...

[​IMG]

The notch has been part of my visual vernacular for most of my life, and I subconsciously associate it with the carefree days of childhood, looking out the airplane window, on my way to grandma and grandpa's.

Jony Ive you sneaky bastard.

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I don’t understand notch hate. I don’t mind it one bit

3. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

That is cute!

I am just fine with the notch, even though I spend more time looking out of airplane windows now than I did as a kid :)

4. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Interesting take on it, but I can see what you mean. The notch doesn’t bother me, I think it was less than an hour before I stopped noticing it in normal use. Storm in a teacup if you ask me.

5. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I think notch accepters are of the mindset "Because Apple." whereas most regular people look at it as a design flaw. It's simply not normal to have such a defect in full view of the screen. You can guarantee that it'll be gone when Apple figure out how to resolve the flaw.

6. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

It’s not a defect though, it’s by design. They could have just put a bar across the top like everyone else. But instead they used the space for a bit extra screen where they could put the clock, battery and so on without using the normal screen real estate.

Some won’t like it, I think it’s a clever use of otherwise dead space. It’s what I would have done if I were designing it.

7. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Disagree. Apple has bet that they can get away with having this flaw in the design until they figure out how to rectify it. You'll see that occur because their marketing campaign for the iPhone XI or XII will be telling you "No. More. Notch." Remember, Apple Marketing is very clever at manipulating the people into parting with their hard earned euros.

8. mdlyen macrumors member

This seems to be missed a lot. Everyone focuses on the notch taking away screen rather than the ears giving additional screen. Glass half full, I guess?

9. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Well we’re all entitled to our opinions, that’s what makes the world interesting.

There’s no doubt that as the technology can be shrunk the notch size will reduce. Unless they put more tech in there.

But for the time being I personally think it’s ridiculous to call it a flaw. Maybe some people prefer a solid bar in the Samsung/LG/whoever style. I’d rather they used the extra redundant space more sensibly, which is what they have done.

10. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

The real reason the notch exists is so Apple Marketing can claim they have an full edge to edge display. They claim it uses the "full surface". Apple engineers products to fit the marketing bubble hence the existence of the design flaw. Don't fall for Apple Marketing's mind bending semantics.

11. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

That’s the main reason I didn’t get an X, because of that ugly notch. That and the hideous traffic light of a camera on the back.

12. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Yeah, that’s exactly what it is. Nothing to do with my ability to look at any device and evaluate its design and construction and form my own opinion on it.

Don’t fall for your own mind bending misconceptions, not everyone thinks like you.

13. fs454 macrumors 68000

You're disappointing only yourself by opting out for these types of reasons.

I find it hilarious that people can't allow a camera to have a lens - that it MUST be flush or else. Cool, I'll be over here using the best smartphone released to date.

14. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Isn’t it funny how we don’t all like the same things? From what we find attractive in people, art, home decor, phones? Why is it so hard to understand some people might actually find the notch part of an attractive design? You don’t fine, but just like you are not forced to marry someone you are not attracted to, you aren’t forced to get an iPhone X either.

Most “regular people” outside of forums like this don’t give so much thought to phones one way or the other.

15. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I have to admit that I’m not the biggest fan of the camera construction. I really would have preferred a thicker phone to accommodate it and get better battery life in the process because they could use the extra space.

However, in reality it doesn’t bother me much. Mainly because I don’t sit and look at the back of the phone.

16. fs454 macrumors 68000

I mean we all want more battery life, but I've found the X's battery life to be at the very least on par with my 7 Plus. If the entire phone were extended to the thickness of the camera lens it'd be extremely chunky. More stainless steel to extend the chassis and more battery would result in a very heavy phone, too.

17. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Nah... I'm guessing this will be like the camera bump in the back, year after year the bump is getting bigger and Apple just "owns it" and display it with pride. And the notch would be the next iphone signature just like the home button

18. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Hysterical. :D

Yeah, I think with 25+ years in the tech sector, dev, architect, writer, involved in you-name-it (most recently AR/VR/CV), I think I can form my own reasonably educated opinion :D

19. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

Lol good comparison. The camera doesn’t bother me at all but your statement gave me a chuckle. Which is hard to do on these forums the last 36 hours with all these opionions and arguing.

20. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Most people don’t have notches on their person. If they do then your comparison is apt.

21. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

The notch is trivial compared to what you’re getting. People hate the notch because people have to hate on what other people are buying.

22. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I've never heard the term "Storm in a teacup" before. I like it. :)

23. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

People hate the notch because for $1k they want a complete edge to edge display. All they get here is Apple Marketing selling something less.

24. Gameboy70, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

Gameboy70 macrumors 6502a

Gameboy70

False. I showed it to my mother, who asked me questions about its for 30 minutes, and the notch didn't come up once. Talked to another person in line who asked, "Is that the new iPhone?". She only spent five minutes asking what it was like to use it. Again, the notch never came up. Overhearing other non-enthusiasts conversations about the new iPhone, the notch was again mentioned zero times. The main criticisms I get from people I've shown the X to is that it "seems smaller," presumably because they're Plus users, or, "Is that the really expensive one?"

All the technorati discourse about the notch is really inside baseball. Much like the cellular Apple Watch's red dot—which is really do despise—no one outside of Apple sewing circles really cares.

I'm not refuting your opinion that the notch is a design flaw, since it's an opinion. I'm just refuting that it's a sentiment shared by regular people who don't obsess over details like this poor tech blogger:

25. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

All these people defending and hating on the notch and claiming to be experts on what Apple did or didn't decide to do. Trust me - product design doesn't just happen overnight. This will have been a very well considered decision, even if it's part of their marketing and development strategy to introduce a notchless variant in the future. Mind you, if anybody would care to explain to them how they can include cameras and sensors under a layer of pixels and still have them function properly, by all means, those dissing them must clearly be experts and have all the knowledge.

Like it or not, it's there. It's a design feature. Apple built the whole screen around it, literally. Get over it, or get a different phone if it's not to your liking. Personally I think it's a bold decision and I love it, gives character to the phone unlike the mundane crap that spews out these days from other manufacturers.