Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
The large fonts/bolded fonts are annoying, no need for that.

At least the font color was black and not maddening low-contrast light grey. I'll take LARGE/BOLDED black fonts over wafer thin grey font 8 days a week. :)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yep, and Apple is content to let iPad cannibalize its Mac market. They view the iPad as the future, not the Mac.
:( I was testing the iPad keyboard against the MacBooks and newer MacBook Pros, I couldn't believe the iPad Smart Keyboard was more comfortable for me (more travel.)

I would like to use an iPad and MB/MBP or Mac desktop. I truly hope MS' innovations wake the folks up at Apple HQ.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Microsoft is trying much harder but it's still not better than what Apple is offering. While Apple is cutting margins and not delivering anything that blows us away. If this continues then Apple will drop off. It's not there yet, but getting closer.

Reactions: Tozovac

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I never understand when people moan about a lack of new features to the OS though. What do you want it to do? I'd prefer them to be taking things away, rather than adding them, making it as quick and stable as is possible (whilst providing a very limited number of applications which are ultimately required for multi-device/data integration)

Any other apps, should be distributed as such and require me to install them rather than remove them or live with them being unused.

You definitely don't want regressions in the main OS which is what the article talks a lot about. Those are just fundamental software engineering principles getting the lack of proper resources by the sounds of it. There's also limited things you can do to the OS as the innovation is mostly gone due to the mature nature of the OS. Sure, you can rewrite the networking stack to make it faster but things like the core apps reach a level of functionality that the owners of the tech area don't know what to do next. In other words, their road map is probably pretty blank.

I appreciate some things in OS X Sierra like the ability to gather windows into tabs being OS wide or snap to sides when you move windows. Those subtle things speed up your use of the OS in general. But things like Siri are a solution looking for a problem. I don't talk to computers at all so will always refuse to use this more than as a gimmick to get a few laughs for a short period.

What I think might happen to OS X 10.13 is that it moves towards the continuous update model with much less fanfare.

That being said, a new tech could be discovered that revolutionizes the OS in some form and that suddenly gives everybody a vision to focus on. But right now, there's no real vision in OS X beyond minor tweaks and copying some things from Linux/Windows. One area the Mac still sucks is multiple window management on the same screen for different apps. That full screen dual app things is NOT the answer.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
...There's also limited things you can do to the OS as the innovation is mostly gone due to the mature nature of the OS. Sure, you can rewrite the networking stack to make it faster but things like the core apps reach a level of functionality that the owners of the tech area don't know what to do next. In other words, their road map is probably pretty blank.

I appreciate some things in OS X Sierra like the ability to gather windows into tabs being OS wide or snap to sides when you move windows. Those subtle things speed up your use of the OS in general. But things like Siri are a solution looking for a problem. I don't talk to computers at all so will always refuse to use this more than as a gimmick to get a few laughs for a short period.

What I think might happen to OS X 10.13 is that it moves towards the continuous update model with much less fanfare.

So, so, so true. I do fear that Apple will finally "get" what's obvious (to everyone but them) about what you are saying about all the unnecessary tinkering and non-improvements, but that they do it NOW and leave all the current crap UI/UX, instead of returning to their prior best in class offerings back before Jony Ive and Apple's clueless marking/product planning folk started all his arrogant self-serving noodling.

I don't need to talk to a computer when I have a keyboard....I do need a computer to have a mouse...and sometimes a trackpad doesn't fit the bill like a mouse does. I don't need OS to look flat or like iOS. I do need a laptop I can occasionally upgrade/modify and am willing to pay up for that ability, yet it's not offered. Why do we "get" these obvious, simple things yet Apple does not?

Last edited:

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Why I left Mac for Windows: Apple has given up.

This is a good read I wanted to share.

Link. http://char.gd/microsoft/why-i-left-mac-for-windows/

Disagree about Apple killing Mac computers. If you said Apple is killing or neglecting businesses world or pro users I agree 100% here.

The thing is most people using Macbook and Macbook air are college or university students!! Yea the people you see at Starbucks using Macbook and Macbook air!! They not hooking it up to a monitor or TV and so ports like HDMI, DVI port, mini display port so on they don't need all those ports. For odd time you need port there is a adapter you can get.

For businesses people doing a businesses presentation or people doing video editing, photo editing, graphics, animation, sound so on, yes!! The pro people they use ports everyday!! Yes yes yes yes use ports all the time. This is what some people are mad about that making a Macbook pro and killing the ports and people saying what is it? A Macbook Pro becoming more like Macbook or Macbook air? People don't want the Macbook Pro to be thinner and less ports but to stay the same. People don't want the Macbook Pro to be thinner and to HAVE LESS of GPU and CPU.

And lack of updates on pro computers and dumbing them down from pro to average user base!! Is what people are mad about.

I feel if Apple does not change or improve soon they may really well want to kill of the pro computers. And in the future all you have is Macbook and Macbook air and iOS gadgets!!! And may be iMac but not pro iMac just average user base iMac. And may be do some light work on it.

All the pro users will move to windows or Linux and all Apple will have is average user base people.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
One of the author's points: Satya Nadella has Windows ROCKING these days. He is hiring new people to do exciting things and they are happening, like desktop support for VR. If you want to do neat stuff, the MS environment is the place to be these days.

Apple has more money than MS to hire people to do great stuff, they just don't know what to do with it.

Steve Ballmer was driving MS into the ground.

Now TC and the Fat Man are driving Apple into the ground.

I guess Apple's stuck with them until the stock price dives though, just like MS was stuck with Ballmer.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I would be praising the article if I was a tech geek that I used to be. I was a Windows/DOS user for over 30+ years and for the last 10 of those years I was building my own computers. However, I have mellowed and switch over to using an iMac concentrating on developing websites and starting my own small printing company. Owen Williams to me misses the point, sure the person who is tech savvy will look down on Macs. The following is the main reason I disagree with him.

"If you’re a Mac user sitting, waiting for Apple to maybe release a real workhorse computer so you can actually do your work, stop what you’re doing and take another look at Windows. It’s awesome, and now you’ll be able to get something with incredible power for a great price that’s actually worth using."

Here's a guy that still complains about drivers. Granted I had to dig around the Internet for specific drivers from my computer, but heck I thought Owen was tech savvy or is that just his way of saying "Windows is great, but you'll probably be disappointed with the performance because of bad drivers?" ;) Most people aren't going to be building the workhorse computer.

Further up in his diatribe he makes this statement "Now I’ve been on Windows for about six weeks, and while I was expecting to hate it, I’ve found myself impressed. It’s not perfect, but it’s clear Microsoft is sweating the details for the first time in recent memory. I’ve got my development environment set up just the way I liked it on Mac, thanks to the Linux subsystem — everything from Jekyll to Gulp works exactly how I’d expect."

Owen admits it's not perfect and yet comes up some bandaid fixing for his own computer so he could make it a "read workhorse computer"? That in my opinion is plain ridiculous or at the very least missing the mark once again.

The last 3 years since switching over to the iMac I have found one thing about operating systems be it Microsoft's Windows or Apple's OS X and that is what a person can do with the computer not all the bells & whistles they thrown in the operating systems. My guess is 90 percent (maybe even better) will get by with computers made today be it Apple or Windows. Today's "stock" computers have enough computing power to be their "real workhorse horse" computer and for those who really really need a power computer I pretty sure they configured their computers to suit their needs, again be it Apple or Microsoft. Costing way more money than the average person could possibly afford. Granted if I wanted to have that super workhorse I probably would go the Windows route for two reasons (like Williams did). The main reason is I don't have the money to buy the top of the line Apple has to offer and secondly it's easy to add and remove computer components from a Windows computer. The my iMac to me is powerful enough for me and is a workhorse in my book. I just think Williams is all wet when it comes to this subject and that's my .02 cents. :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think for me, WWDC 2017 will be a seminal moment in deciding my preferred platform. If the next version of macOS is devoid of some useful features, I can see myself looking more seriously at PCs.

I've been discussing in various threads about wanting a 15" laptop and its getting harder to justify spending nearly 3k on a MBP. There are still features, and services that I like on the Mac platform but in all honesty spending 3k on a laptop is something I'm having trouble with.
Old post, but I'm platform agnostic. With an sp4, 2 MacBook Air pros, iPads, iPhones, 2 windows laptops and a windows desktop I use what is right for the task or easier or better. I'm not 100% into Windows ecosystem nor Apple, I like both. I don't see the need for a Mac desktop though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.