Why I no longer want an iPod touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joefinan, Sep 22, 2007.

1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I was so excited and ordered the moment the Apple store came back online after the announcement. This morning I cancelled my order and have decided to stick to my 2yr old Nano. Here's why:

- I'm incredibly annoyed that my pre-order still has not been fulfilled whereas thousands of people have simply bought them in Apple stores.

- I'm stunned that Apple have crippled the iCal which makes it the same as the one on my Nano.

- Bad screen issues concern me a lot.

- Adjusting volume; I've realised that I'm always adjusting the volume between tracks (Sound Check simply doesn't work). With the touch I'll need to take it out of my pocket to do so. I don't want to do that at 11pm on a quiet tube train.

- I've heard that the video playback is poor. Which is the whole point of getting a Touch over a new Nano!!

- The Touch is already getting bad press; I think the 2nd gen Touch will have all these problems ironed out. So I'll wait for that one!

(And perhaps a Touch owner could tell me - does the Touch play tracks seamlessly, or does is put in that 1 sec gap like my current Nano does??)

2. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

this issues aren't really so bad, the touch is a fantastic device, but i'm not buying one because i have my 2nd gen ipod nano now in blue and im happy!

3. nlivo macrumors 6502a

i was scarred about viewing this thread because i do not want to be convinced to not get a touch. but they were some terrible excuses to take yours back in my opinion. the ical was a disappointment but not that big of a deal (for me). the screen issues will easily go away by the time i get mine (mid october). have not heard anyone say the video playback is bad. if you're talking about the bad screens you repeated yourself. im looking forward to getting my touch when i get the money.

4. jacktiernan macrumors regular

I'm pumped to be getting one too. These so called'issues don't turn me off at all.

Want volume control? There's plenty of products out there that you can plug your headphones into.

Screen Issues? Gone, and video playback is great now from what i see.

iCal? No huge eal for me. Nice? Sure. Necessary? Nope. Anyhow, it'll be hacked soon(ish)

If you're not happy with it, no probs. But I sure as hell AM happy with it and can't wait to get my greedy liitle paws on the thing! :)

5. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Your choice :)

I'm glad they didn't ship mine out straight away, because all of the suckers (no offence) who charged straight out to the stores to buy the first ones ended up with faulty screens. It's also perfectly fair - it said "shipping by the 28th" from the very beginning so it seems unreasonable to hold a grudge against them for not shipping it out 2 weeks early! Those who want one "right now" are always free to cancel the online order and take a risk with a shop model.

It is a shame that they crippled it, in more ways than just iCal (so that it wouldn't compete with the iPhone), but hey, it's advertised as a media player, things like iCal are a bonus so it doesn't bother me much. If it seems unfair though just wait for a working jailbreak and hack the iPhone apps onto it. Technically illegal I think, but it depends how unfair you think they've been :)

The screen problems have been resolved; just don't buy a week 36 or 37 one. If I see on the invoice that it's one of those, then I'll just refuse delivery and re-order, but to be safe just wait a week or two or buy one from a store and check the serial number first.

Volume adjustment is kind of a downside I guess, but it's just a tradeoff. I expect we'll be seeing remotes that plug into the dock connector eventually. But for situations were it's preferable to be discrete, there's always the good old Shuffle! Alternatively normalise the playlist first (various 3rd party apps to do so). Not that big a deal IMO.

I've heard nothing bad about video playback except with the faulty screens.

Bad press = screen again. Everything I've heard about it otherwise (and a few people with hissing issues) has been positive.

Nothing there worth cancelling for in my opinion, but hey, doesn't bother me, your choice :D I'm looking forward to mine :D

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I had the ability to buy one because of my birthday this week but I've decided to wait.

I tried one on Wednesday and it was extremely appealing. Certainly, it's the finest product to wear the name iPod and it's very intuitive but it's better left to the fanatics right now. I didn't see the problems with it. It all worked very smoothly.

I might consider it again while re-considering the iPhone after my phone contract is up next July.

I believe that a lot of people will be very happy with the iPod touch but I'll wait and continue to use my 4g monochrome iPod with new ear buds and be happy a while longer.

7. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

The touch isn't really designed to be used in that way.. no physical controls so you can't change tracks etc. on the street without taking it out with the risk that entails. It's really a desk/home device, for which it works fine. If you want something to carry around in your pocket get a classic.

8. Dijo John macrumors member

Can't you simply get earphones having volume adjustment?

9. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

Yes, this is the simplest of solutions. Well said :)

10. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

The less openings it has the harder for water to get in. I seen that happen on ECT controls and fry the screen.

11. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

posting now on my new touch. This thing is truly amazing. I've got a 16g w38. I was forced to buy from my nemisis, best buy, but unfortunately my local apple store seems to has been forgotten by corporate.

It takes a bit of getting used to, it is a new interface and all, but extremely intuitive.

A few minor details (in addition to others that have been mentioned)
    1. Ability to set home page
    2. Doesn't play nice with my Corp web mail (exchange)
    3. Sluggish on screen reorientation

My video seems to be good and I have not noticed any hissing as others have reported.

12. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I've got a blue nano and it works great. (a bit of dust in the screen and a few dents and scratches, not much). I'm so tempted of getting an 8GB 3G Nano, cos of the storage, interface and the price are very yummy!:D

13. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Except you wouldn't be able to type on your nano anyway. Hopefully an update will resolve this issue.

If you select the option in iTunes "Part of a gapless album" then you shouldn't face the gap on any iPod.

The reason I am confused is because I'd like to do e-mail as a bare minimum, but I'm not sure if I'd want to be signed up to some contract for an iPhone. So neither device suits my needs ironically.

I could get an iPod touch and install Mail on it, per cracks on the net, or get an iPhone and crack the SIM so I could use prepaid. I'm not sure which best suits me right now.

14. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I had a touch and returned it, just did fit in with how I like to use my iPod (commuting and sport) I bought an 8gb 3G Nano instead and I can really say that it is the best iPod pound for pound ever made. Just buy one and try it you won't go back (besides if you don't like it you have 14 days to return it)

SHadoW

15. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

You can change the volume in your pocket just double click the home button an move your finger to the end of the screen and slide it and double click the home button again, thats how i do. Also the screen issue and sound issue are nonexistant in the week 38 touches. And the calendar will be hacked soon

16. erasr macrumors 6502

All I've read from most people who have one now is how amazing they are and how impressed they are with them. The screen issue, as said already, is a temporary thing and the actually video playback is apparently amazing!!

Also, I wouldnt be taking mine out much anyway, to me it's more of a convenience around the house and away on a trip but not on the train etc. I'd use my phone for that, which has 4gb, and the touch for watching vids/net/music chilling in a safe place!

17. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

You asked about gapless playback, that is not an issue with any ipod, if you want or dont want it then you will need to change your settings in iTunes.

18. stcroixsailor macrumors member

alright, i own a ipod touch.

-the preorder. yeah, apple that was pretty bad. no excuses there.

-ical. honestly, i think that they'll update it later. but if you use the ical on your cpu, it can't be that bad. (i don't use ical a lot)

-the sound works fine for me.

-the screen. mine's got a bad screen. however, i'm returning it today for a better one. only a small number of screens are bad; they just had a bad batch (week 36 & 37. week 38 is all good)

-the video playback is awesome. no glitches, no anything. it's amazing.

-bad press? read here http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2182748,00.asp

yeah, it plays tracks seamlessly; i listened to abbey road; it's perfect. it used to annoy me a lot on my old mini.

hope i could be of help.

S.

19. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

No good reason???

Posting from Touch.
    did you call apple about your delayed preorder? I did and they gave $50 off the price PLUS i got a 38 serial #. So all that just walked into the store n bought them got a bad shipment. Mine is perfect, and it just takes getting used to as far as using it without looking. Also just get buds with volume adjustment. This iPod is amazing! Safari on here is so user friendly!
    your loss to cancel

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Things I love about the iPod Touch:

1. The MUSIC sounds great and the cover flow and entire interface is a joy.
    2. The screen is perfect and looks better than my 5G iPod (Video)
    3. iTunes Music Store rocks!
    4. Viewing photos is now a really fun experience
    5. Viewing movies is really great (the picture is very sharp and the colors are excellent)
    6. Safari! Works great!
    7. Logging onto AIM with FlickIM.com (Really cool!)
    8. Creating On-The-Go playlists are really cool (you can now edit them and rearrange them in any order you like and also delete or add songs to them)
    9. You can delete videos from the iPod touch straight from the iPod touch!
    10. Stopwatch? Calculator? (Does anyone care about these?)
    11. It's still an iPod... it's not a personal computer folks and for being an iPod, it's an iPod and a little more... what more could you possibly ask for? Why are you complaining when Apple didn't make your iPod do everything including end world hunger?

You should re-order. You're almost guaranteed that you'll get a week 38 with a flawless screen like mine.

21. deanage macrumors member

deanage

then dont get one
    it aint gonna stop me from buyin one!! :):)

22. thedudeAbides macrumors member

Preorder Delayed?

How is your preorder delayed when the website says that they will ship by Sep 28? did you order online and already receive yours? Did they offer to knock $50 off or did you ask?

thanks

23. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

he video playback is amazing. Get a real working model on your hands and you'll see how amazing this product really is!!!

24. tm1000 macrumors member

Thats a good idea!

FINALLY! Someone notices! I have to almost shake it sometimes. I feel like yelling "hello I'm looking at you sideways!" to my touch

25. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

I say get one I used my 100 dollar iphone credit to get the red nano, u may ask why since i have an iphone and it pretty much does what my phone already do, but it's so damn cute. Get a case before u buy it, had mine 2 days and already got 3 scratches on the back so now it just sit in the clear box it came in untill i get the case I ordered from e-bay.:D