Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, I'm one of the guys in here pushing Windows gaming. It's not my fault native Mac gaming is inadequate. That being said, last time I played on my PC everything worked great. Tonight, on my real PC, no internet, until after I repaired a couple of connections (that's a network repair function within Windows). Then Steam would not connect. So I am in the process of downloading an update and seeing if that helps. Bottom line, I really do dislike online gaming services because when they don't work right, they S.U.C.K. You know I'm thinking about Torchlight, the new RPG, but if there is anyway I can play this game and avoid STEAM I'll do my best to achieve that. I'll also mention this is on WinXP so who knows. I admit as a rule running Vista on my MBP I don't have these problems.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
i loooove steam except for the fact you can't play something like portal (an offline game) if you dont have a internet connection, and the fact valve's too stubborn to make it for OS X.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
So, how is this STEAM's fault? You have Window's issues. :)

I hope you get this resolved quickly. It's always a bummer when things don't work right. Any idea what knocked out your connection?

I just reinstalled STEAM, but only because I built a new PC. Now I have to download the games I bought, which is going to take some time. Fortunately most of my games our store bought.

You know what really SUCKS, GFWL! I lost all of my saves from RE5, becuase I prefer to play it in offline mode. I even lost some saves in SFIV. Even though I have these saves on my backup drive, I can't use them, because both games tell me they're damaged, which is a farse!!! SO F# MS and it's POS mee-too online abomination. It's not competition, it's an attempt to push out a service that's doing good for PC gaming. So I can't agree with any dislike of Valve's nifty service, as it's really keeping PC gaming happy when even MS has turned its back on it for the most part. Ok, I'm done ranting, for the moment. :eek:

There's an offline mode in STEAM macfanboy. I haven't tried it for Portal though.

Bringing STEAM to the Mac would be great, but until then, this is one of the reasons I have a PC, but for pretty much everything else, I'll never want to be without a Mac.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm a Steam addict and it's never let me down. That's why after 5 years I still use it all the time.
During times when I've had no connection for whatever reason I load it up in offline mode with no problems.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Yeah, that's a windows issue there.

I've had a few issues with steam here and there, but in the end, it was a windows issue.

But Steam = Awesome. I always have an internet connection everywhere I go, so I never have to worry about not being able to play my games.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
steam owns.. it's similar to direct2drive but.. I like it better b/c it in itself is its own DRM and you can download your games anywhere on any computer granted you have access to install steam and get internet =)

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
Uhm, how can you blame either of Windows OR Steam? You had just "repaired a couple of connections", that indicates to me that you have network problems.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I've never had an issue with Steam and usign Offline Mode ... but I agree that it it a pain to NEED to do that.

As for Torchlight, you can grab it as a pre-order from GamersGate - no online connection after install - and it is 10% off on pre-order.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
You know what really SUCKS, GFWL!
Worse are the games that require Steam and GFWL even if you buy the retail disc (I'm looking at you, Dawn of War II). If either one of the services is having problems that day, no gaming for you!</soupnazi>

GFWL is especially bad, though. If it detects an update, you are forced to install it before you can login. And the interface is awkward and sluggish to navigate, at least for me (for some reason in Windows 7, the clickable area of the buttons doesn't match what's displayed, it's offset so I have to click below or to the side of what I'm trying to press).

Steam is great when it works, and it does work most of the time, but it's really, REALLY slow at responding when it isn't able to connect (due to service outages or internet problems on your PC). Sometimes it seems as if it's not even going to execute but then 15 minutes later you see the "run steam in offline mode?" prompt.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
GFWL is especially bad, though. If it detects an update, you are forced to install it before you can login. And the interface is awkward and sluggish to navigate, at least for me (for some reason in Windows 7, the clickable area of the buttons doesn't match what's displayed, it's offset so I have to click below or to the side of what I'm trying to press).

Yup! I bought Fallout 3 about a year ago on Steam. I can play the game but I can't connect to Live for updates, communications etc because Live needed updating. Only problem was their server was down and it took 3 days of sporadic testing before the progress bar decided to move.

It'd be nice if Live was deactivated on Steam games and communications/DLC were routed through Steams own service. It has the capacity to do so!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I refuse to use the crapware that is Steam for this reason. (Actually because I can't play my games without an internet connection, and please don't say "offline mode". Try it once...seriously...doesnt work for more then a few reboots.

Unfortunately I no longer buy any game that requires Steam because I work in a remote location and cannot plug my personal laptop into the network in order to please Steam. Since I live where I work I cannot play the games I purchased but instead have to resort to piracy, something I completely am against but will resort to if I cannot play a game I legally purchased.

Way to go Steam your awesome :rolleyes:

nick1516

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Kind of off topic, but it's the newest thread about steam, does anybody know if you can mod games you buy off steam, like adding in new maps?

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I never had any problems with Steam when it was running in offline mode. It always worked and I think that Valve's Steam platform is the ONLY DRM platform on the market that is tolerable and acceptable for its customers. Steam works and isn't in the least annoying.

As for Windows - well, I'm more or less platform agnostic. After a few minutes, I know longer really feel the difference whether I am currently using OS X, Windows, Linux or whatever else I need to use at that moment.

However, I must say that I like Microsoft as a company much better than Apple - both try to lock you into their platforms, but Apple is too arrogant, elitist and fascist for my taste. Of course, Microsoft, like any other large corporation, is fascist, too. But at least they don't force me to use one of only three available computer models. They don't care where I run their platform, as long as I paid the license fee. And their platform is not picky about the hardware on which it runs.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
And their platform is not picky about the hardware on which it runs.

But the flip side to that is less reliability since it has to accommodate all that hardware, and drivers can also take up a lot of space.

I prefer gaming on a PC. There's something about mouse tracking I don't like in OSX. In Windows I've deactivated all that extra tracking nonsense and rely on using my Razers on-the-fly DPI adjusting.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So, how is this STEAM's fault? You have Window's issues. :)

Well besides run'n on Windows which is an issue :), the problem was Steam and its servers. I had not run Windows/Steam in a while on my MPB and it displayed the same problem that I had on my Pentium III. Steam just sits there, says updating, and nothing happens. I went over to the Steam forums and lots of complaints there. Finally after about 8 tries and letting it sit, Steam finally updated. What is most frustrating if you click on the cancel button in Steam, nothing happens and the program ignores you! Apparently Steams servers are not up for the challenge...

Besides did I mention, I like selling used games and Steam prevents this...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You have my generation MBP and your thinking about installing Snow Leopard? Caution.

You guys may hoot, but I've found a dubious reason to like Windows, besides giving me the ability to play most AAA games these days, and still have a working computer and am now posting this message by way of Vista on my MBP.

I installed Snow Leopard 2 days ago and installed updates on my MBP (see signature). Everything went well or so I thought. I booted into 10.6 several times, no problem. This morning when I started up my MBP, the little icon spun and spun, and finally my gray apple was replaced by a circle with a diagonal slash through it. I waited about 5 min, then restarted it into Windows which launched no problem. I came to MacRumors and snooped around and found this thread Snow Leopard Grey Screen. Sigh... It implies some MBPs have a fautly intel chip in them that requires a motherboard swap with 10.6. I've arranged to talk to an Apple Expert tomorrow night. Fingers crossed it's not a motherboard swap, but I tend to be a pessimist about such things.:p

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I hate Steam and will not buy any game that requires Steam.

Steam is just a piece of **** DRM scheme that sugar coats itsself buy offering downloadable content.

Why do I hate Steam? Because I cannot play a game without being connected to it. (Please dont say offline mode because you have to connect initially, and then reconnect any time steam feels it may need an update). For some of us who work in remote areas of the world all we have is our computers but no internet connection that we can plug a personal computer into to get steam updates.

Not to mention my Portal is completely unplayable because steam seems to think its not a legit copy even though I bought it best buy and it worked the first month I had it.

Well, sorry Valve but you just created more piracy for yourself because to get my steam games to work I unfortunately had to turn to that route. (Being a hobbyist game developer I'm against piracy but I'm also against ripping the customer off who paid $40 for your product).

Ok off my soapbox now. I just wanted to chime in and say I hate steam too!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Steam is just a piece of **** DRM scheme that sugar coats itsself buy offering downloadable content.
DRM that works. Have you seen the alternatives, complete with install limits?

Why do I hate Steam? Because I cannot play a game without being connected to it. (Please dont say offline mode because you have to connect initially, and then reconnect any time steam feels it may need an update). For some of us who work in remote areas of the world all we have is our computers but no internet connection that we can plug a personal computer into to get steam updates.
Offline mode :p. But seriously I don't have an internet connection at my place abroad. Infact my Macbooks L4D and TF2 weren't updated for 6 months yet they played just fine in offline mode (well L4D and the HL games did, didn't even try TF2 for obvious reasons). If it's never connected it doesn't know theres an update to pull down.

Not to mention my Portal is completely unplayable because steam seems to think its not a legit copy even though I bought it best buy and it worked the first month I had it.
That's very odd. You need to prove to Valve you bought it, provide them with a reciept or something. I had the same thing happen to me when one of my accounts was stolen. I got it all back with no problem.

Well, sorry Valve but you just created more piracy for yourself because to get my steam games to work I unfortunately had to turn to that route. (Being a hobbyist game developer I'm against piracy but I'm also against ripping the customer off who paid $40 for your product).
You're admitting to pirating Steam games?
I knew someone who pirated L4D. Because you can't connect to the Steam server he was limited to Single Player only which is no way to enjoy the game. I've put hundreds of £ into Steam over the years, which would have cost much more if I bought elsewhere ;).

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
DRM that works. Have you seen the alternatives, complete with install limits?

Yes, it is bad. Games such as Spore go a really wrong route by letting you install only 3 or 5 times.

Offline mode :p. But seriously I don't have an internet connection at my place abroad. Infact my Macbooks L4D and TF2 weren't updated for 6 months yet they played just fine in offline mode (well L4D and the HL games did, didn't even try TF2 for obvious reasons). If it's never connected it doesn't know theres an update to pull down.

Unfortunately for offline mode to work you need to connect to Steam initially and then switch to offline mode. (Completely defeating the purpose of online mode IMO). Here is straight from Steams website:

Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

Unfortunately they are right. I am unable to install Orange Box because of it wanting to update first. (Then it tells me that its not valid anyway).

That's very odd. You need to prove to Valve you bought it, provide them with a reciept or something. I had the same thing happen to me when one of my accounts was stolen. I got it all back with no problem.

I tried that route. I even sent them the box pictures and the receipt from Best Buy. They told me I must be mistaken and have someone elses game.

You're admitting to pirating Steam games?
I knew someone who pirated L4D. Because you can't connect to the Steam server he was limited to Single Player only which is no way to enjoy the game. I've put hundreds of £ into Steam over the years, which would have cost much more if I bought elsewhere ;).

I admit I have a "suspect copy" of Orange Box that I bought it in a foreign country for $2 and unlike my $40, my $2 version works without having to update or anything.

I am completely against software piracy and am the only person I know who owns legit copies of Adobe Master Collection, Maya, ZBrush, Corel Painter, etc. But, I'm also not about to get ripped off by an incompetent company with incompetent tech support people who, after having all the proof in the world staring them in the face continue to tell me the product I bought (and that worked) is invalid. Sorry Valve for buying your game, I wont do it again as long as you have Steam requirements.

I stopped buying anything that has Steam in it (Borderlands) because I know it will be impossible to play until I get home.

And no, I do not pirate. Orange Box was the only exception because I already bought it.

Youngchild

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2008
Red Sox Nation
I stopped buying anything that has Steam in it (Borderlands) because I know it will be impossible to play until I get home.

BoarderLands doesn't require STEAM, it uses some horrible GAMESPY component for online play, luckily it has off-line and LAN play.

You might be thinking of Modern Warfare 2, which does require STEAM to play.

I *personally* have had ZERO problems with STEAM, it's my preferred digital distribution service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.