iPad Pro Why I Returned My Apple iPad Pro (fool.com)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mdridwan47, Dec 24, 2015.

1. mdridwan47, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2015

mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

Original Article by Ashraf Eassa for the fool.com:
    http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/12/22/why-i-returned-my-apple-inc-ipad-pro.aspx

2. az431 macrumors regular

Just what the world needed. Another moronic "why I returned my [Apple device" rant. Looking forward to the follow up "why didn't Apple provide more RAM" article.

3. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Most of the reasons stated are why i wouldn't consider one.
    It's just not a device i feel i need, or want to try.. i don't see it as "moronic" at all. Well reasoned and fine, it's just an opinion and as such it's as good as any other opinion around.

4. bowlman2345 macrumors regular

I understand why a lot of people wouldn't want one, especially if they already have an Air or a laptop. I have a rMBP 15" that I hardly ever use and I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab S I never used because the App Store on Android is atrocious for tablets. I was using my Note 5 mostly. I wanted something in between. The IPP gave me that. It can't 100% replace my rMBP, but it does replace around 98% of it.

5. sonicrobby, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015

sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Why are you calling something like this moronic? "iPad Pro Sux" is moronic. And this isn't a rant, it is a detailed explanation of its flaws in a users life and is perfect for an apple forum.

But I agree with the post as the compromising product. I feel like a lot of people can/do benefit from the pencil from a graphics design standpoint; but other than that, the pro doesn't appeal to me in any real benefit over the air 2 as of current. It performs better and faster, but that doesn't mean that the air 2 can now no longer perform those tasks at all.

I think/hope iOS10 will really make the pro differentiate itself from the other iPads. I'd really like an iPad to replace my laptop, but the pro didn't offer me anything that my air 2 or mini 4 couldn't do already (for my needs). For me its all software related, and Id really like to see apple expand this product to its full potential.

6. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Had a try of one yesterday.

It's very nice, but just too big and unwieldy. If they eliminate the bezels, it will be so much better. The shop assistant suggested that you needed the bezels to rest your thumbs, but software can simply make the edges of the screen not respond to your touch, so that should not be an issue.

7. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

As titled in the post.. Why "I" Returned "My" iPad Pro.

Obviously.. Does not speak for the rest of us who enjoys their iPad Pro, I for one don't see myself going back to the iPad Air 2. I think it might end up being compared to going back to a 5s after using a 6 Plus.

The screen real estate is primary the reason I don't think I could go back.. I don't have a problem with the mobility aspect of it. I've had it for about a month.. And at the beginning, I thought how would I be able to adjust to something this large.

Of course, the Air 2 is a very capable computing device... I enjoyed the Air 2, my initial thoughts was "why did Apple make a bigger iPad no one is really clamouring for one." But after using its really an enjoyable experience.

8. sparksd macrumors 6502a

He tried and found he didn't like it so he returned it - no problem with that and his reasons are not moronic at all. My brother bought one but I have no interest in owning one and the author's reasons are pretty close to my own feelings on it. The Air 2 is perfect for mu usage.

9. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I don't think Apple would have the same features in the iPad Pro.

I mean, that's what makes the iPad Pro a Pro device... Why put the same features in the Air line. The iPad Air 2 is better than the iPad Mini 4 & the iPad Pro is better than the iPad Air 2.. In regards to specs.

If anything.. I would think the Air & Mini line will get 3D Touch before the Pro line. But as far as the  Pencil & specs.. Won't see that in the Pro line at least not in the foreseeable future.

10. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

As others have said...nothing moronic about what he said. Not everyone thinks the iPP works for them.

If anything, your post was moronic.

11. aw3524 macrumors member

Detailed? He states the IPP isn't great as a productivity device, and he has two reasons for this: first, he couldn't really write articles on the thing, and second, typing on the ASK isn't as pleasant as on high-end dedicated laptops. For the first point, there's no discussion beyond that statement. What apps did he try? What were the problems? Personally, as someone currently writing a couple academic papers, I appreciate the focus of Markdown editors a la 1Writer and Editorial. For the second point -- that's true, who can argue that? But again, there's not much discussion. The ASK isn't as good as my $150 mechanical keyboard at home, but I find it to be perfectly competent for typing over long periods of time.

I'm not convinced that author took an IPP out of the damn store.

12. the future macrumors 65816

Not understanding the future even if you hold it in your hands is … well … maybe not moronic, but certainly not something that needed to be published. But stating that the Pro is a bad productivity device without really trying out a made for Pro keyboard or the fantastic Pencil *is* moronic. And stating that the Pro is a bad consumption device is *utterly* moronic, almost inconceivably so. Next.

13. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Its moronic because he had to buy and return it to determine these obvious characteristics of the ipad pro

14. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I think the consumption critique is valid. Its a large awkward device--alot of people have problems with that

15. David58117 macrumors 65816

Maybe it's just me, but - the more I use it, the less awkward and gigantic it becomes.

It's now normal sized, and my wifes Air 2 is a mini, while an actual mini is for ants.

16. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

That reminds me of when I first got a phablet. It seemed huge. Now I can't see myself going to a smaller phone.

17. Davefevs macrumors member

Davefevs

I bought my IPP 10 days ago, but apart from testing it worked and loading a few apps on, it's back in the box.....waiting to be unwrapped on Xmas Day.

I've got an ageing and sluggish IPad 3rd gen that needed replacing.

From the play in the Apple Store and the 45 mins play I'm really happy. I can understand Air 2 owners reserving judgement and waiting for the next version, but there must be loads of people is similar positions to me who think the IPP is the go to tablet.

18. bmat macrumors 6502

I think that the device is really going to depend on the person. I find it great. Maybe a better iPad Air would do it as well, but it is a laptop replacement for me on short trips. I can write memos, edit documents on word pretty seamlessly using the keyboard cover. I can log into my work's network via Citrix and do more robust editing and stuff.

It is a great consumption device, and I can watch videos on the couch, in bed, on the plane. And frankly, if I was just out and about, I wasn't going to take my old iPad Air 2 with me anyway. Only a mini was my small consumption device.

19. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Now THAT is a different discussion all together. You're not making applications with the iPP, so I personally don't think it can really be labeled a "pro" product. An integrated stylist = pro? Meh.

I agree withe the author of the article. Too little differentiation, and too big for hours of use.

20. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

As opposed to those who don't state any reasons? Regardless, there is no need to insult other people or their opinions on these forums. Feel free to express your disagreement, but you shouldnt disrespect people in the process.

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Your first sentence in bold is undermined by your second.

There are minor differences between the Air 2 and Mini 4. Depending upon what you consider a "feature" they could be seen as identical except for screen size. What hardware is unique to the Air 2 that prevents the Mini 4 from performing the same tasks as the Air 2? (split-window? if so, that would be screen related).

If Apple remains consistent, then they'll bring support for the Pencil (and perhaps the mag connector) to the Air. Not immediately, but will eventually roll down to it just as the Air features rolled down to the Mini.

22. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

That is my biggest gripe with it. I still feel like I need something smaller for the train or when Im reading a book etc...

23. cycledance Suspended

do u have ants that use it?

24. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

What's awkward about holding an iPad? I hold my iPad pro and wow. Don't feel awkward at all! Am I missing something?

25. Ries macrumors 68000

Yes you are. I am on my sofa on my back, I am reading this comfortably with holding anything, the wonders of a laptop.