Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
While everyone is entitled tontheirnopinuons, I simply don't see Apple going back down to a smaller device. Perhaps bezels will be reduced, but the screen sizes don't show signs of changing.

People had this same Hangul when they went from the 4s to a new device. I can't say with certainty what these people are doing today, but it's reasonable to assume most have accepted change and adapted the 5 or 6 series.

I say all of this because, eventually, we are all going to either decide the larger size works for us, or not use smartphones anymore. Or... Go with one of the ultra low budget android devices which they still seem to be making smaller screens of.

Regardless, the 5s is a solid device. I expect it will start to show its age by the next update, if it hasn't already, for the majority of users.

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Wait, I thought people here were saying the 5s camera is better than both the 6 and 6s? ;P

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I enjoy using Apple Pay so the 5S isn't really feasible unless I get an Apple Watch.

That said, I did enjoy my 5S while I had it and really wish I hadn't sold it.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I am thinking of buying a new 5S because I love the design and size. Is it still worth it? The only thing I think of is how much update it will get in the future. In my country a 32 GB costs 579. Versus a 6S with an unofficial whooping price of 889 (64 GB). Living in Italy sucks.

889 Euros? Yikes. That's like a 128 GB proce here.

I'll be there in April, I'll bring you my 6 128GB for a good price lol.

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
I just think all these "why I don't like "insert phone" model here are ridiculous.

But he was wasn't bashing on the 6S, he was giving a fair and reasonable synopsis of his experience in a dedicated iPhone forum - just because his experience wasn't universally positive doesn't mean he 'dislikes' the phone. This is a forum, it thrives on user communication both good and bad.

You've seen his title, you've clicked his thread, and then you've complained about being here and his post.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Legionnaire

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
I am thinking of buying a new 5S because I love the design and size. Is it still worth it? The only thing I think of is how much update it will get in the future. In my country a 32 GB costs 579. Versus a 6S with an unofficial whooping price of 889 (64 GB). Living in Italy sucks.
I used my upgrade got another 5s 32gn for 40 bucks att

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
I know this won't be popular, but let's remember everyone has an opinion and my experience doesn't invalidate yours. Just putting this out there in case anybody currently has a 5s and isn't sure if they want to upgrade.

I bought a 6s and used it for almost a week. Ultimately I returned it and am sticking with my 5s.

Main Reasons for Switching Back
  • The Size. This is the number one reason. I really like the size of my 5s and being able to use it one handed. It feels like I have a much better grip on it and as someone who uses their phone case-less, this is important.
  • The 5s is still a perfectly good phone. Sure, it doesn't have all the latest features, but to me it was hard to justify paying for a new phone just to get things like Apple Pay and 3D touch. These are nice features but not something I can't live without.

Things I'm going to miss about the 6s
  • The Camera. I took a few photos/4k Videos on the 6s and loved the camera. It is going to be hard going back to an adequate camera.
  • The Speed/Memory. The 6s is blazing fast and with the extra memory I could really tell a difference.
  • The Size for all things except using it one handed. The bigger screen was definitely nice when sitting on my couch and using the phone with both hands. I pretty much didn't use/need my iPad at all during that time.
I know it's unlikely that Apple will bring back the 4 inch screen size, so if I have to eventually upgrade to a bigger screen size, I'm willing to wait until the iPhone 7. It's the old "if you don't need it, wait." I really liked most things about the 6s but it really feels nice to be back using my 5s.
The iPhone SE uses the body of the iPhone 5s with the internals of the iPhone 6s

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
I have an iPhone 4s that was given to me for free and yet it works better than my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 in regards to responsiveness of email. Will the SE2 drive down prices on the original SE?

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I have an iPhone 4s that was given to me for free and yet it works better than my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 in regards to responsiveness of email. Will the SE2 drive down prices on the original SE?
its already on sale below 200 dollars at places like Walmart during clearances and sales

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I don’t understand why many of you choose to use an iPhone with a screen the size of a standard business card... it’s so small. I have had the 5 & 5s and enjoyed them because that’s all that apple had, wasn’t about to swap to android but I actually did for one month just to get a bigger screen. It was the galaxy S5. Then the iPhone 6 Plus came out, I got it and returned the Samsung. The 5s was very difficult to text on with it’s puny screen. I now have the iPhone X, it’s awsome. It’s a great balance. But hey, to each their own. I guess if you are using the 5s model, then you must only be using it for phone calls and some text. That screen is too small to web browse on.

Julienne

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Texas
I got my 7 last year, so i'm going to stick with it for a while. but i'm hoping to get another 4" iphone, because it's just the perfect size for my trouser pockets and for onehanded use. it feels more comfortable to me to use a 4" screen one-handed than a 4.7" one.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I don’t understand why many of you choose to use an iPhone with a screen the size of a standard business card...

I guess if you are using the 5s model, then you must only be using it for phone calls and some text. That screen is too small to web browse on.

1. $$$. I have two children. Their expenses take priority over any of my expenses that are for “lesiure.” While a cell phone can be a utility (phone calls, texting, internet browsing to find drs/businesses/health info) anything else would be for pleasure.

The SE (5/5S) is a $399 (now $349) phone that can do those basic things and more. I financed it at $10 a month with 0% financing.

If I had gotten a flagship Plus phone or the newer iPhone X, I would have spent roughly $900 ($40 a month) for the same experience... and why?

2. I use my iPhone SE for everything as do millions of other people. I watch movies, play games, FaceTime, browse the web and I can even point the phone at my face while resting my finger on the home button and my phone will unlock for me like the $999 iPhone X.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don’t understand why many of you choose to use an iPhone with a screen the size of a standard business card... it’s so small. I have had the 5 & 5s and enjoyed them because that’s all that apple had, wasn’t about to swap to android but I actually did for one month just to get a bigger screen. It was the galaxy S5. Then the iPhone 6 Plus came out, I got it and returned the Samsung. The 5s was very difficult to text on with it’s puny screen. I now have the iPhone X, it’s awsome. It’s a great balance. But hey, to each their own. I guess if you are using the 5s model, then you must only be using it for phone calls and some text. That screen is too small to web browse on.
Meh, got an iPhone 6 Plus upon launch (well, I think mine arrived Monday or Tuesday after release). Web browsing experience was pretty poor compared to the iPad. I still needed to carry iPhone+iPad. The only redeeming feature was battery life.

To be perfectly honest, my iPhone's primary usage is just phone calls, messaging and camera. With iOS Continuity (call and iMessage/SMS forwarding), I do a lot of phone functions on the iPad, too.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Watch movies on a SE now that’s funny.

Actually... 3 of us (me and 2 children used to watch movies together on my iPod classic with an external speaker connected to it. And in the dark, it was just fine. We’d forget we were looking at a tiny screen.

I even used it at the gym some instead of watching news in the treadmill room.

Not really a big deal.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
Undead threads are walking around dragging one foot. It's a slow news period. The natives are banging drums for a new model (SE X, please).

(I play Township on my SE :p)

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
1. $$$. I have two children. Their expenses take priority over any of my expenses that are for “lesiure.” While a cell phone can be a utility (phone calls, texting, internet browsing to find drs/businesses/health info) anything else would be for pleasure.

The SE (5/5S) is a $399 (now $349) phone that can do those basic things and more. I financed it at $10 a month with 0% financing.

If I had gotten a flagship Plus phone or the newer iPhone X, I would have spent roughly $900 ($40 a month) for the same experience... and why?

2. I use my iPhone SE for everything as do millions of other people. I watch movies, play games, FaceTime, browse the web and I can even point the phone at my face while resting my finger on the home button and my phone will unlock for me like the $999 iPhone X.
That’s awesome you can be happy with what you have, but to say an old iPhone is the same experience as an X is sour grapes. I’m right there with you man. Life is expensive and we have to make choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.