Why I think everyone may be crying out for a MBP re-design

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibizarocks, Feb 27, 2008.

1. ibizarocks macrumors regular

Ok so a lot of people on here are crying out for the MBP to get a new design but there are a lot of people on here who think that tht ecurrent case is fine.

Here's my 2 cents.

I personally get annoyed by people saying it doesn't need a new case. I admit yes that the current case is fine but christ knows that its OLD!!! 5 years personally in my opinion is taking the piss. Cars have quicker design changes than this. The MBP isn't perfect in it's design and therefore should evolve to improve on it. We've all seen people complaining about the bending of the CD Drive slot, to me that's a big design flaw!

I know that there isn't any point in a redesign just yet as Montevina is around is a few months away but it DOES need to be re-designed.

Finally I think THE reason why many people on these forums want a case re-design is because a lot of people who use a mac (inc myself) are designers!! As much as I like the current design I feel the 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' rule doesn't apply and this year we should see a new look MBP.

Lets face it, Apple has always based a lot of it's pride in the design of it's products... so lets see a new one!

2. perfect lou macrumors newbie

The current case is pretty good and one of the best notebooks money can buy, but there is plenty of flex in it and surly it can be improved.
    The biggest improvement Apple need to fix is the heat they accumulate!
    I'd love to see a card reader on a Macbook Pro one day too.
    Fingers crossed for early 2009? :rolleyes:

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

People want a redesign of the MBP because the MBA is so bitchin'.

4. skiffx macrumors 6502a

they could have done a better job by offering it in gunmetal or something, a small change but a huge perception factor.

5. fafsa1025 macrumors newbie

haha..had to quote that cause it made me LOL

But yea, I have to agree...the MBP right now looks great and IS great but when you see it so much and you're waiting for a new upgrade on them, seeing the same old MBP design when it's finally out doesn't bring up as much excitement once you see them. It sort of...lets you down a little bit..:(

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

It's a machine for doing a job,not a fashion statement

7. skiffx macrumors 6502a

thats just wrong on so many levels...Apple's marketing department does everything possible to market it as a fashion statement, an aesthetically pleasant to look at device which is also a machine for doing a job, thats one of the major ways Apple differentiates itself. Otherwise, why would they bother with such a thin laptop, they could have easily made it 4x thicker, put a much more powerful hardware in it, and it would do a much better job as a machine.

8. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

I like the current case and particularly the keyboard. if/when they upgrade the design I will be very happy to have the 'old skool' version :D

9. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

then why do they spend so much on design?? why not create every laptop looking the same?

I'm afraid that in this world today image is everything to companies and if they don't address it then they drown! A car could be the best in the world but if it was designed round a Lada they wouldn't sell. I mobile phone could be the best in the world but if it looked like crap it wouldn't sell.

To say it's a machine for doing a job and not a fashion statement is true but also complete bol*ocks at the same time!

10. wrightc23 macrumors regular

Exactly right, this is their professional range. It's meant to be less consumer orientated.

This need to have a product completely redesigned every couple of months is simply idiotic. I'm guessing that those wanting a completely redesigned MBP would like quite alot of glossy black and LED's. Hell why not just make it look like a Dell XPS?

Personally I think the MBP looks great and is very close to being a design classic. It's very difficult to improve in my opinion.

11. skiffx macrumors 6502a

5 year old case isnt exactly every 2 months....you do realize that it will be changed eventually and thats a fact, what will you say then, apple are idiots?

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

For me its a machine simple as that,i dont walk around saying hay everybody
    look at me ive gotta a apple Mac.I bought mine to do a job & to run OS X, to
    able to show clients webpages on the move etc. The pro just meets my needs

You may want it as a fashion statement and to play games on it,i need it for work

13. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

you're clouded in my opinion to make a comment like that. there's always room for improvement. the MBP isn't perfect!

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

my design

- thinner ~ 0.8" (no wedge shape)
    - magnetic latch
    - same 15.4" and 17" screen but with a slightly thinner bezel making the casing seem smaller. approx 0.34" leaving enough room for isight. maybe isight could be made smaller like the iMac's?
    - 13" option?
    - bigger trackpad and smaller trackpad button like the MBA's.
    - less screws visible on side of casing
    - user replaceable HDD.
    - SSD option
    - no IR reciever.
    - MBA keyboard
    - [insert another idea here]

15. rishi13 macrumors member

MBP Keyboard

Do you guys think since Apple introduced the updated keys on the keyboard in this revision, we are unlikely to see the MBA design move into the MBPs? I also noticed that Apple added a little segment about how nice the MBP keys are on the design page, " And your hands have room to spread out on the full-size keyboard with crisp, responsive keys." (from http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html) From the looks of it, Apple seems content with the current keyboard design. As far as a case redesign, I'm guessing MacWorld 09 at the earliest.

16. garethlewis2 macrumors 6502

Maybe you could build and interdimensional heat exchanger so the heat from the CPU and GPU could be siphoned off else-where.

So with a case of 0.8" you expecting Apple to put a usuable CPU in there? Charge twice as much as Dell/HP, etc and offer you the equivalent of a handbag dog?

Oh wait. They did that. It's called the Air.

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I bought my pro to meet my needs not to walk a round with a fashion statement,it was powerful at the time and i wanted something portable to be able to show clients webpages etc & to run OS X not for saying oh look at me i own a Mac & play games on it

Again its a machine for doing pro work & not a fashion statement

18. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

I agree with everything apart from the size, they don't want to push it making it too thin. Oh and the keyboard must be silver ;)

19. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if Apple made a 1" case 2 years ago you would think they could compact the MBP case by 0.1-0.2" now. the Core Duo MBP did have its problems but i think Apple has sorted these out now within these 2 years.

Apple asked Intel to make a smaller less powerful C2D for the Air because the needed to fit the CPU inside the case on the tiny logic board without compromising on performance i.e. using a different CPU like the pentium.

the Air case is 0.76" to 0.16" thick. to make the MBP case 0.8" thick the whole way and still having an optical drive, Apple would need to fit in a slimmer superdrive.

the MBP is a pro notebook and so would still have an optical drive until they are eventually ruled out like the floppy drive. the MBA is a lightweight, less powerful compromise with less inputs specifically for the ultra portable user. there will always be the Air and the MBP.

the MBP case cant be 1" thick forever. it will eventually get slimmer. thats what im saying.

20. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

*ahem* To those who are switchers (please keep this in mind) this design in a radical change from anything Dell, HP, or Gateway have ever come out with. Personally, I love the design, something about makes me want to cherish this laptop and make sure to keep it scratch-free. Unfortunately the designs from "the other guys" even though the Macbook Pro design is what? 5 years old, is still 3-4 years ahead of the other guys. :cool:

21. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the MBP screen is bloody thin and i hear the MBA screen is thinner. if Apple could make a MBA screen in 15.4" and 17" sizes they would only have to compress the internals by not even 2" and they could make the 0.8".

plus the 13" MBA screen is already manufactured so all they need to do is slap it on a MBP. although the case would need to be a little thicker just like the 12" PB case was a little thicker than the 15" & 17" PBs. could be the same thickness as the current MBPs?

if Apple choose to use the "MacBook" style keys which are now on every keyboard except the MBPs they would need to use plastic keys as flat anodised MacBook keys wouldnt look or "feel" aesthetically pleasing i would imagine (IWI?). and plastic keys painted silver would be to flimsy and cheap. this is why Apple chose black plastic keys for the MBA i guess. theres no doubt the MBP will get the black keys if Apple choose not to keep the existing keyboard... which is fine IMO! :)

exactly! :) ive had many complements on the design of my MBP and its 5 years old! :) but a new MBP design is inevitable. obviously not now as new speed bumps have just been released but im simply just guessing what Apple have designed already in prototypes ready for a release in the next few years. the MBP design will then be 5-6 years ahead of the "other guys" :D.

22. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

While the current MBP design may be dated for an Apple product it doesn't seem dated when compared to other current laptops. I was at Best Buy the other day browsing by their laptops and every single one looked cheap and ugly compared to the 5 year old MBP design. I could see why hardcore Apple fanatics would want some kind of redesign but coming from a person who has purchased two Macbooks and purchased their first Macbook Pro just one month ago the current design still seems fresh.

23. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

you say its gonna get thinner but how? the only part that can is the lid/screen because of ports and if it did its only gonna be by a tiny amount

edit just read your other post

24. DocSmitty macrumors regular

I don't know where the thought that Apple could easily have shrunk things over the last few years. Go look at the tear-down linked on Page 1, all of the components are the same size as the original Core Duo MBPs.

-HDD space has increased. Smaller form factor in Air comes at a speed and size cost.
    -Optical drives can only be shrunk so much, they have moving parts and the media they read does not change sizes over time.
    -RAM size does not change for years at a time. DDR3 is the same size, just with the 'notch' in a different location.
    -The battery was a major issue in the Air. I don't think anyone wants to see a thinner battery in the MBP if that means it is no longer user-replaceable.

Only one of the components has advanced to the point of being smaller than the original Core Duo MBP - the processor, as it is 45nm. Even then, the chipset available today is the same size as that for Merom, as it has not changed at all. Even when Montevina is released, there is no guarantee that Apple will reduce the size of the logic board.

Right now, the only room for slimming is in the LED screens, which are several millimeters thinner than the previous fluorescent backlights. You *might* be able to get .1" out of them, and it seems to me like Apple could have redesigned the top case for the screen while leaving the rest alone. My guess is that since they still have not upgraded every 17" to LED that they will not make this change until they have a universal standard for screen depth.

25. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeah my thoughts were spread over a few posts. the super drive and screen is pretty much the limiting factor to make the case slimmer. the 2.5" HDD is ~ 0.3" thick so no worries there. theres also a little bit of room above the ports to work with.

im most probably wrong thinking a MBP could get this thin but you never know what Apple's engineering team are working on right now.