Why I will probably buy the 16GB Wifi model

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Justin Luck, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Justin Luck macrumors regular

Anyone else notice that there is a $70 price difference between the iPod Touch 8GB and 32GB models and yet a $100 difference between the iPad 16GB and 32GB ones?

So according to Apple $70 is worth 24GB of flash memory in the iPod Touch line, but for the iPad, $100 is only worth 16 GB... Does this make any sense?

I am all for healthy profits for companies that provide consumers with quality products, but you have to admit, this is getting to be a bit much. When you think about it, the price Apple charges for flash memory (and 3G connectivity) is beyond orbit compared to any other electronics company. I simply cannot endorse this type of extreme price gouging, even from a company that makes great products.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i feel they have set fair prices. They set prices based on market.

Of course everyone wants cheaper products (not build quality), but the reality is, you get what you pay for.

3. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I think they charge what the market will bear. The iPad is at a good price point for the base model and they also have the competition beat on price. I think that some of their upgrade prices are out of line, especially with the laptops, but they sell like crazy so why change? As long as people continue to buy at these prices there is no need to lower them.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The prices are reasonable and understandable. They are at points at which people will buy. $499 is a good price. So is $229.
    If Apple drop the iPads price, it would be so close to the iPod Touch's price.
    If Apple drops the iPod Touch's price, it would be close to the Nano.

I guess its just one way to space out the products.

5. Justin Luck thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I understand about spacing products. But I'm not talking about the base prices. I purchased the 32GB iPod Touch because I felt it was a reasonable price separation even though $70 for 24GB is still above market value. But a 16GB increment for a $100 on top of a $500 product is too much to justify no matter how much I would like the extra space.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

It's only a rounding, price beautification thing Apple does. It's not actually that flash memory costs more. In fact they probably are paying less than ever for flash by buying a billion dollars worth.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'll bet millions of purchasers will not agree with your opinion.

8. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

100% Dead on.

Apple makes the most profit in the higher capacity field, lowering it will only feed those like you, who want more capacity for less.

9. Justin Luck thread starter macrumors regular

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Apple have always charged more for less.

Deal with it.

11. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Im getting the 32GB WiFi only.

I have my 16GB iPhone 4 for my music and regular games

I will have my iPad 2 for movies, games and to steal 3G from my iPhone 4 when im not near WiFi ;F

12. aberrero macrumors 6502a

In case nobody has noticed, flash memory is extremely cheap. Getting 32GB instead of 16GB only costs apple a few dollars.

They shouldn't even have a 16GB model, it should just be 32GB standard.

13. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Price is set by market forces and what people are prepared to pay, not their material value. Vote with your pockets and do what you want, and if that means skimping out on capacity, so be it.

As for somebody saying they shouldn't even bother with a 16GB model, why not? Not everybody wants to load it up with HD movies and thousands of music tracks.

14. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

he said they shouldn't bother with it due to the fact of the memory being cheap. No other reason. I agree with him too. a memory bump from 16 gb to 32 is pennies on the dollar when purchasing billions of dollars worth of it.

15. Gryzor macrumors 6502

So what? Apple are a business, and a highly profitable one at that. If you don't like what they sell, don't buy it. Believe it or not, I make money in my business my providing something to clients at a price that is more than the cost to myself. Simple equation really.

16. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

defensive much? do you honestly think i don't understand the concept of business? get over yourself.

17. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

The pricing on the iPad is, in my opinion, very competitive already. some of the newer competition is placing their low-end model at a higher price point than Apple's high end 3G iPad. Therefore Apple is still cheaper than those devices.

If you don't want to pay the extra $100 to buy the 32GB model then don't. However, be advised that if you do decide to go with the 32GB version, then just think an extra $100 would have gotten you the 64GB model.

My original plan was to get the 64GB with 3G and I ended up with a 32GB WiFI, and have never regretted it at all. I still have 18GB free on my iPad most of the time. When I travel I may load up a couple movies, then when I am done they are gone.