Why I will send back my brand new iMac...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Aucun Express, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Aucun Express macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I never thought I would post a message like the one I'm about to write. But here it is.
    I have received a brand new iMac. And 7 days later, I am putting it in its original box, in order to send it back to Apple. I don't want it anymore.
    What happened? Here is the full story.

Years ago, my ex-girlfriend wanted to buy a computer. I told her about Dell and what she could buy, but she bought an iBook instead. I laughed at her and the only time I tried it, I found it so hard to use that I stopped after a few seconds.

Years passed. Then came the iPod nano.
    I'll always remember the day after Steve Jobs introduced the iPod nano. It was in his small jean's pocket the all time! ;)
    I kept looking at the promo pictures of the nano, comparing it with the size of the fingers on the pictures.
    I bought one and fell in love with it. This really changed my life. At that time, I was still using MiniDiscs and it was just a pain. And music is so important in my life.

Then, there was the iPhone. I bought it. And as of today, my iPhone 3G is simply the thing that I ever bought. Simple. It is simply perfect the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing.

Then came the MacBook Air. It was in the enveloppe the all time!
    That's when I started to surf Apple.com in order to know more about Mac OS X. This seemed to be THE thing.

So, I waited more and then I made the decision: I would buy a Mac and leave for good the PC world.
    I waited like 5 months in order to be able to buy the refresh version of the iMac. I became obsessed with it! The more I waited, the more I wanted it. Every day I was reading Macrumors.com. It was imminent! New iMac.

Then the Apple Store went down... and a few hours after, the new iMac arrived. I immediately bought it.
    I selected the best configuration:
    - 3.06GHz.
    - 8GB of RAM (it costed me like 1200$ to get 4GB of additional RAM, but I knew that if I didn't take 8GB I would always ask myself "What if I had taken more RAM?")
    - 1TB of HDD.
    - The best ATI graphic card (4850).
    - I also selected iWorks because I wanted to leave Microsoft for good.
    Total price? 4500$ (I live in Europe). This was frickin' expensive, three times the price of my car... But I wanted the ultimate computer...

I had to wait like 4 weeks. It was just a long nightmare... But last week it arrived. My brand new iMac!
    I opened it and it was just gorgeous. Beautiful design, beautiful keyboard, beautiful mouse. I already knew them by heart.
    It looked just stunning in my office.
    I switched it on. Finally, it was time...
    WELCOME!

It was just beautiful.

Despite a dead pixel, everything was just perfect: the screen, Time Machine, the dock, the media center, the remote, the speed, everything.

But something was really annoying. The mouse was kinda strange. I thought the feeling would pass after a while. But it didn't pass.
    I learned a few days ago that the curve of the mouse sensitivity is different on a Mac. So I downloaded every software I could (like USB Overdrive) in order to change that.
    But this didn't change. I kept clicking someplace else.
    And the MightyMouse itself is just crap. Big crap. You have to remove your left finger of the mouse in order to be able to do the right click. The wheel is just a nightmare to use. And the click is so loud. It feels like having a big rock in your hand.
    So I switched to a Logitech mouse and the result was better, but I still couldn't get pass this damn curve sensitivity.

And day after day, I couldn't get this feeling out of my head. The OS looks "heavy". The windows aren't light as they seem in Windows (if you see what I mean). I cannot move into the folders as quick as I can in Windows with the keyboard. I learned all the Mac shortcuts, but it was really not as fast as on Windows.

But I kept thinking that it was just me and that after a while it would pass.
    I tried iWorks but it wasn't as good as Office 2007 (which I love). So I bought Office 2008 for Mac. And I was badly surprised. The main feature of Office 2007 (the big menu bar) is not there on the Mac version.
    It is just a nightmare to use Office 2008, compared to the delight of Office 2007 (first good version of Office to this day).

Then, I installed the Adobe CS4 studio. Again, a nightmare to use. Impossible to type down my code in Dreamweaver...

On the other hand, this computer is just gorgeous in order to watch films, see pictures or play music. The remote is a delight to use. But I have to work with it...
    And since a few months, I am using Windows 7 Beta on my usual computer. And it is just great to use. I even use my real files with the Beta version!

So, yesterday, I took the harsh decision. I removed all my files and put back the iMac into its original box. I'll call Apple and will send it back to them.

This is a shame, I thought that using the iMac for the first time would be like the first time I switched on my iPod nano or my iPhone. Unfortunately, it isn't the case.

2. three macrumors 6502a

three

You can change the mouse sensitivity settings in System Preferences. I think you should unpack it and mess around with it for a couple more weeks. You will grow to love it.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you've customized the iMac I'm not sure you can send it back. Best of luck to you though on the PC side. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

4. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Damn, I always knew the 'mouse' felt different (not talking about hardware).

I mean, I've grown to love it, so I'm not complaining. But now that I think about it, I think it has less of an acceleration speed... if that makes any sense? :confused:

Ah well, been using a mac for over a year now and I love it. It makes me feel like such a rebel!!! :D

Sorry it didn't work out for you my man. Windows 7 definitely looks cool, I wouldn't worry much. You know, if you really love the hardware side of a mac, you could always run bootcamp and just use windows on your iMac.

5. kurosov macrumors 6502a

I personally prefer to work with the adobe web design packages on mac than on pc.

iwork is never advertised as a replacement to ms office and they each have advantages in certain areas over each other. I find neo office the best replacement to ms office though.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

LOL. Just because you don't know how to use something doesn't mean it's not a good product.

The default mouse curve for OSX is set for PRECISION WORK. It can be changed if you want the windows mousing curve.

Impossible to type code in Dreamweaver? What are you talking about? Why don't you contact Adobe? Adobe product has nothing to do with Apple.

7. VulnoX macrumors member

Sounds like you need to give it more time.

First off, the mouse isn't, at least to me, a real valid complaint. I can't think of a single computer, Dell, Apple, etc, that I have ever used the mouse it came with. The Mighty Mouse is awful, this isn't news. You can do like I did and get a Logitech MX510 for $30 and its better in almost every way.

As for OSX, its a different OS, it takes time to learn the new way things work. But once you do, I can almost promise you will like it better. I have been using Windows for years, up to March when I got my Mac Mini, my first Mac. I first used it for Plex, then took it on a business trip where we did a lot of photo work and were working with Photoshop, Nikon Camera Control Pro 2, etc. It all went SO MUST FASTER using OSX. I would hit the button for Expose, see all our open windows at once, and quickly move around. I would drag a photo to the Photoshop icon in the OSX Bar and it would open in PS, where Windows would just say "This object cannot be placed there".

Its a very smart system, its secure, faster when using more apps, and overall better in almost every way (Except no damn cut/paste for files, thats pretty stupid).

But it took time, you have to learn a different way of looking at things, but once you do, I think you will really like it.

And yes, I use Windows still,I am typing this on my Windows 7 PC. The iMac is for my Fiance and my Mac Mini is still my media center PC. But when I pay off her iMac I am getting one for myself.

Just, give it time.

8. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Wow how much did they charge you to return it?

Don't they charge a 10% restocking fee?

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

You sent a mac back because you're used to the poor mouse motion of windows and couldn't stand Microsoft's cranky software?

I'm not being a fan boy here but every OS I've used APART from windows had a more natural mouse motion that any flavour of windows, even vista or XP and I'm talking as far back as the Atari ST, Mac Plus, Commodore Amiga etc...

I can understand your frustration with Microsoft Office 2008, there's a TON of problems with it and Microsoft don't seem to be doing more than listing them as "known issues" instead of simply porting the windows version to OS X, eliminating any bugs they've created and then simply selling one office suite with both Mac/PC versions on the DVD.

10. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

Just to add something. I called a few minutes ago in order to organize the return of my iMac. The woman at the helpdesk was just insanely nice with me. She explained me everything, she just asked the reason and didn't try to tell me that I could do this and that to fix my "problem". Usually the customer people try to change your mind. She didn't.
    She said that I will receive the exact amount of money that I paid. Everything will be free, including the transport.
    So, the customer care was 120% great.

I still love Apple. I already miss Time Machine. :apple:

Damn mouse feeling!

11. Sermon macrumors regular

So, essentially you are sending back your iMac because the mouse doesn't feel right and because you haven't completely gotten used to the Mac OS environment yet? Well .......

12. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Going from PC to Mac, or specifically from Windows to Mac OS X may take some time for some people, or will be a breeze for others. For me, the keyboard shortcuts took the longest time to get used to, but I'm happy I got used to it and find that when I'm using a PC, I find myself using OS X shortcuts in Windows and I'm annoyed they don't work for a second :p

So I guess my point is, it seems you were perhaps hasty in returning the iMac for something you would have no doubt gotten used to in time? In hindsight, maybe it would have been a better idea not to have purchased an expensive machine from the outset and perhaps bought a used Mac mini to experiment on first?

As for the software, you may have discovered alternative customisation features to allow the Mac to work closer to your requirements. You may have been able to customise Office for Mac to your personal preferences, or perhaps Mac OS X itself if you really were frustrated by it initially - something you could have found out if you used a demonstration machine at your local retailer. For software that you just can't find alternatives for the Mac, that's where Bootcamp or Parallels/Fusion comes in handy - alllowing you the best of both worlds. If your happy with the hardware, why return it because of the software?

I can understand your need to return the iMac to get your money back, but next time, consider dipping your toe in the water instead of diving in and expect the water to be exactly to your liking! ;)

Good luck in whatever you decide to do for the future :)

13. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that was the major issue after the mouse curve. I use Microsoft Office every day and I didn't want to run it through VMWare Fusion or Parallels (that would be stupid to migrate to OS X and then run the major software on Windows).
    I was never a fan of Microsoft Office, but the first day I saw the Beta version of Office 2007, I was really impressed. Since then, I really enjoyed working with it. You should have seen the look on my face when I first opened Word 2008 for Mac. :eek:
    I thought it would be the exact same thing. I even thought that the 2008 version would be better than the 2007 (since it was one year later). What a fool I was.

14. ElSkribento macrumors newbie

Seems to me that you thought that Mac OS was just like Windows... (thank god it isn't!). The mouse movement, as already mentionen, can be adjusted. About the "heavy feeling" you describe i'm not sure what you mean. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that Mac OS is heavier/slower to use than windows...

15. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I think it's close to a monopoly case if apple took it that far. Microsoft have deliberately crippled their flagship office suite that started life on the Mac to begin with through poor coding, not done anything to resolve it and then started an advertising campaign about how easy things are with windows.

Personally, If I'd bought Office 2008 and being stung like a lot of mac users have, I'd have no moral problem with downloading a torrent of both Vista and Office 2007 for windows. Then buying VMWare Fusion to run it under so at least a competent Mac developer is getting rewarded for their efforts and I had a usable version of MS Office.

Microsoft have being utter twunts over the past year to mac users.

16. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

I jumped to Mac OS X from windows and yes, mouse feels different, but I surely can't think about it as a valid reason to return a iMac. Actually, after a week or so I didn't even notice it.

If you love the hardware and the looks, but you can't get used to Mac OS, why don't you simply install vista with bootcamp? 1 Tb should give plenty of space for both OS.

17. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I find your comments about office amazing, especially those regarding 2007 for Windows. Everyone I know hates it. The ribbon interface is so different from what we are used to it makes it very difficult to find, much less perform the most basic functions. Even our 13 yo daughter who does not have years invested in Office XP and Office 2003 does not like 2007 at all.

Our company and most of our client's firms are firmly entrenched with Office 2003 with no desire to move to 2007. Until this moment I'd not seen such positive comments on its use. Perhaps I shall give it another look.

As to Office 2008 for Mac, the loss of VB is somewhat annoying and the occasional Word crash is frustrating, but Entourage 2008 is much better than 2004 (other than Microsoft crippling Exchange support in the less expensive versions) and I use it constantly as my primary version of Office so as to avoid Windows as much as possible (Some Notes databases that use Windows specific calls and all my games being the main reason I still have VMWare and/or bootcamp).

I wish you well on your return to Windows and look forward to scoring a great deal on a refurbished iMac with ATI4850 once all those returns are put back into circulation!

Cheers,

18. hector macrumors regular

19. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Sounds like my sister. When mum replaced her Windows computer with an iMac, every day my sister would say Mac's suck, it annoyed the hell out of me. I was always like "It's only because you don't know how to use it". Then a few months later she stopped saying it, simply because she learnt how to use it properly, and she now has a Macbook. Get to learn to use it and trust me, you will love it. Also, the mouse thing is ridiculous. I never had a problem, nor did my friends who hadn't used a Mac before have a problem. I've never even heard of that. I use Windows very rarely for a few games, and I feel no difference in the mouse. And if I right click I always lift my finger off the left part of the mouse, so it doesn't bother me.

20. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

I find all your remarks very delicate and intelligent. I like this forum and the way that we can talk and exchange arguments (which is not always the case on the Internet).

I still think that Mac OS X is better than Windows on many things (Vista sucks). The look, the features, everything was done in a perfect way. I never had those damn "Not responding" windows as on... Windows.
    But moving into files and folders felt way too slow compared to Windows (especially Windows 7, I don't talk about Vista). Even after learning the shortcuts.
    Again, if that was a multimedia machine, like a home computer for surfing the Internet, watching films and listening to music, that would be perfect. But for working extremely quickly, (I'm not talking about hardware), that was a different thing.
    But of course, maybe if I worked every day with it, I could get pass this feeling. But I also work every day (at work) with a PC... So I don't know if that's the best thing to use two different type (my hand wanted to do a Command+Q on my laptop...).

But what if I don't and I still find it annoying and that I paid 4500 bucks for a machine I don't want anymore? And yes I installed Boot Camp, but why paying that much money in order to have a nice looking PC?
    So, I'll send it back and maybe, as someone said, I could buy the cheapest Mac (Mini). And maybe they will do a cheap netbook one day.
    Or maybe one day Apple will change the mouse way and users will be able to select a Windows kind of curve in the options.

About the mouse, here is an article about it:
    http://db.tidbits.com/article/8893

21. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I know it's a bit late now but I just wanted to quickly say NEVER buy RAM from Apple... it's got a lot better recenty but it's still more expensive than doing it yourself.

22. hector macrumors regular

Interesting article, although I have to admit belonging to the camp that hasn't noticed the difference (I use a mac at home and a PC at work).

I think his comment about his forearm being in extreme pain after 20 minutes is pretty laughable, I have never heard of anyone being in 'extreme pain' after using the mouse on a mac!

23. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

I agree with everyone else. Almost every grip you've listed is fixable in osx. You just need to learn more shortcuts and features of OSX.
    Macs are super snappy. I can open up 10 applications and 15 files in less than a minute. You say you've learned ALL the shortcuts. That's pretty impressive. What about Cmd+Space bar. It opens up spotlight. I can hit cmd+spc and type two letters and open any application/file/folder.....well ANYTHING that's four buttons to press to open any item on my computer. And besides microsoft is constantly copying off OSX now days why not have the original....THE BEST?

24. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Some people just go with the initial first impressions, and many users here need Macs because they're media types for whom Apple can (but by no means always) work better.

For those who can see / do beyond that, the platform has some salient deficiencies with Windows isn't afflicted with. You indirectly pointed out one of them - the app choices.

I'm happy enough with the iMac as my kitchen PC. But use it as a primary work machine in comparison to a Dell desktop of the same price? You must be joking - so your decision is quite understandable. It'll be hard to find as pretty a machine in the same price bracket though.