Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madame Defarge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Bay Area
Interesting article from the tech reviewer at Business Week. His beef is with no 3rd party apps.

Here's an excerpt and link:

Why I Won't Buy an iPhone
Apple has abandoned its founding ethos of creativity and innovation by hanging up on third-party software developers

by Arik Hesseldahl

I don't own an iPhone, and I don't think I ever will. That may come as a surprise to anyone acquainted with my long history of owning and liking Apple (AAPL) products.

It's not that I don't think it's an extraordinary device (BusinessWeek.com, 7/3/07). Having tried it, I think it represents a fundamental step forward in what a mobile phone can be. And it sure looks like it's going to be imitated six ways to Sunday.

But what I can't take is how Apple is keeping the iPhone from evolving in a manner consistent with its corporate heritage. Over the years I've owned many wireless devices, including a Treo (PALM), three or four BlackBerrys (RIMM), and tested my share of phones running Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows Mobile and the Symbian OS, majority owned by Nokia (NOK).

Web Apps Only
In almost every case, I've had an important option I wouldn't get on the iPhone: installing third-party software. What's so big about that? Sometimes the package of software installed on the phone simply isn't very good. My BlackBerry, for instance, comes with an instant messaging program I found lacking, so I installed an excellent alternative called JiveTalk. On the BlackBerry, it's a dedicated application, installed directly on the device via a cellular download.

http://www.businessweek.com/print/technology/content/oct2007/tc2007105_056012.htm

shortelvis

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Oh well...

Can't please everyone. If you open the iPhone to every app, you get Windows.

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Expect an announcement in the next month.

~ CB

lol do you have any info we don't?

As for the OS X analogy people do demand greater stability from their mobile - it should 'never' crash and stop you from doing what its there for: making calls.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
lol do you have any info we don't?

As for the OS X analogy people do demand greater stability from their mobile - it should 'never' crash and stop you from doing what its there for: making calls.

Macos x is extremely stable even with third party apps. That's what is so wonderful: that one app crashing doesn't bring down the entire system. The Iphone is the same thing: when safari crashes, the phone still continues to work.

Also, it's not like anybody would be forcing people to use third party apps. Many people would probably not need to, especially if Apple actually adds features regularly the way it said it would be doing!

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
Macos x is extremely stable even with third party apps. That's what is so wonderful: that one app crashing doesn't bring down the entire system. The Iphone is the same thing: when safari crashes, the phone still continues to work.

Also, it's not like anybody would be forcing people to use third party apps. Many people would probably not need to, especially if Apple actually adds features regularly the way it said it would be doing!

Same with Linux. It takes some work to crash my linux box hard, and I've got 3rd party apps all over it, some even poorly coded (gasp!)

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Interesting article from the tech reviewer at Business Week. His beef is with no 3rd party apps.

Here's an excerpt and link:

Why I Won't Buy an iPhone
Apple has abandoned its founding ethos of creativity and innovation by hanging up on third-party software developers

by Arik Hesseldahl

I don't own an iPhone, and I don't think I ever will. That may come as a surprise to anyone acquainted with my long history of owning and liking Apple (AAPL) products.

It's not that I don't think it's an extraordinary device (BusinessWeek.com, 7/3/07). Having tried it, I think it represents a fundamental step forward in what a mobile phone can be. And it sure looks like it's going to be imitated six ways to Sunday.

But what I can't take is how Apple is keeping the iPhone from evolving in a manner consistent with its corporate heritage. Over the years I've owned many wireless devices, including a Treo (PALM), three or four BlackBerrys (RIMM), and tested my share of phones running Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows Mobile and the Symbian OS, majority owned by Nokia (NOK).

Web Apps Only
In almost every case, I've had an important option I wouldn't get on the iPhone: installing third-party software. What's so big about that? Sometimes the package of software installed on the phone simply isn't very good. My BlackBerry, for instance, comes with an instant messaging program I found lacking, so I installed an excellent alternative called JiveTalk. On the BlackBerry, it's a dedicated application, installed directly on the device via a cellular download.

http://www.businessweek.com/print/technology/content/oct2007/tc2007105_056012.htm

He'll own one soon enough.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
Can't please everyone. If you open the iPhone to every app, you get Windows.

And seeing how Windows is on over 90% of the worlds computers, I can see how thats a bad thing huh? Apple is by no way perfect, I'm discovering that each day with my phone and my new iPod, both which have significant flaws.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
it doesn't do what he wants it to do so he's not going to buy one.

As a followup, I expect an in-depth examination of why he purchases vanilla ice cream instead of strawberry.

kdawg

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2004
I think that was a very well written article. Personally I was very disappointed that apple sold their soul to ATT given the fact that they are all about “innovation” and what not.

The fact of the matter is that the article makes a good point. You cannot install third party apps even though it is running OS X…. Would you buy a macbook if you couldn’t install other apps?

To insult the author by formulating whether or not the they prefer vanilla ice cream to strawberry indicates one of the following

1. You were too ignorant to read the article. So you just said something lame.
2. Your apple fanboi status does not allow you to think, read or speak against apples profit roadmap and you are just ignorant.

You decide which one you like best.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I think that was a very well written article. Personally I was very disappointed that apple sold their soul to ATT given the fact that they are all about “innovation” and what not.

The fact of the matter is that the article makes a good point. You cannot install third party apps even though it is running OS X…. Would you buy a macbook if you couldn’t install other apps?

To insult the author by formulating whether or not the they prefer vanilla ice cream to strawberry indicates one of the following

1. You were too ignorant to read the article. So you just said something lame.
2. Your apple fanboi status does not allow you to think, read or speak against apples profit roadmap and you are just ignorant.

You decide which one you like best.

Who cares if it is running OSX?

I bought a phone not an operating system.

Maybe that's the problem with some people. They want their iPhone to be their mac and they're annoyed when it's not.

Solution: don't buy it!

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
I liked third-party apps. It made to iPhone more fun and unique. Third-party apps also gave people functionality that Apple should have included in the first place. Killing third-party apps is strictly a greed factor on Apple's part. As soon as Leapord is released, I think SDK for the iPhone will also be released to select developers who will not provide freeware, but rather sell the apps through Apple (with Apple getting a cut, of course). So we'll not have true innovation. Only Apple's idea of innovation.

But for the iPhone itself, it is still the best and most fun phone on the market. LG may be coming out with a phone that had more functionality and is more like a phone of this calibre and price should have. But it will still be second to the market and Apple has been extremely hard to beat in the design department.

I like my iPhone. I'm glad I got it and would buy it again. I think I'll find the LG will have more functionality. But like most Mac owners, I still have Apple loyalty (even though they have no loyalty to their customers). I just hope that true third-party apps will be released soon. When they are, I'll make sure I don't take any more updates.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Killing third-party apps is strictly a greed factor on Apple's part.
Wonder if Apple would have locked 1.1.1 down as much as they did if people hadn't made SIM-unlocking as easy as they did?

Third-party apps don't hurt Apple's revenue. SIM-unlocking does.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Killing third-party apps is strictly a greed factor on Apple's part.

Yes. Because you personally saw the recent iPhone update code and deemed the apple update KILLED apps and did not instead simply patch security holes and update iphone settings that had been modified to a different state then apple factory condition thus making most 3rd party apps inoperable.

Wow.

Oh wait. You didn't.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yes. Because you personally saw the recent iPhone update code and deemed the apple update KILLED apps and did not instead simply patch security holes and update iphone settings that had been modified to a different state then apple factory condition thus making most 3rd party apps inoperable.

Wow. Oh wait. You didn't.

Wow yourself. Even the most ardent Apple fanatics on their own forum don't believe it was accidental re-locking and door-shutting.

As noted elsewhere, some of it has been seen.

For example, removing the ability to add more apps to the home page in the .plist file. Absolutely no reason to do that other than to make it more difficult. In fact, very counter-good-programming.

A classic case of cutting off their nose to spite their face.

kdawg

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2004
Sobe are you for real?

Who cares if it is running OSX?

I bought a phone not an operating system.

Maybe that's the problem with some people. They want their iPhone to be their mac and they're annoyed when it's not.

Solution: don't buy it!

Your ignorance is astounding. One of the many features of the iphone is the fact that it runs OS X.

I have been kind enough to provide a link even though you should have this information committed to your fanboi memory.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/index.html#macosx

I will be notifying the Fanboi Gestapo of your lack of commitment to actively memorize the product features of your iphone. Lock your doors and hide as I am sure that the appropriate reprimands are have already been made. (Is it bricked yet? Muh ha ha ha cackles Mr Jobs.)

The fact is (Mr. Fanboi), the iphone was touted to have been built on OS X. So many more people than you purchased the iphone BECAUSE it was built on the “rock solid” architecture of OS X. You bought the phone for other reasons and are probobably in the minority.

Having revealed the startling FACT that people purchased this device because it was advertised to run OSX, one would have to ascertain that the people who purchased this phone assumed it would do many things that their other Apple products with OS X do… Things like running 3erd party apps.… You have a device that can play Music & Video, read email and surf the net… That pretty much sounds like a personal computer… Most people install 3erd party apps on their personal computers…

But I’d guess that you are quite happy utilizing a device that has been crippled way below it’s potential and probably don’t install 3rd party apps on your personal computer either..

BTW,
If you ever get tired of the locked down features of the iphone & att or are longing for something much more restrictive I would highly recommend Verizon Wireless.
:D

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
The apps would be OSX. Is the Mac computer any worse off for having 3rd party apps? Hardly!

Wow, you just compared a phone to a computer. Good job. Its alright if you dont like the iphone, its not for everyone, but you cant compare it to a computer like that. Its not logical! Give it some time and im sure Apple will open up the platform to 3rd party apps. In the meantime, Apple has been in the phone business for 3+ months, let them settle in, they dont want to screw anything up.

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007

Wow.

Oh wait. You didn't.

You can defend Apple all you want. I like Apple products. But I don't bury my head in the sand about them either. They have a vested interest in preventing unlocking. AT&T gives them money for activation. They are also making deals elsewhere in the world with carriers that also wand exclusivity. If Apple can't guarantee exclusivity, then the deal for them deminishes. It was a smart move on Apple's part. But you also see them adding iTunes and selling ringtones. Third party apps allowed us to add ringtones for free. This cuts into Apple's revenue. You can't possibly believe that Apple didn't want to put a stop to this. Apple's history has always been one of control over the computing experience. The iPhone is nothing new in this regard. Apple simply wants to control the experience. When you see third party apps being sold by Apple (through iTunes) and no longer available for free, then tell me that Apple didn't kill third parts apps on purpose.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Having revealed the startling FACT that people purchased this device because it was advertised to run OSX, one would have to ascertain that the people who purchased this phone assumed it would do many things that their other Apple products with OS X do…
Unfortunately, too many of them also seem to assume that the OS X that iPhone runs (v 1.1.1) is the same [read: as mature and stable] as the Mac OS X (v 10.4.10) that they run on their computer.

kdawg

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2004
Unfortunately, too many of them also seem to assume that the OS X that iPhone runs (v 1.1.1) is the same [read: as mature and stable] as the Mac OS X (v 10.4.10) that they run on their computer.

Are you saying that the iphone is unstable!!?!?! Gasp!!! :eek:

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
Your ignorance is astounding. One of the many features of the iphone is the fact that it runs OS X.

I have been kind enough to provide a link even though you should have this information committed to your fanboi memory.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/index.html#macosx

I will be notifying the Fanboi Gestapo of your lack of commitment to actively memorize the product features of your iphone. Lock your doors and hide as I am sure that the appropriate reprimands are have already been made. (Is it bricked yet? Muh ha ha ha cackles Mr Jobs.)

The fact is (Mr. Fanboi), the iphone was touted to have been built on OS X. So many more people than you purchased the iphone BECAUSE it was built on the “rock solid” architecture of OS X. You bought the phone for other reasons and are probobably in the minority.

Having revealed the startling FACT that people purchased this device because it was advertised to run OSX, one would have to ascertain that the people who purchased this phone assumed it would do many things that their other Apple products with OS X do… Things like running 3erd party apps.… You have a device that can play Music & Video, read email and surf the net… That pretty much sounds like a personal computer… Most people install 3erd party apps on their personal computers…

But I’d guess that you are quite happy utilizing a device that has been crippled way below it’s potential and probably don’t install 3rd party apps on your personal computer either..

BTW,
If you ever get tired of the locked down features of the iphone & att or are longing for something much more restrictive I would highly recommend Verizon Wireless.
:D

When you're done with the name calling let me know.

If I want to deal with recess level quality swing set name calling I can go visit a day care center.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
It is funny though that the guy mentions the other phones, ones that aren't near as nice as the iPhone, but that is a matter of opinion I suppose. Third party apps would be very nice, and when that happens I think Apple will see even more phones sold. We just have to see what happens. I bought mine for the features out of the box, anything added would just be a nice bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.