Why I'm Returning My iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ali5707, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ali5707, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

ali5707 macrumors newbie

Let me start by saying I've gotten every new iPhone that's come out since the 3G, without fail, at either launch or pre-order. So I did the same for the 6, and after two days of using it I've decided to return it.

The reason for this is one-handed use. I love being able to hold and manipulate my phone in one hand, and for me the 5S fits comfortably in the sweet spot.

With the 6, my hand feels over-extended ever so slightly, and I have large hands so that's saying a lot. Also, when I'm lying down and reading the phone between my hands, the 6 puts pressure on the inside of my palms in a way that the 5S did not. Finally my thumb getting to the top of the screen requires extra extension. This might seem like a minor thing but with a lot of daily use, it adds up. I tried the double-tap thing but those taps also add up!

So after a weekend of use, I've asked myself: is it worth it? The answer is no. I think I'm going to miss the potential NFC the most. And the rounded edges feel very sexy. But battery life is only slightly better, I still can't get through a day with one charge (I'm a heavy user). The extra screen real estate is nice but not at the expense of one-hand use. I always have my iPad if I want to do something that requires a bigger screen.

So for the first time in my iPhone obsession, I'm forfeiting an upgrade, returning the 6, and praying that next year Apple will improve the guts of the 5S without increasing its size.

2. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Should have given it more time. Phones won't be getting any smaller. I have found that the right kind of case helps.

4. leenak macrumors 68020

5. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't put it past Apple to come out with a smaller phone at some point in the future. Apple has always been about making things smaller. I don't think phones are just going to keep getting bigger forever.

7. davemark macrumors newbie

i also find one hand use a little strange at the moment but i thought that moving from 4 to 5 and i very much got used to that .. and more i use the 6 the more my hand adapts to holding it etc

Im sure in time i will be fine :) if i was you give it a bit more time

8. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

I am actually doing the same thing today. For me, I got the 6 Plus using AT&T Next. It's not worth it for me for $47 per month for 20 months, when I still have a perfect condition 5s (I sold it on ebay, but the buyer didnt pay- suprise).

I just do not like the feel of the bigger phone. Additionally, the graphics on the 6 plus are not as good I would expect. The camera is phenomenal- I almost wanted to keep it for that reason.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, the battery life is terrible (and I can't use a Mofi Case on a phone this big). It's 10:45 am and I am already at 60% (I havent used it that much).

I would sell it on Ebay, but it's not worth selling it on Ebay with AT&T Next.

9. julius071 macrumors regular

10. kgian macrumors regular

Still waiting for it to come to Greece and try it in store..

11. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

12. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

13. GB11 macrumors member

I agree 100% horrible phone now just put it i the mail box and send it to me and I will make sure that it get returned. :cool::cool::cool:

14. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

The big question is what are you going to do when you tire of your 5S? Seems like very few options out there for people who like a 4" phone. Still shocked they didn't offer 3 sizes this year. I would guess Samsung will try hard to get back into that market at some point - any chance they get to stick it to Apple and steal a customer or two they'll do it.

15. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

You say you have big hands but than say the 6 is too big? Lol it's ok if you have tiny hands. Just be honest

16. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

I'm also about to do the same thing. I'm going to use it for this week though to make sure a smaller device is what I really want which right now it is. If I still feel the same way, I'm exchanging my 6 for a 5s this weekend.

17. golfdude macrumors regular

I felt the same way the first day I had the phone, but now I have noticed I am getting used to it. I played around with my 5S last night and not sure I can go back to such a small screen. The 6 is a better phone than the 5s, hands down.

18. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Why I'm Returning My iPhone 6

The 5s will not be getting no upgrades in a years time, at least no significant ones... For me the 5 and 5s hurt my hands after any prolonged use, due to the square edges. But if it's fine for others and works for them all well and good. I'm loving my 6, nicest iPhone I've had for me and I've had them all since the original. Battery life is not terrible, my 6 is better than my 5 and 5s ever were so maybe other peoples aren't set up correctly or they've used a backup from an old phone. Try to stick with it for a little longer until you decide 100%.

19. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

iMac - 2 sizes offered
    Macbook Pro - 2 sizes offered
    Macbook Air - 2 sizes offered
    iPad - 2 sizes offered
    iPod - 2 sizes offered
    Time Capsule - 2 sizes offered
    Apple Watch - 2 sizes offered

Really, you're surprised Apple is offering 2 sizes iPhones?

20. Phoboss macrumors member

thought about it as well. switched from a Nexus 5 to a 5s. No the iPhone 6 is exactly the same size as my old nexus 5, and I'm thinking of sticking with my 5s, BUT what are you going to do in 2-3 years when your 5s is rather old and starts to be slow like the 4s is now.
    I don't think apple will go back to a smaller screen after the release of the 6, so you might as well get used to it now.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the 5s with a otter case is about the limit of what I can hold and use one hand.I like to be able to use the phone one handed in bed.seems those daycare about over.

22. Padmini macrumors 6502a

I got a 6 Plus. And love it.

I also wish Apple has had introduced an updated 4" model.

However, I have a theory that because the 5s is still around at $99.....that NEXT year they may indeed introduced a "newly" designed 4' iPhone at $99.

Not everyone wants a device as big as iPhone 6. I wanted one as big as 6 Plus. But I'm not so delusional as to believe that everyone wanted 4.7" or bigger. Very surprised at Apple with this.

23. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Time Capsule only has 1 size.
    iPod has Shuffle, Nano, and Touch. 3 sizes

24. Ann P macrumors 68020

Sorry to hear. Bigger screen is not for everyone.