Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Because i allready have a macbook and an iPhone. I also have a lot of apps purchased, and the iPad2 is a great device. And i hate plastic devices, srsly is there another tablet that uses aluminum or other metal? Becuz all i see are plastic devices, the iPad is a joy to handle and feels great in hands.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There are tablets on the market other than the iPad?

I mean, I've looked around Best Buy, and I sure can't find any. Just some plastic-and-metal things that are nothing more than expensive non-working toys.

I went to BB and they had fully working versions of the iPad, Xoom, Tab, Playbook, and that Acer.

Are you sure you went to BB?

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I've seen the iPad and at times I consider buying one. There seems to be a few reasons that I would. However I know that there are a few other tablets out there, like the Motorola Xoom, and the Samsung Galaxy.

So what are some reasons that you prefer the iPad / iPad 2 over the others? Or do you?

If you're asking this question you haven't done near enough research, read here, read the other product forums, search google ... in a few hours you'll be able to make a decision that suits you best.

Better yet, go to a store and try them all...

(ps: Enjoy your iPad :D)

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
I have both a iPad 2 and a Playbook and a Asus Transfomer on order. There both great. If you (OP) are looking for a android tablet then I would go with the Asus Transfomer over the Xoom.

Sothos

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2009
Prefer iPad because of the consistency of the iUniverse. ITunes, App Store etc.
Exchange of programs between iPhone, iPod and iPad. Also MobileMe counts in here.

And there are sweet little details like the magnet smart cover

+1. Life is just so much easier when everything is compatible with each other.

Wolfmore

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
smoothness

what i love about iOS that i still dont feel the competition has matched is the smoothness, responsiveness, and accuracy of the touch interface. and that is what its all about i think. How smooth pages in the browser scroll or any other app.

The responsiveness and accuracy was amazing since 1st gen iphone. i still get amazed when im trying to click a zoomed out specific link among a list of other links and amazingly iOS gets it right even though my fat fingers touched the neighboring links.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I've seen the iPad and at times I consider buying one. There seems to be a few reasons that I would. However I know that there are a few other tablets out there, like the Motorola Xoom, and the Samsung Galaxy.

So what are some reasons that you prefer the iPad / iPad 2 over the others? Or do you?

CONTENT!!! 75,000 TABLET APPS!!! bunch of subscription magazines (some here and more coming), bunch of awesome first class games, bunch of media apps, etc. iOS 5.0 coming out next month or so. More reliable updates (when and soon).

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just learned that the Android phone from my wife need to update from 2.1 to 2.2. Funny enough it's only supported with a Windows machine. Its one of those LadyGaGa Sharp IS03 phones here in Japan from au. To update my iPad I can at least use my iMac ... Gives me some bad fears to ever get android if they need windows ...

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just learned that the Android phone from my wife need to update from 2.1 to 2.2. Funny enough it's only supported with a Windows machine. Its one of those LadyGaGa Sharp IS03 phones here in Japan from au. To update my iPad I can at least use my iMac ... Gives me some bad fears to ever get android if they need windows ...

...the AU shop can't help you upgrade it?

Are you any where near CFAY?

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
For me, it's mostly the battery-life and usability of the on-screen keyboard.

I've got an Android phone, and to be honest would say the apps thing is exaggerated. Pretty much any app you are likely to want is available on both platforms.

But where the iPad wins out for me is that the claimed 10-hour battery-life is absolutely genuine. With most devices, you halve the claimed life to get a reasonable estimate of real-life usage, but I've run the iPad for 9.5 hours and still had 27% charge showing. It genuinely is a 'use all day, never carry a power adapter' device.

Couple that to the superb on-screen keyboard (and I speak as someone who usually hates those with a vengeance), and you have a fantastic device.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
test drive the other tablets and see what you like and don't like.

All I can say is why I opted for the iPad. You need to make the decision for yourself.

The knock on android's app store is an immature criticism, it will catch up fairly quickly, just look at how quickly android caught up to the iPhone.

As for refinement, I've heard nothing but great things for honeycomb, its a highly polished, easily configurable OS. Whether you prefer that or iOS is purely a personal choice.

I will say that apple has iPad precisely targeted. The Xoom is a bit over priced imo

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
Some people will use iTunes as a reason NOT to get the iPad.
Yes, that put me off, and I definitely bought mine in spite of, not because of, iTunes.

I can't believe a company so focused on beautiful design and simple user-interfaces could create such an utterly appalling mess as iTunes.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I went to BB and they had fully working versions of the iPad, Xoom, Tab, Playbook, and that Acer.

Our BB didn't seem to push non-Apple tablets, but our local Staples has large aisle-end displays facing the front door, with the Nook, Xoom, Playbook and the Acer Iconia.

He said "run Android app", which it does.

To run on the Playbook, an Android app will have to be quickly run through a RIM developer signing/init tool. Not a big deal, but it means that each developer will have to take the time to do that and then submit their converted app to the Playbook store. Cuts down on the riff raff apps, hopefully.

what i love about iOS that i still dont feel the competition has matched is the smoothness, responsiveness, and accuracy of the touch interface. and that is what its all about i think. How smooth pages in the browser scroll or any other app.

I think the Playbook and later Android devices are just as nice. The Playbook is especially silky smooth when running multiple apps while you look at them in the tasks view.

i still get amazed when im trying to click a zoomed out specific link among a list of other links and amazingly iOS gets it right even though my fat fingers touched the neighboring links.

Yep, it's amazing. Again, it's the same with others. Capacitive screens return proximity values all around the touch point, which their decoders use to calculate the center. Apple does have a nice algorithm for that.

Janet1

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
I had a Xoom and got rid of it. For me it wasn't just lack of available apps, but it didn't seem as responsive to the touch. I had it calibrated a number of times and finally gave up. But they may have improved by now or I might just have gotten a lemon.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
In my case, the iPad runs on iOS, a solid platform that constantly keeps improving.
Back in 2010 when all kinds of tablet were announced, I didn't buy an iPad until June, mainly because I was waiting for all those other incredible tablets to come out. The wait was for nothing; these tablets were all abandoned by their manufacturers and all their amazing promises were never delivered, so I got tired of waiting and finally decided to get an iPad on the last day AT&T offered the Unlimited Plan for the iPad.

Now that I new tablets came out like the Xoom and the Blackberry, I still don't regret getting the iPad. I would get the iPad 2 as soon as I have enough money saved for it.

Another reason not to choose another Tablet is the fact that you can find Tablet that used to sell for $400+, now available for about $150.00 or even less! Even the Xoom had to drop price because it's not selling as expected. If a product doesn't sell well enough it gets abandoned by its manufacturer. And certainly I do not want to be the proud owner of an abandoned product!

The iPad ecosystem has evolved rapidly, more than most of us ever expected. iOS has been gaining new functionality with a minimal performance hit.
On the other hand, the competitors keep throwing new versions of their tablets instead of supporting them. Just as with their phones, they release their newest product, sell it, provide maybe an update or two, and then focus on their next newest product and forget about the previous one.
That's why my HTC Touch Pro 2 phone's last and only firmware upgrade was an already outdated version of WM 6.5, then no more upgrades ever again.

And those are my reasons why I keep choosing the iPad over any other Tablet.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I had a Xoom and got rid of it. For me it wasn't just lack of available apps, but it didn't seem as responsive to the touch. I had it calibrated a number of times and finally gave up. But they may have improved by now or I might just have gotten a lemon.

If you could trim the fat and dumb the bloatware, including the nice and colorful animated desktops, etc., it may run a little better. But then I wouldn't look as much fun as then you first saw it at the store.

How many times do you needed to calibrate an iPad? None! There's no need to calibrate!:D

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I just picked up the Acer Iconia Tab, and am pretty impressed. Heavier (by alot) than the iPad2, but the screen response is a good match for reaction time and graphic flow. The Tegra2 makes a huge difference and Invidia's graphics experience is pretty obvious. The screen isn't an IPS screen, but looks danged good from all front angles to me. It has the standard android market on it and so far I've found parallels for all my favorite iPad apps but FlipBoard. The web on the 10.1" 1280x800 screen is "almost" as nice as on my desktop monitor, and better than that using safari on my iPad2. Movies are nicer too.

The iPad has the advantage of it's head-start, and all the accessories available for it. In my local Target, I didn't even realize they had both the Xoom and the Iconia Tab for sale until I stumbled upon them two rows away from the iPad display and among the GPS devices. If Target had been smart enough to display the Acer Tab right beside the iPad, and had employees smart enough to demonstrate the features of both, they would be selling far more of the Tab than they are. It helps that they only get a new iPad2 to sell once a week or less often.

rav16

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
If not iPad then I might look in webos tablet from HP which will come in June. I think I won't buy a android tablet because I just don't find any tablet so far smooth, fluid in it's operation . iPad in my opinion is just superb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.