Why is all the news about Libya when Japan's situation is catastrophic?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Frisco, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I feel for the Lebanon fighters, but the crisis in Japan is much worse and very few news organizations are talking about it. Why?
    '

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unfortunately, Japan is yesterday's news. A long time ago I decided to not allow the media to dictate what was most important to me. News coverage, or lack thereof, won't push me into thinking that what happened and is happening in Japan is suddenly unimportant. People are still displaced, without the basic necessities, and in terrible grief.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Libya is the crisis of the week. Japan is so last week. Or so sayeth our ADHD media outlets.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

War is always top news

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Seems like the news networks I click on go back and forth between both stories.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Because Japan was last week and it is old. And unless there is a huge explosion (which is not going ot happen) or some other huge thing they are not going to care.
    There needs to be a new tragic for them to give a rats ass about it sadly.
    The media today does not care about the truth or news any more. They only care money and will spend the truth in any way to do it.

Mass media today. An ophena is burning and nuns are crying. They care about "Who nun is crying more and whos flames are bigger"

7. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Sad

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I understand your concern, considering your proximity to the Jet Stream. And if you have loved-ones in Japan, even worse.

I believe a lot of the down-play is the various governments' way of combating panic.

And, as we have seen the last few days, we have little room for optimism, the way events are unfolding in Japan.

I believe this will eventually be far worse than Hiroshima and Nagasaki, combined.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Acts of God, while tragic, are kinda one-shot things - the earthquake hits, the tsunami comes and goes, and...well, that's pretty much it. The rest is the cleanup and the body count, not that I'm trying to minimize that.

War is much different - as long as the belligerents are still fighting, there will be more casualties; the story continues to unfold, so to speak.

Both are big news, and both are bad news - but one is more "ongoing" than the other.

In the end, you should probably decide for yourself which you think is more important, and follow accordingly. Don't let the news outlets decide for you which is more important, or what you should think about either of them.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

very good answer

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Act of God, if you will, but the stress on the tectonic plates caused by the 'draw' of the Moon on it's 18-year cycle, almost certainly caused this event to occur.

IMO.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Nothing new to report maybe. Japan is recovering and digging out.

It's still front page news, just not lead story.

13. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. The situation in Libya gets the lead on the news but Japan is where I focus more attention on at the moment.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. It's the news. They need to report something. If nothing has changed, they report something else.

I'm also more worried about the Japanese situation than Libya, but it's mostly because I've been to Japan around 15 times and have lots of friends there. My friend lives in Miyagi, and not all that far from Fukushima. Also, I'm a semi-expert in radiation and its effects on the body, so I am generally interested in what is happening.

However, if there are more developments in Libya than there are in Japan, then they need to report it. They can't just go on TV and say, "Today, in Japan, nothing new happened. The situation still sucks."

Not everything is about greed, conspiracies, etc. Why are people so paranoid? :confused: If more people are interested in the Japan situation than the events in Libya, then there are no reasons why a news source (TV, newspapers, radio) would want to dedicate more of their show on the Libya situation than the nuclear situation in Japan. If this was really about money, they'd spend more time reporting news that people want to hear, and that's Japan, as that's what will make them money.

15. arkitect, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, but you were asking about Libya.
    Lebanon/Libya… Switzerland/Sweden… Alabama/Albania… What do they teach you over there?

Why do you believe events in Japan are much worse? People fighting and dying for liberty not so much?

Short answer:
    Japan is a crisis being contained.
    Libya is a crisis with no end in sight.

And I thought your job involved helping people with their prescriptions, not you tripping out on their meds.

You typing on an iPad again? ;)

16. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

lol.

17. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I don't feel for the Lebanese fighters ;) but I do think the UN could be doing a lot for the Japanese in addition to helping Libyans.

I'd also be worried in California and all around the Pacific ring of fire, as there seems to be a lot of movements around there and unfortunately Obama might end up having his own 'Katrina' in California.

The nuclear situation in Fukushima is of course worrying, but as said earlier - containment and repair is much less 'interesting' than a revolt.

18. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

While you're at it, what about Haiti? They need help far, far more than Japan. 18 months on, a decent percentage are still living in shanty towns, rape gangs are roaming, very little clean water etc. etc. etc.

19. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Shhh, plus Wyclef Jean is back there now, so they have nothing to worry about anymore /s

20. Keebler macrumors 68030

unfortunately, it's how media distributes news to us. :(

interesting about Libya - saw limitless last night and there was a tidbit in there about organizing an attack on libya etc... not much of one, but i thought, "isn't that interesting - they made this movie months ago, if not last year and suddenly, Libya is under attack". The tidbit was about oil and energy and couldn't have been just edited in (given how the scene played out). very interesting.

One of my neighbours was in Japan working for a client (he's an IT expert of some sort). He was south of Tokyo. Came back and his apartment was just destroyed in terms of everything being knocked over, upside down, microwave broken etc.. Almost every one of his colleagues there lost relatives or have some missing. Just sad.

I think what's scary about Japan is that it's a developed nation that was hit so it hits home a little more than some of the other countries where we maybe expect the damage to be worse given the lack of building infrastructures/warning systems etc...

21. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Two reasons: 1) People like blood and 2) fresh news.

It is sad but unfortunately true...

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, Japan is calling in the French for help now, as they get ~70% of their power from nuclear.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think this is exactly it. There is nothing new (at least in the big picture) happening, and that's what the "news" is all about. At the moment Libya is an active civil war. There's a lot of pushing and shoving in both directions so there's a lot more to report on it.

Not like I agree with it. I'm keeping an ear to the ground for news from Japan and Libya just gets pumped through BBC News.

But not to worry in a few months we'll have the news channels reporting on the Royal Wedding 24/7, blech.

24. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Well, what news do you watch?

Nightly News keeps reporting on both Libya and Japan evenly

25. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko