Why is an iPhone a lousy iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Flynnstone, May 4, 2010.

1. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Does anyone else have this annoying problem:
    When I'm playing a playlist (on my iPhone 3G), I'll pause then do other stuff, Safari, Mail etc.
    When I come back to the iPod app, it's forgot it place.
    I then have to scroll to were I think it left off.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just tried this and on my iPhone 3G running 3.1.2 I cannot repeat the issue.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

This happens in *some* situations. I think it only happens when the iPod app itself has crashed/quit because of some memory thing. I think it happens when you play a game which requires the iPod to pause (like TapTap), but don't know about Apple's apps.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

When the iPod crashes ... not when you manually pause, go do other things, and then come back. This is not what the OP is talking about though.

6. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Similar.

Mine usually goes back to the start of the playlist.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I expect that it's probably the same root cause. I haven't actually had the problem in the last week or so, so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing differently.

8. theluker69 macrumors newbie

I have had that problem with my iPod touch actually. I dont consider it a problem though its not that inconvenient. Like said above it seems to occur when you stop to play a game. On the ipod you can double tap the home button and it displays a little now playing thing and that holds the place longer but I dont think it does that on an iphone. It take you to messages or something idk.

9. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I do get the occasional crash. Usually Safari.

I don't know the exact sequence to cause it to happen every time. (If I did, I should be on Apple's payroll!)
    But its some combination of jumping between apps/text messages/phone calls.
    Mine's not jail broken.
    I use it in the "it should just work" Apple paradigm mode.

(Mr. Jobs, please "arrange" to have this fixed in 4.0 ... please!)

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Mine can't figure out smart playlists for the life of me.

I have a smart playlist that should only play songs that have no rating. But when I listen to a song and rate it, it isn't removed from the playlist until I sync. I have another that is supposed to only play songs that have 0 play count. Even after I listen to the whole track, however, it isn't removed from the playlist either.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yup...ditto. Mine used to work fine, but this seems to have started recently. Annoying the crap out of me.

12. JonD25 macrumors 6502

Yup, I've had this issue for a while now.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=881393

I tend to use my phone a bit during my work day, but never to do anything intense like play a game. My theory is that maybe it's because sometimes I can go a few days without ever rebooting my phone and, for whatever reason, memory issues start to show up. I have no real definite proof of that being the cause. Just speculation on my part.

13. outphase macrumors 65816

Smart playlists are (finally) fixed in 4.0. I had "Recently Added" and "Most Played" which had some random set of 25 until the beta.

14. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

This is just random speculation, but is it possible that this is caused by your phone needing to free the RAM devoted to the iPod app? Especially with the lower RAM in the 3G.

15. JonD25 macrumors 6502

That was kinda what I was getting at. I don't know if any 3GS users have ever run into this problem or not.

16. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

It seems like my 3G isn't completely compatible with the latest firmware.

Is it too much to ask to get a free upgrade to an iPhone 4G turbo

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm. I have SBSettings on mine so I can periodically check and see whether the Music app is still running or not. Of course, the trick is remembering to check; there's no point in checking after the problem happens!

You might be on to something though; I have Videos, Mail, Safari and Music running and only have 11 MB free. I'm going to try loading a game and see what happens.

Edit: It's definitely quitting apps, because after loading and closing Final Fantasy, I now only have Mail running. It also jumped back to the beginning of the song! I think we've confirmed the cause :)

18. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

It looks like you're onto something.

I suspect no swapfile on the OS. Frees memory my killing oldest run app perhaps.

19. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

I seem to recall a hack (required jailbreaking of course) that enabled swapping in iPhone OS, but I can't find anything about it right now. Also I remember it being hideously unstable and slow and 100% not worth it, at least at the time.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have not noticed any sort of symptoms that you have documented. My iPod app on the iPhone works seamlessly and I've not noticed any problems or hiccups.

multitasking at its best :p

21. jayenh macrumors 6502a

i get similar to this all the time. i figured it was my fm transmitter though. i pretty much only use the ipod feature in my car, and whenever i unplug and plug it back in it just starts off somewhere completely different.

for example, i can be listening to a podcast, hoping that it will pick up where i left it when i plug back in, and instead when i hit play again i usually end up with the first track of what i can only assume is an album picked at random, because it never picks the same album twice in a row and it doesn't go down them in alphabetical order or something. it is really annoying, but i havent really taken any steps to look for a cure. i cant be bothered to do a restore and see if that fixes it.

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't see this in my device.

23. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

This is an issue on the iPad as well. It usually loses it's place when you navigate to any page that has youtube embed or youtube app itself.

It's really annoying, they should address it.