Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
It's prettier. The glass and metal build is LUXURY. I'm NOT here for the plastic stuff the lesser phones are trying to peddle me.

The screen is so crisp. Pictures are beautiful and text is so CRISP.

The camera is perfect (better than the Droid X according to numerous reviews).

I have a Mac and it syncs with my phone perfectly. And it's an iPod. That's worth it's weight in gold.

However, the iPhone jailbroken is a whole different experience on it's own. Without it, iOS is a snooze.

However, some of the newer Android phones are tempting.

I couldn't have said it better....

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
If someone that owns both can't provide an evaluation without being called biased, exactly what comparison would you consider valid?

The Samsung Vibrant user is just annoyed the OP didn't give a glowing opinion on Android.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Polish.

I had the first Moto Droid before I had ANY Apple product, except of course a iPod I rarely used. I had great fun rooting and customizing the Droid. But I always had issues, stock or rooted. I found the applicaitons lacked continuity. With it's "openness" comes lack of control. No two apps look alike, feel alike. Once I got my iPhone 4 I was hooked. As many here have said, it just works. Everything has polish and a ease of use. You really can see that iOS had a 3 year head start on Android. After the iPhone came my iMac, iPad, Apple TV and Air. The only thing better than a Apple product, is several Apple products. They way they work together, compliment each other, it's amazing.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
That article doesn't confirm the iPhone 4 has gorrilla glass. It just states its front panel is similar to the strength of gorrilla glass. Or am I missing something?

The article implies that it has Gorilla Glass, though I suppose that statement could be an innacurate assumption. In truth, Apple only confirms that the iPhone 4 has two Corning aluminosilucate glass panels (one for each side of the unit). But anyone who's paying attention knows that gorilla glass is another name for Corning's aluminosilucate glass.

Mactrillionaire

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
If you have to ask this question, just get an Android phone. For most, though, the obvious limitations of Android phones are a big turnoff to those who have used an iPhone for any appreciable period of time. Even the touch panels on Android phones are of much lower quality. So, if you like touch frustration, Android is probably your kind of phone.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Oy forget it. It was a serious question, for me.

I feel like every thread on this forum lately has remarks like this. And I'm sure someone will click the quote button to this exact reply and post yet another witty remark about why this isn't "thread worthy." I wish people would just move on from threads they don't have interest in.

I don't mean to offend, but honestly I was about to reply with said "witty remark". I will refrain from posting it, but I feel like if you really need to ask this question then you haven't done your homework.

It comes down to what suits the individual the best. There is no "perfect phone" IMO. Each platform has its pros & cons as does each Android device vs. the iPhone hardware. As another user posted, get your hands on an iPhone for a few minutes if you haven't already. Android has some cool phones and I like the platform. My guess is that if you already own an Android device and you're not "wow'd" by the iPhone in the first 15 minutes then you needn't apply.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
As some have said, this is quite a personal choice, like PC or MAC.

For me the bennefits of iPhone over Android are as follows:

1. Easier to use and more stable OS.
2. Better screen resolution.
3. Smaller and sleeker.
4. Faster availability of new apps (most programs have updates first for iOS), plus some apps not available on Android.
5. iTunes compatibility.
6. Syncs with Outlook on the PC. (Some Android include custom sync software, but there is no official sync software for Android).
7. Finally and my favorite, a consistent OS with no crapware or demos. Android manufacturers keep adding crappy launchers and unwanted software.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I just switched from Android to iPhone. before that I was carrying both an Android and iPod touch.

I see the following advantages:

• Much better integration with ipod functions and accessories. For example my car can control the songs using the steering wheel buttons. All videos pick up where I left off. TV shows sorted by show, episode, etc.
  • Availability of apps like netflix and hulu that are not available on android
  • Better camera
  • High resolution screen
  • Fluid and responsive UI
  • Battery Life
  • Multitasking. Yes, I think iPhone does it better. I can be navigating, playing music on pandora and surfing the web all at once.
  • Better voice recognition over bluetooth

Don't get me wrong, Android has advantages too. Just not ones that are important to me:
  • Mass Storage Device
  • Rooting is easier than Jailbreaking
  • Expandible memory (microSD)
  • Replacable Battery
  • Hardware keyboards available
  • Voice recognition in any text field
  • Google maps navigation is free

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Personally I find iOS kind of annoying compared to Android. Yes Iphone has more polish(which has NOTHING to do with how the device functions), yes the Iphone 4 is a sleek, "pretty" device(Which has NOTHING to do with function)... but iOs bothers the crap out of me on alot of things...

The fact that I need to input a password for every app I download, I can see the requirement on paid apps, but for free ones?? annoying

The fact that I have to be bounce out of the app store to see the app downlaoding on my home scree, who the f cares?? What if I want to download multiple apps, i have to go back and forth back and forth... its stupid.

The fact that there is no back button. One of the most annoying features... I am in my email app, then I want to open a link in youtube, youtube opens, I am done watching my video now i have to close the app and reopen email if I want to reply. If I had a back button, it would save me time. ANNOYING

The fact that app settings are not independent to apps... I mean seriously?

Notifications, not gonna beat a dead horse, but they are AWFUL.

no 3rd party app to app intergration...

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I know my personal feelings, but I'm wondering if there is anything I'm missing. I've always wanted an iPhone but I'm second guessing myself if it's necessary. I like my Droid X but an iPhone is very appealing so please, sell me :)

For me simple, I have Mac's at home and they communicate well with the iPhone but nothing else really. I also had been carrying around a PDA and a phone as well as an iPod Nano. Verizon at the time was pushing me away, they really had no compelling phones other than a Blackberry, and after watching my son and wife get the HTC Droid Eris and have issues, I decide it was time to make the move. I did, started with a 3G, then 3GS, now iP4 and I do not look back. Simple to use, very smooth, one device does it all for Music, Video, Web, Email (Work and Personal), Podcasts, photos, etc.

One device fit my needs so well, there was no reason to stay with VZ, besides AT&T is as good if not better in my area and I have traveled with my iphone's all over and have had good service.

The one compelling new phone would be the Motorola Atrix, because of it's ability, however the fact that Android OS doesn't play well with a Mac is a downfall of Android for me.

boca76

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
It's three things :
1. The general user experience is far better with the iPhone.
2. The touchscreen input (multi-touch) is much smoother and better with the iPhone.
3. The iPhone build quality and feel is miles ahead of any Android phone.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
The fact that there is no back button. One of the most annoying features... I am in my email app, then I want to open a link in youtube, youtube opens, I am done watching my video now i have to close the app and reopen email if I want to reply. If I had a back button, it would save me time. ANNOYING

I'm sort of new to iphone but I have noticed that sometimes when quitting an app, the app doesn't actually quit but the dock moves up. With a little trial and error i found it has to do with how you press the home button. Pressing it with a light, brief pressure does this. I can't always replicate this. It takes practice. Sometimes the app just quits.

Anyway the dock that moves up isn't the usual dock in the home screen. It has other apps in it. I do not know the rules but it seems to be recently or heavily used apps.

If your mail and youtube are on different screens and require motion to move from one to the other, this might be faster.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
As a newbie... (Just got my MBP two months ago), I am very interested in syncing all my data via Outlook. It's been a nightmare to try to mesh WindowsXP, a Droid Eris and Outlook... add a MBP to that and it ain't gonna happen.

That's really my main interest in moving to the Verizon Iphone.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
I'm sort of new to iphone but I have noticed that sometimes when quitting an app, the app doesn't actually quit but the dock moves up. With a little trial and error i found it has to do with how you press the home button. Pressing it with a light, brief pressure does this. I can't always replicate this. It takes practice. Sometimes the app just quits.

Anyway the dock that moves up isn't the usual dock in the home screen. It has other apps in it. I do not know the rules but it seems to be recently or heavily used apps.

If your mail and youtube are on different screens and require motion to move from one to the other, this might be faster.

What you are talking about is multitasking. You can bring up the dock with currently running apps by doubleclicking the Home button, single click gets you to the home screen. This has been one of the most documented and talked about features of iOS 4.

Here is the official page on Apple: http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/multitasking.html

iPadztr

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Pluto avenue
only one reason I like the iPhone: Stability.

Anyhow, this is how I look at it:

World of Warfcraft = iPhone (easy to use)
Other MMOs = Androids (complexity involved)

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Ip4 uses gorilla glass

Um, wrong!

From Apples site:

All the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass — the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains. Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever. It’s also recyclable.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I just switched from Android to iPhone. before that I was carrying both an Android and iPod touch.

I see the following advantages:

• Much better integration with ipod functions and accessories. For example my car can control the songs using the steering wheel buttons. All videos pick up where I left off. TV shows sorted by show, episode, etc.
  • Availability of apps like netflix and hulu that are not available on android
  • Better camera
  • High resolution screen
  • Fluid and responsive UI
  • Battery Life
  • Multitasking. Yes, I think iPhone does it better. I can be navigating, playing music on pandora and surfing the web all at once.
  • Better voice recognition over bluetooth

Don't get me wrong, Android has advantages too. Just not ones that are important to me:
  • Mass Storage Device
  • Rooting is easier than Jailbreaking
  • Expandible memory (microSD)
  • Replacable Battery
  • Hardware keyboards available
  • Voice recognition in any text field
  • Google maps navigation is free

Thanks.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
Personally I find iOS kind of annoying compared to Android. Yes Iphone has more polish(which has NOTHING to do with how the device functions), yes the Iphone 4 is a sleek, "pretty" device(Which has NOTHING to do with function)... but iOs bothers the crap out of me on alot of things...

The fact that I need to input a password for every app I download, I can see the requirement on paid apps, but for free ones?? annoying
Totally agree with that, altought I usually download apps in itunes that does remember the password.

The fact that I have to be bounce out of the app store to see the app downlaoding on my home scree, who the f cares?? What if I want to download multiple apps, i have to go back and forth back and forth... its stupid.
Again a temporary solution is to download the apps in itunes

Just doubleclick the home button, it will show all open apps so you can switch between them. It is explained in detail here http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/multitasking.html

The fact that app settings are not independent to apps... I mean seriously?
I don't get this one, all the apps I have used have independent settings.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I picked up the first iPhone in '07 (and every new one since) and was immediately able to use it without ever cracking a manual.

I picked up some random Samsung Android phone last year and couldn't even figure out how to get to the app icons from the main (?) screen. There were about 50 animated clocks and icons on the "main" screen that seemed to do nothing but spin and float around.

Nuff said.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
As some have said, this is quite a personal choice, like PC or MAC.

For me the bennefits of iPhone over Android are as follows:

1. Easier to use and more stable OS.
2. Better screen resolution.
3. Smaller and sleeker.
4. Faster availability of new apps (most programs have updates first for iOS), plus some apps not available on Android.
5. iTunes compatibility.
6. Syncs with Outlook on the PC. (Some Android include custom sync software, but there is no official sync software for Android).
7. Finally and my favorite, a consistent OS with no crapware or demos. Android manufacturers keep adding crappy launchers and unwanted software.

Exactly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.