Why is an iPhone better than an Android device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewart715, Jan 11, 2011.

1. stewart715 macrumors 6502

I know my personal feelings, but I'm wondering if there is anything I'm missing. I've always wanted an iPhone but I'm second guessing myself if it's necessary. I like my Droid X but an iPhone is very appealing so please, sell me :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why do some people like the colour yellow as opposed to blue? Why blond hair to brown hair? Its all personal preference. At that counts is that you like the device you have.

3. stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oy forget it. It was a serious question, for me.

I feel like every thread on this forum lately has remarks like this. And I'm sure someone will click the quote button to this exact reply and post yet another witty remark about why this isn't "thread worthy." I wish people would just move on from threads they don't have interest in.

4. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

It's iOS pretty much (which is kinda sub-par to android 2.3-3.0)

But the main reason people get it is cause it's apple.. and maybe the display. The only reason I would get one is cause of the Ipod.. I don't like carrying 2-3 device on me.. kinda redundant

5. shadrap macrumors 6502

Android is good if you like to customize the phone, but you will sacrifice the smoothness and the it just works factor.

I went from iPhone 4 to HTC Evo because of networks. Now that the iPhone is coming to Verizon, I am going back to iPhone. I like the it just works factor better.

Some don't like being locked down. Some just picked what they thought was second best. To each ther own.

6. uniforms macrumors regular

I have had an iPhone since the first one. And have had every new one after. I did try a droid when I was having blue tooth problems three months ago. I found the droid lacked the ease of use and simplicity. To get to something I had to dig dig dig, and with iPhone, I just press a button. There is just something about the iPhone, experiencing it will make you a believer as well.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I haven't used an Android phone, so I don't know how much help I can be. But as far as why I like iOS, it just works. Yes, there are probably Android features that I might like. I can't tell you any, but that's quite likely. But I can tell you that aside from that antenna thing and the need to power cycle my phone once, I haven't had trouble with any of my iPhones.

I have seen the hell of using Windows, an OS based on 15,000 different combinations of hardware. It's not good. Some people like the more "open" stuff like Android and Windows. I've had enough years of trying to learn how to fix things. If it just works, count me in. My Apple stuff has by far been more reliable than my PC stuff, so don't count on me switching.

8. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

What you could do is go down to your carrier's local store and play with the iPhone and an Android device, repeat for a couple of days, and decide what you like best.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Depends who you ask (some like the JD914, maflynn swear by Android). I personally prefer iOS because it has overall 'polish', i don't have to think too much (turn to my geeky side) to figure out stuff/get things done compared to some other platforms. Also, the quality of apps is often (not always) better.

Then there's the support in general, timely firmware updates, Applecare support, app updates etc

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That was my main reason for wanting the original iPhone. I had an iPod, I had a Motorola Razr phone. I hated carrying two devices. I really didn't care about all the Internet connectivity back then, but I thought it was neat when I tried it at an Apple Store. Then the App Store came along and made the thing a tiny computer. It has evolved into something so powerful yet useful that my mom uses one.

11. Infraggable Kru, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

I agree "polish" is the best way to describe it
    iOS offers a very fluid and consistent experience. this is why it's easy to navigate, from the first iphone-> iphone 4 but also why people feel the need to jailbreak to add different fonts, styles, hacks, etc

the menus look the same, the colors look the same, the fonts, etc so it makes the phone + apps feel like everything was made to function together

for example all drop down menus offer a rolling dial vs a list showing everything

I enjoy the OS , but jailbreak for additional options I want, so it's the best of both worlds

I could care less that it's an apple product, that's a sign of being superficial or being a fanboy

12. yodaxl7, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Check it out at the apple store and you will see why. It is like any product that is the original! Example, Coke. It taste great! Immitation or competition to that failed. Some do like RC cola, but it is not that popular. Android is an imitation to the original! Android phones were something people settle for because they have bad ATT coverage. Newer android phones have great hardware, but the os is not quite there. Since iPhone is now available on Verizon, users have the original as a choice. Android is good alternative, but it is not the original (the iPhone)! Once you are happy with an iPhone, why would you consider leaving.

another example, original masterpiece artwork. A duplicate to that piece, sure it almost look the same, but it is not! When copy something, you don't get everything right.

13. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

14. zipster macrumors 6502

It's prettier. The glass and metal build is LUXURY. I'm NOT here for the plastic stuff the lesser phones are trying to peddle me.

The screen is so crisp. Pictures are beautiful and text is so CRISP.

The camera is perfect (better than the Droid X according to numerous reviews).

I have a Mac and it syncs with my phone perfectly. And it's an iPod. That's worth it's weight in gold.

However, the iPhone jailbroken is a whole different experience on it's own. Without it, iOS is a snooze.

However, some of the newer Android phones are tempting.

15. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Android is great, but I personally like how everything is somehow fluent and well done by Apple, everything is thought twice before released, like multitasking, I personally like how multitasking was done in iOS (Fast-app switch) it preserves battery life and works great.

I like how the hardware and the software work together to make a perfect combination, because some times Android is a bit fragmented (i'm not trying to make controversy it's just different when you make apps for many devices other than iPhones and iPods)

On the other hand, if you like to mess around with your phone and add weird stuff, Android is much more flexible with that, for example Adobe flash. I personally don't want flash in my phone, but many people find it attractive, so in Android you can while iOS is somehow more closed and doesn't let you view flash stuff.

I don't like the whole widget stuff in Android, it looks too invasive, but well, I hate widgets at my Mac also.

But in the end it's just what you like most, I find them both great OS and way beyond others.

16. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

17. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I had a Samsung Galaxy before the iPhone and I can tell you that I like the iPhone way better for these reasons

1. The iPhone feels like a better constructed phone.

2. I have a MacBook Pro so I can sync more things with the iPhone than the Samsung (android)

3. The app store simply rules

4. The iPhone's OS is lovely...

5. The iPhone's price is always the same so I won't hang my self in a tree when I see my exact phone $100 cheaper a few months after I bought mine.

Those are the main things I can think of now

18. firewood macrumors 604

Better depends on the very different preferences of each user. But for me:

Retina display.
    More accurate touch interface with smoother animation of the UI.
    Antenna (worse in some ways, but actually better in some areas if you "hold different").
    More accessories (due to less device model fragmentation).

More secure OS.

More than twice as many apps to choose from.
    Better App store interface.
    Better app compatibility (due to less device and OS version fragmentation).
    Generally higher quality audio and music apps.

If you are a developer, the average iPhone user spends significantly more on apps than the average Android user, thus greatly increasing the revenue opportunity (at least for now). Plus your apps can also sell into the huge iPod Touch and iPad markets.

19. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I couldn't say which OS is better.. both seem to be doing fine in the market so obviously both are good.

However, to me what sets Apple iphone apart from the rest is the build quality and detail in such a precise instrument. The materials used to build the iphone is outstanding.

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

That china doll glass on the iP4 is not better than the gorilla glass.

21. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I'll break it down.
    iPhone:
    • Awesome build quality
    • App Store. Really nothing compares to it.
    • Uniformity. There's just one kind of phone, more or less. So everything just works.
    • Lack of customization is a drag, but at the same time lack of customization isn't bogging down the system
    • Tight OS/Hardware integration assures that you get the best User Experience.
    Android:
    • Variety of phones, most are made of plastic.
    • For those cheap phones or the buy one get one free, you get what you're paying for. If you want quality, you need to spend as much, or more than the iPhone.
    • The OS is fun, but clearly designed by and for Windows and Linux users who like to get their fingers in everything, no matter how convoluted it is.
    • you can customize the interface at the cost of performance.
    • Fragmentation, some apps will refuse to work on some phones or they won't work as expected.
    • You're not completely dependent on the Android market for your apps, but you install apps at your own risk.

It may sound bias, but I am speaking from experience with both phones in my hand.

22. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Ip4 uses gorilla glass

23. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

MAY sound biased? :rolleyes:

24. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Um, wrong!

25. aneftp macrumors 68040

I have owned all 4 versions of the iphone.

I have also owned the original Google Android phone G1, mytouch 3g, Samsung Galaxy Vibrant.

Unless you own a pure Android phone (G1, Nexus One, Nexus S), expect fragmentation where you may or maynot get the lastest updates from Google. You are so dependent on the manufactures and carriers to update the phones.

Only the "official pure Google phones" will ever get timely updates.

Samsung is the poster child for "fragmentation" It's been freaking over 6 months and users are still stuck at Android 2.1 and Android is currently on 2.3 Gingerbread.

Just imagine iPhone 3GS users being stuck at iOS 3.13 while only the iPhone 4 users got iOS4.0. And the sad thing about it is that the Galaxy S is the "flagship phone" of Samsung when it was released and that's the type of support Samsung gives their customers.

With Apple you know (at least for two generations of iPhones), your phones will always get the lastest updates in software at the same time.

Games: Android has a huge problem because it's so easy to NOT pay for games and it's a big turn off for big developers like Gameloft/EA/Sega etc.

With the iPhone's app store, you have access to much more high quality games than Android.

As for UI, it's really a matter of personal preferences. Android 2.3 has really caught up to iOS4....but iOS still feels much smoother.

As for iPhone being a "closed system" and Android being an "open system" That may not necessarily be all true. Carriers "lock" down Android to their best interest. Example: bing.com is the default search engine on Verizon's Samsung Galaxy S phone!!! Just imagine that. You really have to root Android phones to get full use of it. And people complain about Apple and having to jailbreak the iPhone.

But to each their own.

I have multiple personalities. Have owned S60, Android, RIM BB, and iOS devices. I dumped my Android and S60. Still using my BB (for business/international travel/UMA( and iPhone 4 (my fun phone)