Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soordhin

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Apparently there are enough users out there like me that haven't used ports in the last few years and can easily live on one port. There are enough cloud services including easy to set up personal ones that allow sharing data, not to mention the apple only stuff like airdrop.

And what i would use a port for? Our beamers for presentations use a wireless connection, my fullframe camera bodies have wifi build in. Data is shared via several different cloud services. Leaves charging my rMB, which is sadly still not wireless and charging my iPhone, for which i usually carry a charger anyway and charge it over night.

Anyway, whoever needs more power, more ports or a better battery life can choose from quite a few other different apple products and an endless lineup of windows machines.

Reactions: theSeb

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Too bad Apple didn't include an induction charging area for the Macbook. I would be able to use my Apple Watch charger and charge it. Someone trips over the cable? No problem.

josephkrishna

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I have a MacBook Air full of ports I never use. The only ports I use are for charging and headphones. Wireless is so much easier and simpler to live with. New laptops and devices don't need ports, this isn't a design compromise, it is a logical choice to make the product better overall.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
I think if you HAD ports you would use them. Not much choice for you anymore.
Last time I checked my rMBP had 2 USBs, 2 TBs, HDMI and SD card slot. I just don't use them. I could easily live with only one port dedicated for mostly charging my device.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Even if we don't do away with wires entirely, I feel that there is a certain elegance in at least being able to minimise the number of cables we need to connect to a device at any one time.

For example, with that new $79 USB-C adaptor, we need only one cable to hook up the Macbook to an external display, power and another USB hub. Granted, the other end is connected to 6-7 other wires, but these are cables you never need to unplug.

Only Apple can make people care about this sort of thing and care enough to influence their purchasing decisions, imo.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Change your workflow. Manage without it. Adapt. You shouldn't be using *insert feature here* anymore.

Do you guys hear yourselves? Only Apple could make you believe that THIS is the laptop you wanted.

I swear, Apple will end up ruling the world one day.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
The simple answer is that it appeals to more.

The bitter answer would be that connectivity and especially expandability have no place in a world where all social media fiends care about is not having to carry around anything that weighs more than one pound and are willing to spend $1000-$1300 on checking their e-mail and updating a status, which a $150 Chromebook could accomplish.

In other words, look at how sleek and thin my Mac is! and the 400 adapters I also have if I want to get more work done which completely breaks an ultrabook even in terms of portability.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Change your workflow. Manage without it. Adapt. You shouldn't be using *insert feature here* anymore.

Do you guys hear yourselves? Only Apple could make you believe that THIS is the laptop you wanted.

What bothers me with this attitude is that it's utterly pointless.

Yes, you should change your workflow to match current technologies. I honestly hate when people get stuck to past technologies just because they have always done so and they still can.

And yes, you certainly shouldn't use some old features anymore because there are better, faster and more convenient alternatives.

Things that cringe me the most are when people ask for USB thumb drive or CD. Seriously? If you want to share a file with me use a freaking Dropbox or Google Drive. I won't adapt to the past just because some people are too stubborn to adapt to modern technologies.

Not to mention when people ask or generally use wires and dongles. Why? You can do everything wirelessly. Why in earth would you want to use wires and dongles to connect things to your device except for charging?

See, this works other way around too.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

And I will be there to roll out the red carpet when they do.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I don't get it. I like my ports, I don't like hauling around a variety of add-ons. I bugs me enough to have to carry a DVD drive. And yes I still need it from time to time. But has I've weaned myself away from the DVD to the Mini SD cards. Now with the new Air and just one port. I just don't get the marketing for One port? Come On.

They aren't against ports, they are all about providing appropriate ports for the device. This is a very thin light laptop designed to be used as such with no real wired connectivity. If that is not to your liking the rMBP is similarly priced and has ports galore and much better performance.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
When you look more closely at the design, the side to side keyboard without overhang makes it impossible to have any ports on the sides without the plugs penetrating the keys mechanism. That one usb-c port and headphone jack, are both in the small available space in the corners 'above' the keyboard.
If that's the case, I'd rather have two USB-C ports, one on each side. I use wireless headphones. Wired headphones are old school technology. And if you need a wired headphone, then there's a USB-C to audio out dongle.

One USB-C connector without MagSafe is a recipe for damaging the port if someone trips over your cable at the coffee house. At a minimum, it should be there for redundancy. And where are those people going to keep all their photos, and access them, once the internal drive fills up? On the cloud? What happens if there's no internet access? Even people who use the cloud store their precious photos and videos on local external drives. And when someone watches movies, or working with photos on those drives, it would be convenient to keep the MacBook plugged in, if for no other reason than to make sure it's charged up when ready to hit the road.

Last edited:

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
If that's the case, I'd rather have two USB-C ports, one on each side. I use wireless headphones. Wired headphones are old school technology. And if you need a wired headphone, then there's a USB-C to audio out dongle.

One USB-C connector without MagSafe is a recipe for damaging the port if someone trips over your cable at the coffee house. At a minimum, it should be there for redundancy. And where are those people going to keep all their photos, and access them, once the internal drive fills up? On the cloud? What happens if there's no internet access? Even people who use the cloud store their precious photos and videos on local external drives. And when someone watches movies, or working with photos on those drives, it would be convenient to keep the MacBook plugged in, if for no other reason than to make sure it's charged up when ready to hit the road.
It's not just an audio jack. It's an optical out as well.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
There is only one laptop out of the whole Apple notebook range that has just one port on the device, not sure whether the word "obsessed" is right unless they start removing ports from the pro and air range, which they won't!

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What bothers me with this attitude is that it's utterly pointless.

Yes, you should change your workflow to match current technologies. I honestly hate when people get stuck to past technologies just because they have always done so and they still can.

And yes, you certainly shouldn't use some old features anymore because there are better, faster and more convenient alternatives.

Things that cringe me the most are when people ask for USB thumb drive or CD. Seriously? If you want to share a file with me use a freaking Dropbox or Google Drive. I won't adapt to the past just because some people are too stubborn to adapt to modern technologies.

Not to mention when people ask or generally use wires and dongles. Why? You can do everything wirelessly. Why in earth would you want to use wires and dongles to connect things to your device except for charging?

See, this works other way around too.

You feel its utterly pointless because you are using your usage as the standard. If you stand back and look at it objectively you'll find things like a USB thumb drives, ports for connecting external displays (and/or the use of dongles) are invaluable for education (students and teachers) and on a professional level especially for editors of all varieties.

There is still a good reason Apples notebook with all the ports and features is called PRO.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
There is only one laptop out of the whole Apple notebook range that has just one port on the device, not sure whether the word "obsessed" is right unless they start removing ports from the pro and air range, which they won't!

Agreed, I wouldn't read too much into it until ports start disappearing from other models as well.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden

And your post makes the assumption that the rMB is being used as a primary or sole computer - which is not its strong suit. Its not meant to be a desktop replacement, home media server plugged in at a desk to a bunch of external drives and multiple displays. Its meant to be lightweight and portable, following you around to the couch and bed, train and airplane, client to client, meeting room to meeting room, city to city, etc etc.

Also can't remember the last time I saw a laptop actually plugged in at the coffee shop. Are you thaaat one guy/girl that does do this, and inconsiderately does it in a place where the rest of the patrons have to watch where they are walking and step over your cord? That's 100% on you then, MagSafe or not.

I don't get that the discussion with the rMB always gets directed towards use cases that in best case don't hold with this device's ethos of an ultraportable on the go secondary or specific purpose machine, and in the worst case appear to be intentionally overblown or inappropriate. Everyone is acting like Apple debuted the one port phenomenon on the meat and potatoes rMBP, or Retina iMac, it is weird.

Your photos (and entire media library, as well as critical important docs) should be in the cloud with some service, be it iCloud, OneDrive, Dropbox, or whatever, with a physical backup on an external HDD somewhere in your home that is either networked to or directly connected to a stationary media server that is either a NAS or a dedicated immobile desktop solution, whether that is a hand-me down old mac mini, or a 2015 "Ultimate" 5k iMac, matters little.

If you want local storage that syncs with your secondary mobile devices like the rMB, iPad, and iPhone, you should know that Dropbox at least stores locally and syncs changes when connected. So if you want specific files or media for a trip or a meeting at a place you know you won't have a solid connection, copy it to your Dropbox folder and make sure things are synced up before you leave, and you're good to go.

Want to share a file? Copy it to Dropbox and share the link via sms, iMessage, email, Skype, etc. and the recipient can get it just like that. Can be done from your Phone or tablet as well, don't even need to touch the rMB.

Also, what's wrong with wireless drives? Have them for bluetooth and Wifi. More than one computer can access them at a time as well on many newer models. Understood that for professional audio and video work the speeds just aren't there, but for everyday use in the office or at meetings, etc. what a great solution, much more elegant than passing around a dongle. This option even works in the very rare case that there is no wifi or cellular connection, because you can use your laptop to create an adhoc wifi network those around you can connect to, along with the drive.

When people say, "adjust your workflow, change the way you do things" etc, it isn't meant to say a person has to make compromises. In most cases these new solutions actually are more efficient and improve workflows and productivity. Doing something a certain way just because it is the way one has always done it is not a good reason to keep doing it that way. Technology moves and in general gets better, not worse.

This should not degenerate into a discussion about whether wireless or wired connections are better or worse. Nor should it degenerate into a discussion about how the rMB is not a good desktop replacement because it takes a bunch of adapters to hook it up to your 2 external displays and multiple external drives. We know that already. We also know that this is not what the rMB is for, so the fact that it is not good at it is not only readily condeded, but also readily dismissed as irrelevant. The rMB is not for you if that is the planned use case.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
There is still a good reason Apples notebook with all the ports and features is called PRO.
Exactly. There is also a good reason the rMB is NOT called the 12" rMBP. Because it isn't meant to be used in the same way, and shouldn't be compared as such.

So if in 2016 a laptop from Apple comes along with only one port that has the rMBP moniker (don't worry, it won't happen, there will be at least two TB3/USB-C ports ;)), then we can have this explosion of outrage. Until then, the rMB is not meant to be an rMBP replacement, and those that are complaining about it not being one are simply not making any sense.

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Also can't remember the last time I saw a laptop actually plugged in at the coffee shop. Are you thaaat one guy/girl that does do this, and inconsiderately does it in a place where the rest of the patrons have to watch where they are walking and step over your cord? That's 100% on you then, MagSafe or not.

The Starbucks locations and a couple of the locally owned coffee shops around here place outlets, one per table, along the wall or under the seat (for the bench style seating some of the starbucks locations have) for people to plug into. Granted, in that case the cable isn't exposed for people to trip over, but it isn't uncommon to see people plugging their laptops into outlets.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
The Starbucks locations and a couple of the locally owned coffee shops around here place outlets, one per table, along the wall or under the seat (for the bench style seating some of the starbucks locations have) for people to plug into. Granted, in that case the cable isn't exposed for people to trip over, but it isn't uncommon to see people plugging their laptops into outlets.

And it's not just Starbucks, it's Airports, Libraries, the kitchen table, the coffee table, etc. Until the battery life is such that a laptop can play movies for 8 hours straight, people are going to need to plug them into something if they fail to adequately charge it for travel.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
And your post makes the assumption that the rMB is being used as a primary or sole computer - which is not its strong suit. Its not meant to be a desktop replacement, home media server plugged in at a desk to a bunch of external drives and multiple displays.

Also, what's wrong with wireless drives? This should not degenerate into a discussion about whether wireless or wired connections are better or worse.

I actually think a desktop replacement is the best case scenario for this MacBook. I love that with one cable I can plug in entire desktop computer. It's finally almost as perfect as my 1995 PowerBook Duo, which had essentially ONE port. It's the traveling part that becomes an issue. It's bad enough people have to carry a bunch of chargers with them, a lightning cable, a watch cable, a USB-C cable, maybe even a 30-pin cable, but now to be prepared for anything, a whole bag of dongles for the MacBook. That's as bad as my PowerBook Duo for which I had to carry around various port adapters and accessories for it's one port when I traveled. Apple has already tried this experiment.

Now wireless does change that equation over my experience in 1995. However, there are pitfalls with wireless -- not having access to a reliable internet connection for one. A wireless peripheral means powering it. So that means carrying around even more charging cables. So to be prepared for anything, a MacBook user will need a bag full of gear in addition to their light and portable MacBook. And connecting wireless peripherals isn't that easy. Typically you need special software to connect them, or the MacBook has to be reconfigured as a router, which sacrifices internet connectivity. And yes, files can be passed around via DropBox, or stored in iCloud assuming you have an internet signal to support it, but most wireless internet signals are incredibly slow. When I perform a complete back up my 500gb HD on my MacBook Pro to my TimeCapsule via WiFi, it takes a day. When I back it up via Ethernet, it's a matter of a few hours. So I don't really understand how you can say we shouldn't discuss which is better, wireless or wired. Clearly there are all kinds of issues that make one a better choice over the other. So when a MacBook user does need access to wires, with the MacBook they will likely need special dongles, docks, or hubs.

In the end, why have any ports at all then? Wireless can do everything such people need. Just stick an inductive charging port on it, and let it charge over night with your Watch. I never plug my iPad into anything except to charge it. And isn't this targeted to the same crowd? Just force people down the same path and accept the limitations of wireless technology. Clearly this is not a laptop meant to be taken camping in a National Park where there is no internet service, but one meant for the urban traveler who will always have a wireless connection, and have access to any content they need, so no need for any ports. Until you do need one. And in that case, why not two to make the MacBook as versatile as possible? Do I need a MacBook Pro? No. Only in the sense that I need to plug things into ports. I don't mind the Ethernet dongle, as I rarely use it, and can generally leave it connected to the cable anyway. But I do plug things into my USB and Thunderbolt ports. I rarely use the audio output, so a dongle would be fine for me there as well. And I love that I can leave the MacBook plugged into power, and add and remove external devices without the need for a dongle, extra power sources, or some kind of hub. But instead of encouraging customers to accept less and move into a direction Apple would prefer, they're making the jump difficult.

They've taken away magsafe which has saved my MacBook on more than one occasion, and makes connecting just power only a piece of cake (which is 90% of the time). They've already forced the use of dongles with USB-C since most people don't own compatible devices, and new technology is currently expensive. So now they're forcing even more dongles. I've always been an early adopter, the Duo with essentially one proprietary port, the iMac with no floppy drive, the PowerBook without SCSI, the MacBook without a CD drive. But one port? It makes no sense for all the reasons I've stated, even if you accept the user is predominately going to rely essentially on wireless connectivity. Trading ultra portability for a bag of charging cables and dongles "just in case" is a poor way to advance the cause. The MacBook weighs slightly less than the MacBook Air, the 11" of which actually has a smaller footprint, costs less, and has a full compliment of ports. It would seem that the distinction, which Apple will likely never enhance to push the new MacBook, is the retina display. For now, anyone I've tried to pitch the new MacBook, has always rethought the proposition after being initially excited, once they discover they will need a bag of expensive dongles even to insert one USB flash drive while plugged into power. Then they do a quick comparison and, retina display aside, realize they will get a lot more for their money with the Air, even if they never use the built-in functionality. So I don't really understand this from a financial position either. Then again, it's the only MacBook that comes in gold, so perhaps on that basis alone Apple made the right decision.

Are you sure about this?
Whether it's an optical output or not, it's the same solution, a dongle, just like everything else you have to plug into this laptop. Since the argument is for an all wireless experience, for which you will never plug anything into the one USB-C port (it's there "just in case"), it makes just as much sense to eliminate this port as well.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I actually think a desktop replacement is the best case scenario for this MacBook. I love that with one cable I can plug in entire desktop computer. It's finally almost as perfect as my 1995 PowerBook Duo, which had essentially ONE port. It's the traveling part that becomes an issue. It's bad enough people have to carry a bunch of chargers with them, a lightning cable, a watch cable, a USB-C cable, maybe even a 30-pin cable, but now to be prepared for anything, a whole bag of dongles for the MacBook. That's as bad as my PowerBook Duo for which I had to carry around various port adapters and accessories for it's one port when I traveled. Apple has already tried this experiment.

Now wireless does change that equation over my experience in 1995. However, there are pitfalls with wireless -- not having access to a reliable internet connection for one. A wireless peripheral means powering it. So that means carrying around even more charging cables. So to be prepared for anything, a MacBook user will need a bag full of gear in addition to their light and portable MacBook. And connecting wireless peripherals isn't that easy. Typically you need special software to connect them, or the MacBook has to be reconfigured as a router, which sacrifices internet connectivity. And yes, files can be passed around via DropBox, or stored in iCloud assuming you have an internet signal to support it, but most wireless internet signals are incredibly slow. When I perform a complete back up my 500gb HD on my MacBook Pro to my TimeCapsule via WiFi, it takes a day. When I back it up via Ethernet, it's a matter of a few hours. So I don't really understand how you can say we shouldn't discuss which is better, wireless or wired. Clearly there are all kinds of issues that make one a better choice over the other. So when a MacBook user does need access to wires, with the MacBook they will likely need special dongles, docks, or hubs.

In the end, why have any ports at all then? Wireless can do everything such people need. Just stick an inductive charging port on it, and let it charge over night with your Watch. I never plug my iPad into anything except to charge it. And isn't this targeted to the same crowd? Just force people down the same path and accept the limitations of wireless technology. Clearly this is not a laptop meant to be taken camping in a National Park where there is no internet service, but one meant for the urban traveler who will always have a wireless connection, and have access to any content they need, so no need for any ports. Until you do need one. And in that case, why not two to make the MacBook as versatile as possible? Do I need a MacBook Pro? No. Only in the sense that I need to plug things into ports. I don't mind the Ethernet dongle, as I rarely use it, and can generally leave it connected to the cable anyway. But I do plug things into my USB and Thunderbolt ports. I rarely use the audio output, so a dongle would be fine for me there as well. And I love that I can leave the MacBook plugged into power, and add and remove external devices without the need for a dongle, extra power sources, or some kind of hub. But instead of encouraging customers to accept less and move into a direction Apple would prefer, they're making the jump difficult.

They've taken away magsafe which has saved my MacBook on more than one occasion, and makes connecting just power only a piece of cake (which is 90% of the time). They've already forced the use of dongles with USB-C since most people don't own compatible devices, and new technology is currently expensive. So now they're forcing even more dongles. I've always been an early adopter, the Duo with essentially one proprietary port, the iMac with no floppy drive, the PowerBook without SCSI, the MacBook without a CD drive. But one port? It makes no sense for all the reasons I've stated, even if you accept the user is predominately going to rely essentially on wireless connectivity. Trading ultra portability for a bag of charging cables and dongles "just in case" is a poor way to advance the cause. The MacBook weighs slightly less than the MacBook Air, the 11" of which actually has a smaller footprint, costs less, and has a full compliment of ports. It would seem that the distinction, which Apple will likely never enhance to push the new MacBook, is the retina display. For now, anyone I've tried to pitch the new MacBook, has always rethought the proposition after being initially excited, once they discover they will need a bag of expensive dongles even to insert one USB flash drive while plugged into power. Then they do a quick comparison and, retina display aside, realize they will get a lot more for their money with the Air, even if they never use the built-in functionality. So I don't really understand this from a financial position either. Then again, it's the only MacBook that comes in gold, so perhaps on that basis alone Apple made the right decision.

Whether it's an optical output or not, it's the same solution, a dongle, just like everything else you have to plug into this laptop. Since the argument is for an all wireless experience, for which you will never plug anything into the one USB-C port (it's there "just in case"), it makes just as much sense to eliminate this port as well.
What adapters do you have for you rMB that you carry around? How many charging cables and power bricks? Here's my two bags:

2011 11" MBA + iPad Air 2 + iPhone 6 Plus
  • MBA Charger Brick w/charger cable
  • iPhone charger Brick (backup)
  • 2 Lightning/USB-A Cables
  • TB/Ethernet Adapter
  • TB/HDMI Adapter
  • 16GB USB-A nub drive
2015 12" rMB + iPad mini 3 + iPhone 6
  • iPad Charger Brick w/USB-A Charging Cable
  • iPhone Charger Brick (backup)
  • 2 Lightning/USB-A Cables
  • USB-C/3 USB-A + Ethernet Adapter
  • Apple USB-C to multiport HDMI Adapter
  • 16GB USB-A nub drive
Weird. The exact same number of cables and adapters. Guess which setup is less cumbersome, lighter and actually provides access to more wired ports in total? Indeed, with the new setup I can charge all three devices simultaneously and use the nub drive if needed! Couldn't do that with the old setup.

Regarding the Time Machine backup example - It is all done wirelessly in my house, and only the initial backup takes that long, every additional backup only takes a few minutes over a regular home wireless network. Why would you regularly be doing a backup from scratch?

Yes, there are a lot of places where wireless or cellular are not really options. I am of the opinion that in most of those places it is not, you aren't really looking to share data with someone else or transfer it to another computer or drive anyway. Of course there are isolated situations, I have been in them, and thats why I have a little 16GB nub drive that probably weighs in at less than 5 grams.

I further assert that the average person needs approximately the same amount of adapters for a MBA as they would need for a rMB and only circa 1 more on average than they already would be carrying with a rMBP. You make up that difference by carrying a much smaller, less cumbersome power brick, and possibly fewer of them as well, as you could just carry an iPad brick instead to serve all your devices.

I maintain that wireless is a good solution for the vast majority of consumer and business office situations, but as you can see, I also assert that the one port situation is completely overblown, even if you don't buy into the whole wireless is ready for prime time thing, and still lean primarily on wired connectivity.

Last edited:

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
And where are those people going to keep all their photos, and access them, once the internal drive fills up? On the cloud?

I store all my photos on my iMac and my NAS. No need for USB-drives. Also a lot of people will store all their photos in the cloud, thanks to services like Apple Photos and Google Photos.

If I needed to store all my photos on the Macbook, I would just get the 512 SSD edition.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010

Your problem is that you are using USB drives!! Why?
The Macbook is geared to those who do not need USB drives but can use a wireless solution instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.