Why is Apple geting nailed for this issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfan881, Jun 29, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

This is what I'm trying to figure out why is Apple getting hammerd over some lilttle issue when other companys have had sever issues and got a virtualy a pass

I mean take a look at MS and the 360 a system that still suffering since the console is relased a flaw that has ridiculed them ms has basicly nothing except for after 2 years extending there warranty for the issue yet people still go out and buy 360's even after there warranty's are over.

I just find it funny that people get so worked up about something thats been a issue for 3 days but yet something like the Xbox and the RROD have been a issue since it was released.

2. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Partly because Apple made such a big deal about the improvement of the antenna this time around.

Partly because it is a phone, and in its current state, there are many users who are having trouble using it as a PHONE.

Partly because the iPhone defines some people's lives, so the fact that it could be flawed exposes the existential notion that they themselves could also be flawed.

And lastly, because people's sense of entitlement seems to grow every year.

3. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I don't follow what you are saying. MS got hammered over the RROD issue. That is why they had to extend the warranties to allow free replacement. Last I checked a gaming console wasn't nearly as important to the majority of people's lives like a mobile phone is, btw. What you are saying would only be comparable if the 360's that were shipped didn't play games because of a hardware issue.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's such a basic problem. A phone that doesn't work when you hold it in one of two hands that people have?

Sure other products have issues, but they aren't this obvious.

5. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

You better crawl out from under that rock you've been hiding.

MS was hammered with bad PR for that issue. Hell, they redesigned the console.

Which is more than can be said for Apple.

6. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

I can live with my game console needing repairs under a 3 year warranty. I cant live with my phone....well not working as a phone. Apple will fix this or they will need to rename this ipod touch HD.

7. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I don't remember HTC getting nailed over the issue with Nexus one was having problems with the 3G radio. And not to mention the many Quality control issues that various blackberry models have had.

8. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

or how about dont carry it in your pocket issue :p

9. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Apple may be what you called being hammered, but don't hold your breath for a fix.

This IMO will be swept under the rug like the iPad wifi issue- remember that one... fix right around the corner eh.

10. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

There's something called raising the bar and living to its expectations.
    Promising moon in backyard wont do anymore

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Well...an Xbox with a RROD doesn't play games...in fact it doesn't do anything and it was a hardware issue.

Mine got it and I shipped it back, the whole process took around a month and a half, but it was a gaming console so not that essential to daily function.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Because there have probably been 2 million sold at this point, so you have alot of users with problems right out the gate, where with the nexus 1, I doubt they have even sold one quarter of what the iPhone has sold.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well i spent over 300 for a phone that cant keep a decent signal

thats why they should be nailed

14. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

That doesn't make sense. Because if you look at the total amount of iPhone users who are having the issues then it would amount to less than those who purchased the Nexus one.

The problem with this issue is that irrational people are under the impression that millions of people are experiencing this problem. When in reality it's a small segment of users that equal to less than who have the N1.

Yet people sing HTC praises.

15. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

HTC doesn't have a CEO that makes grand displays of every new "magical" thing they create, either. Nor does HTC (or any other company) profess their products as "the best ever" or even "magical" for that matter.

People go after Apple because they breed elitism which needs to stop. Nothing Apple has ever manufactured in its entire lifetime has been "the best ever" - good, sometimes great, but "best ever"? Not once.

"Best" is a dangerous word because when it comes to devices where personal choice and opinions determine the marketability, "best" only applies on an individual basis when an educated consumer can say "Ok, that's the best one for me" because there can be no "best" of anything for every single person.

Steve Jobs isn't a messiah, he's just a guy with an overblown ego and Titan-complex - Titans were more powerful than Gods as the myth goes... Jobs gave up on trying to be a God years ago, now he's graduated to full-blown Titan status.

"Just avoid holding it in that way."

Sure thing, Steve, as soon as you show me that you yourself don't hold it in the same way that I and pretty much everyone else does, including the hand models in your own iPhone 4 marketing materials 'cause I damned well know exactly how you hold it - you've held every iPhone the same exact way since the first one was introduced in 2007.

Sorry, I just kneecapped a Titan... feels good man. ;)

16. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

That's because it's expected for HTC to have issues, what HTC phone has worked right out of the box? Not one I've had..

The issue here is that Apple has had such a bright and positive reputation that when there is a problem people jump on it, as you know people have been looking for reasons to hate the iphone since it came out...

17. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

OMG, IF MY SIGNAL DOESNT EXIST, DO I EVEN EXIST?

18. zoman504 macrumors regular

Yep, all of us that shelled out $600 for an iPhone 4 are just looking for a reason to hate it. Especially those of us who own multiple Apple products and have been loyal customers for awhile. :rolleyes:

19. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Actually, you can live w/o a phone. It would make things more difficult, but a phone is not a necessity.

To the OP, MS got ridiculed into the ground over the RROD issue. When they extended the warranty and set up the whole RROD replacement program, MS estimated its losses at over $1 billion. Apple has given out probably 100-200 free bumpers, totaling a couple thousand dollars.

I expect the media (and consumers) want a similar outcome, and want Apple to do something about it.

20. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I disagree (just my opinion).

This has yet to be proven, but many are of the impression that EVERY phone has the issue, but you need to be on the right combination of tower frequency/signal strength/signal quality before it impacts you. I agree with this theory.

My friend and I could not recreate the signal dropouts whatsoever at his house. He took his iP4 to work today and could recreate the issue all day long with ease. I really think it depends on several signal factors and that the problem plagues all phones. Many people just haven't had the unfortunate experience of having the wrong combination of factors to where it affects them. In fact, there is a thread out there somewhere (can't find it at the moment), challenging someone to provide evidence of 2 iP4's exhibiting different behavior in the exact same location. No one has been able to do so yet.

Again, just a theory, but plenty of people's experiences support it.

21. Rhonen macrumors member

Rhonen

It's because Apple/iPhone are top of the heap. Most sales, most users, most hype from Apple, the media, and the users themselves.

The problem, of course, is that the standards by which the product will be measured is against the HYPE, not any actual product.

In many people's minds, the iphone 4 is supposed to be better than anything else. Any issue, no matter how small, get magnified 1000x because it's being compared to the hype. "How can it be better if it doesn't even work as well as my old phone?"

It boils down to perception, elevated expectations, marketing hype, dismissive CEO emails. Is it irrational? Of course. But so is standing in line for 6 hours for a phone. Everyone is a guilty contributor to this issue whether blown out of proportion or not.

22. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

But you're doing the same thing, just as not every iPhone has this problem, neither does every nexus 1. Also htc acknowledged the problem, where as apple has not. Also there is no course of action for us with the problem other than to return the iPhone, and most don't want to do that. most just want their unit exchanged for one that works, yet apple won't let us (look at the apple employee script posted in another thread about how to "deal" with customers who have a faulty phone with reception issues)

23. TaylorBoi macrumors member

I was actually calm about this whole situation and was going to wait patiently for a fix but after seeing how Apple is handling it....**** these guys man. The "Senior Advisor" i talked to today told me to "Deal with the phone as it is, The 3GS had the same issue, Apple isnt fixing anything, If I'm not satisfied get another phone. Straight disrespectful to say the least so i returned the favor. She probably will never ever forget that phone call.

24. BiomaxDDS macrumors regular

my iPad suffers from the same wifi issue, when I called over the wknd, apple tech told me he has NEVER heard of this problem :rolleyes:

25. BiomaxDDS macrumors regular

so where is that data to backup what you've just said?

I don't know how many people are affected by this, but out of 4 iphones that's around me, 3 has the same exact signal issue