All iPads Why is Apple more worried about profit than innovation ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DBZmusicboy01, Oct 17, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Only 1GB of RAM for the iPad Air 2 and 16GB storage...
    and the mini 3? lets not go there :(

2. 617aircav Suspended

They made a business decision. You act as if 16gb is the only option available. What do you have against choice?

3. mashinhead macrumors 68020

You can make a lot of arguments in this thread either way, but calling an extra gig of ram "innovation" isn't one of them.

4. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Are you serious?

Companies exist to make money. "Innovation" (a ridiculously overused word) is just one means to the profit end.

By the way, can you name another app other than Safari, that shows problems related to only 1GB of memory?

Yeah, me neither.

5. oneshotpro Suspended

Profit is all they care about. thats why the mini 3 didn't get a chip upgrade. Have to please their shareholders!

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

This.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Companies these days are MUCH more beholden to shareholders than ever before. If the quarterly numbers aren't high enough then the Wall street mongoloids get all worked up and freak out. In the good old days, companies used to put employees and customers slightly ahead of shareholders as far as order of importance.

Now? It's like 90% stroking the shareholder weenie and 10% for everything else.

The problem with this is that it can stifle innovation and reduce quality. It's hard to develop products long term and have a longer term vision when some hedge fund gorilla is breathing down your neck. Ya know, these guys need another mega yacht and two more mansions.... Right? :rolleyes:

8. Bromio macrumors 6502

How do you know the iPad Air 2 has only 1GB of RAM?

And the 16GB storage is just a choice. You can buy the 64GB and the 128GB for less money than before.

Regarding to the iPad Mini 3, yes. It is absolutely disappointing. It seems kind of like they want to kill it.

9. Motawa macrumors 6502

Who said it has only 1gb ram? Nobody... Just wait...

10. Milese3 macrumors 6502

The RAM has not been announced. If it's anything like pervious leaks, it will be 2GB.

11. Bromio macrumors 6502

In fact, if those leaks are true, I think the iPad Air 2 is the one to buy, whereas the iPad Air original was the one to skip.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Apple is a business like any other and it's goal is profits.

13. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

32gb wouldn't have been enough for me anyway, so I just ponied up and got the 64gb version. But 16gb is more than enough for a lot of people.

14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the 16GB makes sense because a lot of companies buy iPad's for their employees for work proposes. These IPad will never be used to store Music or video's and will only have few apps on them. And cost is a factor when a company buys 200 iPads.

1 GB ram if true is good for me because that means my Air1 will last longer;-)

15. 617aircav Suspended

Bingo.

16. matttye macrumors 601

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I guess one could follow up with the question why do people post garbage like the above given its still unknown what amount of RAM the Air 2 has, and why they must rehash in a new thread when there are already plenty of existing and current ones on the topic?

But Apple is not only a for-profit enterprise, it's a publicly held one. Of course profit is on the top of their priority list. But that profit helps them innovate (R&D). Adding 1 or 2GB RAM is a business decision thought. It has nothing to do with innovation either way. There is plenty of innovation inside the iPad Air 2 though. We'll see how it performs later this week once Anandtech gets hold of one.

18. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The 16GB model is a good choice for people that don't want to pour in a lot of money into a device that don't need the storage. Apple could have put 32GB of storage but there really isn't any reason to. The 16GB models are for users that mainly web browse, check e-mail, and read books. It's maximum profit for the segment but I feel that Apple still puts better components than most other tablet manufacturers out there which eat into their profits. If they made a plastic iPad, it might still sell really well. Apple is also a business, not a charity so maximization of profits and increasing shareholder value is a pretty big concern for them even though they aren't a young company anymore.

19. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

the 16 GB isnt a consumer friendly decision. it did put the 64GB 100 dollars cheaper

but if the 32GB was the base, it would be the same case.

it just makes you feel "better" about the 64GB in hindsight.

but not if you know apple. but a great marketing scheme, increases sales of the 64GB, and pretty much encourages 16GB users to subscribe to cloud.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

We really don't know why Apple went with 16GB on the base models instead of 32GB. It being for profits is really just conjecture. It could very well be because of supply constraints on 32GB.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Because in order to "innovate" you need money.

22. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Nobody is going to be able to say with absolute certainty except for an Apple insider. But the pricing strategy is classic "good, better, best".

http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/02/why-good-better-best-prices-are-so-effective/

And the good, better, best strategy always starts with the good. The "good" model is priced the lowest to hook the consumer into the possibility that they can buy this thing. But it's also bad enough compared to the better and best models that they feel a strong urge to upgrade, once they've committed to buying.

The 16GB model is both good enough and bad enough. The 32GB model would be just a little too good. I believe in the context of the "good, better, best" pricing model that Apple's reasoning for doing this is as clear as day. I've actually suggested that they move in this direction since the iPad 3.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I had no idea that catering to spec whores was the new definition of innovation.

Frankly I find it to be mightily impressive that iOS doesn't need 3x the RAM to run as smoothly as it does.

24. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

As someone with insider knowledge of a very large retailer, it's rarely that easy. It's probably a mixture of what we both said and then some.

25. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I really do think it's at least partially as simple as them being able to shave some additional costs off of their manufacturing by going with 16GB. They won't lose business by having that model as the entry point. They probably have reports from users who buy the 16GB because it's entry-level and relatively cheap. That, and the emphasis of cloud storage is quickly making the idea of large storage obsolete in its own little, weird way.

I remember I use to bloat my devices with music and TV shows so much that I needed the maximum size, but now I just use streaming music and video services, so 16GB in many ways reflects a situation where I don't need the excess room and I'm able to save some money.

I would say the majority of people who buy iPads just use it to browse the internet and watch stuff on it. There's a lot of productivity work and gaming, but most people with iPads I know just use it to stream various services, and 16GB in that regard, while not great or modern, is completely acceptable.

And to the OP: Apple never truly innovates in the same way as other technology companies, they always innovate through refining years after others have attempted — and they have done a lot of innovative things in the past 5 years: Retina screens, Touch ID (it made fingerprints for consumer tech relevant), and pushing thin and light devices in ways no other company as done prior. Not to mention their next innovation will be the wearable tech market and possibly television screens.

Apple knows what's going on, they have plans for products so many years down the line that they're just waiting to see the best ways to implement these ideas by seeing how the market shapes around their ideas.