Why is Apple RAM so expensive???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scpt, Jul 11, 2007.

1. scpt macrumors newbie

The apple store sells 2 GB RAM for MBP at $550 & 4 GB RAM at $ 1100 !! ...why is it so damn expensive ?? I have seen 4 GB RAM kits for $250 at 3rd part sellers like crucial.

Does anyone know which brand RAM is apple store selling? Does Apple make RAM modules?

Thank you.

2. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

They don't make modules and the brand that they use varies from time to time.
    Customising the computer adds at least one extra process and the cost of adding the RAM includes that.

Of course, there's also the fact that many people either wouldn't know that they could replace it themselves or would be afraid to.

EDIT: Are you sure you're not referring to "value" RAM that's less reliable? That tends to be a bit cheaper.

Also, because Apple doesn't update the upgrade prices separately from machine refreshes, they'll stay the same for a relatively long time without reflecting the dropping prices of RAM. They have decreased quite rapidly, recently.

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Seriously. I bought a gig of ram for my MBP for $48 and installed it myself. Had I gone to the Apple Store, it would have cost me over $200. Ridiculous.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Um, yes.......and they have ALWAYS overcharged for RAM. No need to justify it.

5. scpt thread starter macrumors newbie

No...but the Apple RAM prices I mentioned are for buying RAM modules 'separately' from the Apple Store. That means its not a 'customising process' cost and is meant for people who would want to replace the RAM on their own.

www.crucial.com has a 4 GB kit for MBP for $279..I don't know if its 'value' memory....and Kingston Technology has 4 GB at around $310, which I am sure is NOT 'valueram' since they have a separate category for valueram.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

It's a retail markup, and a hefty one at that.

Apple sells RAM made by other companies. They price it to cover their overhead for purchasing, storing, and shipping this RAM, plus a chunk of change so that they profit from RAM sales.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

RAM bought from Apple is expensive for the same reason that RAM bought from Dell is expensive: Because they charge a lot for it.

Crucial is the outlet for one of the big RAM manufacturers. They are not the cheapest, but you can be sure their RAM will work, and you can order RAM specifically for your computer, so you know you will get the right memory. There may be sellers that are cheaper _and_ reliable.