Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerGala

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2016
It seems to be an Intel issue. Dell has their new Xeon All-In-One Workstation listed for sale on their website, but it’s not shipping until January.

Apple can’t ship it if Intel hasn’t sent the parts.

TheTruth101

Suspended
Mar 15, 2017
Usually Apple clear inventory in December and launch a very good product un January, but now you already have the ones from December.

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
A lot of talk about noise and heat with no evidence again, why so down on something before it’s even released, you people just want to hate something before you’ve even seen it it’s pathetic.

Apple have made a point of saying they have completely redesigned the cooling for the iMac Pro, so why not give them a chance to show they have done it right.

It's not really about hating on an unreleased product. We're just making educated guesses based on Apple's history. We know how Apple usually builds their machines. They're running hot because they always prioritise form over function.

We also know the trash can Mac Pro's had silent operation that also resulted to a lot of failing graphics cards. We also know that the current design of the iMac runs hot and loud. Even with the improved cooling you need to consider that they will run a much beefier hardware in the same amount of space. No matter how amazing their engineers are, they cannot beat thermodynamics. They thought they could with the new Mac Pro but they soon realised they didn't.
We also know that first gen apple products are almost always ridden with issues.

Based on those facts we make the informed assumption that the machines will probably run hot, loud and they will probably have issues.

Again it's not about hating. I don't have any strong emotions like that for a product. I know I will get it because I need it for my work but I'm also aware that it's not going to be a smooth ride.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Where's the iMac Pro?"

Perhaps production isn't going quite as according to plan.

I see the iMac Pro as something like "The Cube" of many years ago.
A dazzling, spiffy product, highly priced -- but with relatively few buyers.

A niche product for a few serious buyers and a few others with more moola than brains...

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
"Where's the iMac Pro?"

A niche product for a few serious buyers and a few others with more moola than brains...

Good point. Also another product ridden with thermal issues.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It's not really about hating on an unreleased product. We're just making educated guesses based on Apple's history. We know how Apple usually builds their machines. They're running hot because they always prioritise form over function.

We also know the trash can Mac Pro's had silent operation that also resulted to a lot of failing graphics cards. We also know that the current design of the iMac runs hot and loud. Even with the improved cooling you need to consider that they will run a much beefier hardware in the same amount of space. No matter how amazing their engineers are, they cannot beat thermodynamics. They thought they could with the new Mac Pro but they soon realised they didn't.
We also know that first gen apple products are almost always ridden with issues.

Based on those facts we make the informed assumption that the machines will probably run hot, loud and they will probably have issues.

Again it's not about hating. I don't have any strong emotions like that for a product. I know I will get it because I need it for my work but I'm also aware that it's not going to be a smooth ride.

Well I expect they'll prove you wrong the new macbook pros have been brilliant thermal wise, so have the macbooks without any active cooling, the chips have finally caught up with the thermal design apple have always wanted to use for their products and they are going for it.

Reactions: USAntigoon

timothyreed

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
Strange, I also had the strange urgency to shout "Where's the iMac Pro?" on the 1st of December. Seems like somebody couldn't resist actually posting as soon as December started :)

"Where's the iMac Pro?" There I got it out of my system.
[doublepost=1512406583][/doublepost]In all seriousness I really want the upcoming New Mac Pro, I think they are fed up with all the complaints of the old trashcan and will deliver what everyone wants. I beefier tower that Has workstation type components and is upgradeable. I like what they are doing with the imac pro but its just not for me. I need to be able to run multiple monitors and be able to upgrade machine as needed. I still have the Original xeon mac pro at home 11 years old and its still kicking. I need a damn tower that looks great and runs great!

Reactions: Hank Carter

HumpYourWayUp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Europe
Did you read that the Mac mini is obsolete now and still no word about the iMac Pro....

Apple could at least communicate to us what the state of the iMac Pro is. Is it a 2018 release?
Also they are delaying the new version of Final Cut Pro because of the iMac Pro.

Ever since Tim Cook released the stupid watch the company gets weirder and weirder. I think Tim would prefer to sell handbags for men instead of computers!

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
"Where's the iMac Pro?"

I think the consensus is that Intel is, as usual, late with their chips.

This could be especially true for the custom, downclocked Xeon W-2140B and W-2150B processors that Apple is putting in the iMac Pro.
[doublepost=1512428807][/doublepost]
"Where's the iMac Pro?"

I had a Cube and there is much inaccurate urban legend that has grown up around that year 2000 era product.

For a start, it wasn't actually overpriced, it was more a marketing mistake that Apple paired it with a fancy new 15" LCD screen. LCDs were very new at that point and consequently very expensive. The combined cost appeared astronomical.

I bought mine without the screen and it was less than the 450 MHz dual-core PowerMac G4. The price-performance and compactness suited me perfectly and it's still one of my favorite Macs. (The SE/30 from 1990 being another, to show how old school I am.)

Secondly, Apple and Steve Jobs in particular was on a hubris high and the tech press at the time was determined to take them down a peg.

Consequently, minor flaws in the mold finish of the cases became disastrous CRACKS that meant the whole product was FLAWED and liable to fall to pieces. Jobs failed with the NeXT Cube and we're going to make damn sure this one fails too.

Other confusions about the product including its lack of expandability, a soft-touch power switch that flummoxed the pre-touch screen sensibilities of the time, the fanless chimney design which just had to cause it to overheat didn't it (which of course it would if a cat went to sleep on it) all combined to doom the product to niche interest.

Anyway, the PowerMac G4 Cube didn't really die: they cleared the stock of 100,000 of them, put it on ice, learned from the marketing missteps, and morphed it into the Mac mini.

Although I'll probably be getting an iMac Pro, I'd strongly disagree that it is anything like the Cube:

The iMac Pro doesn't represent a new design language or form factor, it's a conventional iMac with a Xeon chip and desktop performance graphics card shoehorned in. And a paint job! I don't even think it will be niche, I bet there is a lot of pent-up demand for a performant Mac with a 5K screen in the wider creative industry.

Which is why I'll be following this thread to get a heads up on early ordering to beat the rush.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Did you read that the Mac mini is obsolete now and still no word about the iMac Pro....

Apple could at least communicate to us what the state of the iMac Pro is. Is it a 2018 release?
Also they are delaying the new version of Final Cut Pro because of the iMac Pro.

Ever since Tim Cook released the stupid watch the company gets weirder and weirder. I think Tim would prefer to sell handbags for men instead of computers!

The 2011 Mac mini is obsolete, the 2012 and 2014 are still fully supported.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
I am still expecting a new chassis for it, the iMac Pro would be the ideal platform for Apple to show a new chassis for iMac with. Why would you have a Pro item that will be on an old chassis should new iMacs come next summer with a new one?

I disagree. The logical move is for Apple to use the old chassis for the iMac Pro and release a new chassis for the regular iMac late next year.

• The selling point of the iMac Pro is raw power
  • The selling point of the 2018 iMac is aesthetics

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
I still think that Apple should take inspiration from the Surface Pro and use that to completely change the form factor of the iMac Pro range.
Leave the iMac range in the existing form as that is what people expect but radically change the Pro to really cater for professional power users and grab the torch back from the PC brigade.

RuffDraft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Still checking the 'News' section of Google every hour to make sure I have the heads up on the iMac Pro.

It's annoying that the iPhone X buyers had the exact date and time of the pre-order for the handset over a month in advance, and yet here we are - the pro users - still waiting for Apple to make their minds up as to when we're going to receive the iMac Pro in the same month that it's going to be made available.

I'd just like to know:
  • has Intel messed up and forced the release back?
  • the set models that will be available for purchase (8, 10 and 18 core models and their respective components)
  • the cost of each individual upgrade that you can make to the machine,
  • and a date at which we can pre-order / order it.
That way, we can have the funds in our accounts, ready for purchasing.

I do think December 18th makes sense for pre-order / release. That date was on Wiki for a month before it was removed, and Apple seemed extremely proud of the core count at the announcement. I find it unlikely that the blame falls to Google Bots for 'being dumb' and thinking the core count is the release date - last I checked, Google's bots are pretty clever things. To me, it's much more likely that Apple want to make a public announcement on that date to say that today is the 18th, and 18 is the number of cores in the new iMac Pro etc. It's very Apple, I think, and I can also see them privately removing the listed date from Wiki/Google in a state of bafflement, not realising that the information had been scrubbed from a location on their website beforehand.

All speculative. It's going to be a longer December than usual.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
The Executives at Apple were probably ready to discuss the release of the iMac Pro earlier today, but they cancelled that meeting so they could talk about something far more important to them: reversible emojis!

Reactions: HumpYourWayUp

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
If it was intended for the Holiday Season 2017... NEW FANCY APPLE product advertising should have been running from November 30th until New Years. Maybe they realized that the market is very luke warm to tepid cold to the iMac Pro. Maybe they will do a more limited release, since every pro in the market thinks this thing is a "Too Little Too Late" giant apple dud..

HumpYourWayUp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Europe
"Ever since Tim Cook released the stupid watch the company gets weirder and weirder. I think Tim would prefer to sell handbags for men instead of computers!"

I think the real problem might be that he doesn't think there is a difference.

That is a good point!

Reactions: ciki62

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I am sure Tim and Apple stockholders are crying all the way to the bank. One survey says Apple is 2nd best managed company. \

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
That Dell, if it's the one the OP is referring to, is a red herring as it uses a Xeon E3, not the new Xeon W series Intel announced in September, a Xeon E5 replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.