why is apple still selling ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by flyguy206, Apr 27, 2012.

1. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Why wouldn't they? It's 13 months old and does almost everything the new iPad can do. Also it's discounted so it opens itself up to people who want an iPad, but don't want to spend $500+ on it.

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The same reason they still sell the 3GS. Affordability without creating something new.

4. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

The question is, why wouldn't they still be selling the iPad 2?

It's still a magnificent device that works smoother than most other tablets currently available.

5. Madjobs macrumors newbie

Why?

Because-

1-no pink screen

2-no yellow screen

3-no overheating,one I returned went out on thermal -confirmed by log brought up by genius

4-better battery life regardless of what the fanboys spew

5-100 bucks cheaper and better quality control

6-better quality control-when I pad 2was released I exchanged 1 and happy ever since.
    Some have exchanged 8 or more and no,they are not OCD- they just want what they are paying for,hyped up screen without all the dis- coloration
    And yes there are acceptable ones out there
    Too bad you have to play the exchange game

So that is why among other reasons

6. martosprint macrumors 6502

And also they are doing it to get rid of some older stock, which makes sense to me. Why throw the older iPads into the trash, just sell them and get rid of them. 

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

They still sell the iPad 2 because, like this poster, some people really are willing to settle for second best.

In a 2-horse race, with both first and second belonging to Apple, you can't go wrong.

8. taedouni macrumors 65816

They were able to reduce costs in producing the iPad 2 and sell it at a lower price to compete with the cheaper android tablets.

9. flyguy206, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012

flyguy206 thread starter macrumors 6502a

we all know you don't even own an ipad

10. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

7-Weighs noticeably less

8-Slightly thinner

11. Lycorisu macrumors newbie

I'm glad they are still selling them. I sold my ipad 2 right after getting an ipad3. I find that I am having a hard time keeping the new one charged enough to be as useful as my old one. I just ordered another ipad2 to replace the ipad3 with yesterday.

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Slightly thinner as in a fraction of a millimeter, so almost not even at all thinner. Some of you guys need to check out a ruler and see what a half millimeter actually looks like. It's negligible.

Apple is still selling the iPad 2 because it's another point of entry for potential Apple customers. It's increasing their install base. It's bringing more people into the ecosystem, getting them hooked on iCloud, and selling them on everything else has to offer for $100 cheaper than the base 3rd gen iPad model.

It has nothing to do with perceived "defects". Go add up all the unique names of people in all the forums you guys check. Come up with a number. I guarantee you that it is an infitessimal percentage of total iPads sold.

13. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

It's still a great machine, more than capable for many. And it helps tempt those who might be in the Kindle Fire price range to stretch up to an iPad.

If my use case wasn't somewhat intense (see my signature) I probably wouldn't have upgraded from the 2 to the new.

14. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

If the iPad 3 was a "fraction of a millimeter" thinner, all of the fanatics would be pointing that out as a new feature.

I just posted the facts. If you put 2 of them side-by-side, I can tell which one is which just by looking at the back bulge.

15. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Good for you. It's still a negligible difference. You can tell easily which is which because the taper is slightly different on the new one. The thickness difference is so miniscule, it's ridicuous. I can see complaining about the added weight I guess, but not the difference in thickness.

16. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Because at that price point it's a very good value proposition compared to others on the market.

17. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It weighs .11 ounces less. Only noticeable to a weakling :)D), and this is coming from a disabled guy who couldn't use any iPad if I had to manually hold it.

19. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

How is it rude?

iPad 2: 8.8 mm
    iPad 3: 9.4 mm

Difference: .6 mm

Go to this site:
    http://iruler.net/

Look at the top side of the ruler. It's .6 of a MILLIMETER. Just over half of a millimeter. That's the little spaces on the top of the ruler, not the numbered ones, which are centimeters.

20. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Weakling. Children. Smaller people. Who cares.

I happen to be an average adult man. I think it's a bit heavy for lengthy periods of reading, which is my main use. I thought the iPad 2 was a tad heavy, too.

Mind you, everyone is different.

21. 808? macrumors 6502a

22. EarlZ macrumors regular

Because they are still making money from it, Pretty sure with its low return rate ( now ) its more profitable than the Ipad3 and they see that some people dont want to spend more than the current Ipad2 pricing to try out an iOS device if its for them or not.

23. ktmelvis macrumors member

Many schools are adopting the iPad, and the iPad 2 is a huge cost saving for them as there going to have text books and other stuff on them, books on a iPad 2 still look great and there is nothing wrong with them.

24. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

They're still selling the iPad 2 because it's perfectly priced and pitched to destroy the kindle fire.

25. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

Uh no.