Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Everything is 30% faster that and 20% more efficient this and hours longer battery.

Not 4gb of ram, 3500mah battery and a 2.5 quad core CPU. All the specs come out when tear downs happen so it will be public. So why the heck don’t they just post it from the start?
Just seems super shady, I’m Surprised they tell us the megapixel in cam sensors. Lol

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I suppose because Apple always wanted to make their products 'simple', in a way you don't really have to bother with technical specs. But I guess it's time for them to do so.

zea

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
People always find out after they come out with benchmarks and whatnot, and they always outperform other current gen chips. They could get technical if they want, but they don’t want to. If they were charging premium prices and we weren’t getting the performance and battery life, then I’d consider that shady. But they know the majority of their market doesn’t care.

Reactions: Maclver

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Not shady, I think it’s Apple’s way of making it easy for everyone to understand. Everyone isn’t a macrumors Apple nerd like us!!
I get that, but....They just want non tech customers? Lol the only thing I want that is easy is a girl in a bar!! Lol

People always find out after they come out with benchmarks and whatnot, and they always outperform other current gen chips. They could get technical if they want, but they don’t want to. If they were charging premium prices and we weren’t getting the performance and battery life, then I’d consider that shady. But they know the majority of their market doesn’t care.

That’s the thing. They charge more than anybody else and they are the only one not to. You would think you pay the most you want to know the most! I think it’s cause they only lead in the CPU dept. Ram, battery, charging etc is all not up to todays standards so they are quite about it.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Seriously, why do “specs” matter? Faster..more efficient...better battery. Who cares about the crap behind the scenes.

Reactions: DevinNj

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Look at the majority of their customers. And trust me, the majority is not hanging out on MacRumors posting about specs on a Friday night.

My mom doesn’t care if it has 3200mA or 3600mA battery. She cares that it can last while she’s out running errands while playing a few rounds of Candy Crush

She doesn’t care if it has 4 or 6 GB or RAM or if the CPU clock speed is faster than the latest Samsung Galaxy SX. She just wants it to be more responsive and smoother.

And that’s not just older parents. I’ve been helping install a company app with the people at work. Maybe 5% care about their phones and how they work. Many don’t even care if it’s sluggish or slow.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Specs don’t matter. With iOS you don’t need the ram android phones do. Their power management is more efficient than others, therefore a bigger battery isn’t needed. I can go on and on. Apple can essentially do “more” with “less”. Now compare specs with a flagship android phone and on paper the iPhone will look inferior. iPhones have consistently bested higher spec phones because of the optimization, and like stated above, average Joe consumer couldn’t give a crap how much ram a phone has, hell I’ll bet he doesn’t know what ram is, but tell him it’s 30% faster, 30% longer battery, etc, than previous models, well there you go.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Cause that’s what ur paying for!!!!
You are paying for the device and what it can do, not some particular amount of RAM or something like that (that doesn't really mean much one way or another as some sort of a stat, especially in comparisons to other non-Apple devices).

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Cause that’s what ur paying for!!!!

You’re not paying for specs, you’re paying for the experience. The experience isn’t dictated by the individual components, it’s dictated by the package as a while. So it doesn’t matter how much ram, or how many cores, or how many mAh. The actual experience matters, and specs tend to be at the bottom of the list for most people when factoring their overall experience with a cell phone. 30% longer battery is far easier to comprehend for customers as opposed to 400 mAh. 20% faster means more to Billy than .2 ghz faster with 2 extra efficiency cores. 10% brighter is a better benchmark than 75 nite higher than the predecessor. The list goes on.

For example, if Apple’s next iPhone had a single core processor at 1.0gHz, and 1gig of ram, but it outperforms all other cell phones, the specs don’t matter any more because of the overall experience, even though on paper no tech geeks like us in their right mind would downgrade to specs like that. Specs aren’t the forefront of what Apple does, experience is. They don’t want their base to have to worry about specs, they want their base to enjoy using their products.

wicker21

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Your average consumer does not care. They just want it to work and be a good experience. Apple has a long reputation so people don’t question or think twice about it.

Reactions: DevinNj

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
At least in the Steve Jobs days, he said none of that mattered. What ultimately matters is the experience.

I love the irony here. People here love saying "Steve Jobs blah blah if he was still around" and yet he was the guy that thought the experience of using technology transcends mere specs on paper.

dweb619

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
WV USA!!!
I must have missed this law. I hope there will be a class-action lawsuit against Apple for not telling us what the specs are right down to the maker of the glue.

Apple knows what they are doing and what their customers want. So we trust them, and they haven’t let us down so we don’t question them. Even though we should.

zea

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
I get that, but....They just want non tech customers? Lol the only thing I want that is easy is a girl in a bar!! Lol

That’s the thing. They charge more than anybody else and they are the only one not to. You would think you pay the most you want to know the most! I think it’s cause they only lead in the CPU dept. Ram, battery, charging etc is all not up to todays standards so they are quite about it.

They lead in CPU in terms of performance. But they also have the insane optimization of iOS. That’s why RAM and battery specs mean different things when comparing to a different OS. We know the RAM management is top notch and they give us the battery rating based on hours, so the actual technical specs don’t have to matter in their eyes, so they can be quiet about it. I like to know the actual specs too, and we usually find out later thanks to breakdowns, but they don’t have to market it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.