Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I wonder if squid game for example would be popular on atv. Honestly I thought it was a pretty stupid show but Netflix has the power to create something like this that can be a global phenomenon. For apple I think a show like this could risk hurting their brand. For Netflix it’s just what people expect to see.

Sometimes I think we underestimate just how much power Netflix has. The most powerful television network created. Atv isn’t even close. Apple isn’t stupid. It’s not trying to be that. And that’s just it. We don’t know what apple is trying to do, how it measures any sort of success, or if it’s nothing more than an experiment to see where it might go.
At the end of the day, Netflix commands far more viewers than Apple TV+. Netflix has 210 million subscribers vs. Apple TV+'s 40 million, most likely with higher ratio of viewers per subscriber than Apple (sharing an Apple TV+ credential is less desirable than Netflix).

For better or worse, Apple TV+ is largely associated with Apple users. On the plus side, Apple can leverage its brand to promote and drive up Apple TV+ subscribers -- free extended trial with an eligible purchase and Apple One bundling.

But Apple TV+ is largely unfamiliar to non-Apple hardware customers. I recommended Apple TV+ many times. Many flippantly reply with "oh, but I don't use Apple." Apple needs to change that misconception and offer extended free trial to non-Apple users.

AnnonKneeMoosee

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
I bought an Apple product last week, and was given a 90 day free trial of TV+

After a few days, I’m not convinced there’s any point to it—even for “free”.

Much like Amazon, every time I find something I might want to see, I’m told to pay for it. Well, screw that!
At least with Amazon, I’d still get free shipping. What would I get with TV+? A lighter wallet.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The free only includes Apple stuff - the app shows stuff from other sources. Bad thing and very confusing - they want people to sign up for other as part of their product will will cost you even if you have an account already.
Prime does show stuff that you have to rent or buy but you can say only part of the subscription

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The free only includes Apple stuff - the app shows stuff from other sources. Bad thing and very confusing - they want people to sign up for other as part of their product will will cost you even if you have an account already.
Prime does show stuff that you have to rent or buy but you can say only part of the subscription
Yeah, the UI is a bit of a mess. Personally, I think having the AppleTV app as a single source for all viewing material is fine, but there's very little separation once you're in the app. I think it's by design to dump it all in a pot, but it does confuse the user as to what is watchable and what requires another subscription.

I have cable tv, so there a quite a few things I can watch with the AppleTV app, but then I'll hit something that I'm not subscribed to and it'll be a bummer.

Perhaps Apple could change the UI so that the various services come up as individual channels (it sort of does right now, but it's still difficult to navigate. The "What to Watch" section is especially frustrating. Another thing they could try would be to somehow highlight the shows that would require an additional subscribtion, perhaps with a red outline or maybe it's "greyed out".

Reactions: ErikGrim

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I look at what is on Apple + and say - that would be nice to watch but then when I am actually ready to watch the Apple stuff never comes up as #1. I haven't watched + in a while but when I did some stuff - I watched at the gym while on a bike so 1/2 hour. I found the shows on + didn't remember where I stopped as other streamers did. So I had to keep finding where I left off. The other issue I had (and haven't tried in a while) was that I had to manually turn off rotate lock - which I don't on the other streamers.
Maybe this stuff has been fixed.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I can honestly say at the moment we’re watching more Apple+ than anything else currently.
We only tend to watch an hour of tv a night unless there’s sport on.
In the last few weeks it’s been Ted lasso, See, Foundation, Acapulco and today we will start Invasion.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
The Apple TV+ interface is appalling. I simply hate trying to find content in the app and so have taken a pass on ever using it. If one speculated on how to design the worst media app in history, the Apple TV+ app would give them good guidance, and a very very high bar to climb.

This is the reason why Apple TV+ is one of the least popular streaming service out there. It has nothing to do with the content. It is the unbelievably poor design of the app.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
The Apple TV+ interface is appalling. I simply hate trying to find content in the app and so have taken a pass on ever using it. If one speculated on how to design the worst media app in history, the Apple TV+ app would give them good guidance, and a very very high bar to climb.

This is the reason why Apple TV+ is one of the least popular streaming service out there. It has nothing to do with the content. It is the unbelievably poor design of the app.
Apple TV+ is the streaming channel. The app is named Apple TV. No "+" And, yes, it is a TERRIBLE naming convention.

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
Anybody who is coming from a different platform to use Apple tv needs a cheatsheet like this:

such a terrible decision from the get go.....but the damage has been done....they don't seem to be in any hurry to rename them to be less confusing

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i dont understand the appletv+ concept at all. There is nothing interesting in Europe, nothing at all… Even Tiktok provides more…

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
i dont understand the appletv+ concept at all.

It’s more of a tv app portal or store. With atv+ thrown in it. It’s intentional. The purpose is to get you to live in this app. Purchase channels and shows. Watch your shows inside it. Etc. Apple gets 30%

Yep it’s a mess. But it’s not an accident. And if it’s working only apple knows. But Tim seems happy. It’s all about streaming revenue.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
It’s more of a tv app portal or store. With atv+ thrown in it. It’s intentional. The purpose is to get you to live in this app. Purchase channels and shows. Watch your shows inside it. Etc. Apple gets 30%

Yep it’s a mess. But it’s not an accident. And if it’s working only apple knows. But Tim seems happy. It’s all about streaming revenue.

This is what i dont get at all. I rather use original apps.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this here yet, but it reminds me of Playstation Vue. There was a belief you needed to be a Playstation user to use it. I liked the product, but it is probably partly why it died.

Here too, it sounds like you need an Apple device to use this. Even though it is available to basically anyone.

Reactions: Juicy Box

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this here yet, but it reminds me of Playstation Vue. There was a belief you needed to be a Playstation user to use it. I liked the product, but it is probably partly why it died.

Here too, it sounds like you need an Apple device to use this. Even though it is available to basically anyone.
Great example.

I think I remember a rumor about a name change for PS Vue due to this issue.

I think ATV+ has other issues as well, but the name confusion is a big one, imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.