Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Ok maybe they don't X_X

I wonder if it was really a BMW thing to begin with:

I ask this on a forum where everyone is sooooooo in love with BMW. What's the big deal? What's so magical about their design that everyone has to copy them verbatim.

Even Audi is starting to do that :(
Going by the pictures you've provided for reference, I'm guessing you are referring to the "Hofmeister Kink" that they use? If so, then no, that is not their creation, but is has been a design constant for them for over 50 years (1961 BMW 1500). Here is a little reading specifically about this....

Jalopnik - The Ten Best Car Design Elements Of All Time
http://jalopnik.com/#!5069475/the-ten-best-car-design-elements-of-all-time
#1 - Hoffmeister Kink

Though most people will recognize a BMW by its trademark kidney-shaped grille, the true enthusiast will recognize the small wedge at the base of the C-pillar, which highlights the rear wheels of the rear-wheel-driven cars. Though some have argued this element first appeared on the 1960 Dodge Dart, Wilhelm Hoffmeister rightly gets credit for creating such a distinct and memorable element for the Neue Klasse Bimmers of the 1960s and 1970s. This element is present in nearly every BMW you'll ever see, which is why Ash78 and so many others nominated it. It looks great even on a Bangle-ized Bimmer, but we think one of the best examples is the 1965 BMW 2000C/CS coupe.

New Media Campaigns - The Hofmeister Kink: A Lasting BMW Design Detail
http://www.newmediacampaigns.com/page/the-hofmeister-kink-a-lasting-bmw-design-detail
The Hofmeister kink has become a signature design element of all BMWs. BMW claims that it "subtly highlights" that the cars are rear-wheel drive. Since it first appeared, the kink has appeared on every BMW manufactured. Below is the C-Pillar of all of the BMW "Compact Exec" type cars since the 1500.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
I don't think BMW is the only company that makes "unique" cars. I think they have a distinct look that they've held over the years that not a lot of companies have attempted to copy.

That said, what about the classic Jaguar lineup?

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I don't find BMW's particularly interesting or unique to look at. Great to drive? Yes. But I can name quite a few auto maker's with more unique cars than BMW... Porsche comes to mind... so does the Cadillac CTS-V lineup and the current Mercedes SLS is pretty unique. I don't know if you're referring to unique as overall or just the design.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
Then you haven't driven the Corvette, CTS/-V, G8/Commodore, and Buick Regal/Insignia( ok, German engineered give you that one).

no i havn't because here in europe is't not so easy to find a seller whose not trying to ripp you off. But it's not hard either to buy a corvette or mustang etc. I think bmw i a really good manufactory that has some tradition in their cars.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
BMW had the height of their design back through the 80s and 90s. They created streamlined, unique and exceptionally handsome vehicles across the board.

Chris Bangle ruined the look of BMW for me. They are still excellent cars, some of the best in the world obviously, but looks-wise (I'm so shallow that way about cars :p) I think they're ugly.

Mercedes really hit a stride there just after the turn of the century. Very sporty, masculine cars.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Cough.
sstp_0805_03_z+2008_subaru_impreza_sti+side_view.jpg

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
To the BMW lovers: The topic was satire, I really was being sarcastic when I asked that because everyone thought that Apple is the only unique hardware manufacturer out there lol.

I could point out more than a dozen cars I'd actually want to buy, and none of them have hoffmeister kinks, that stupid rear end, or the ugly A pillar that flows up from the hood and makes the front of the car look sorta like the bottom of a vacuum cleaner.

Don't get me started on the kidney grille. I mean, at least it's not that 5 sided grille that everyone and their brother is using right now..

Stuff that makes me happy:
2008-chrysler-300c-srt-8-base-pic-15821.jpeg

Subaru-WRX.jpg

2010-audi-r8-v10.jpg

^ hrmm that almost has a hoffmeister kink. Yikes.
corvette-zr1-pic.jpg

Any real guy can appreciate a corvette.
2010_Camaro_SS_blog.jpg

camaro_ss.jpg

JeepWranglerUltimatewith392HEMIfromMopar2_%28544x408%29.jpg

^ 2 or 4 doors, I love em.
112_0804_01z+2008_dodge_challenger_SRT8+side_view.jpg

2012-Volkswagen-Phaeton-Rear-Side-View.jpg

^ I really don't know why I like the Phaeton, but I do.
1368518133_5e8904b657.jpg

I doubt I'd ever buy a Mini, but I appreciate them for being very unique. Hey BMW too!
10500433-vw-beetle.jpg

2006-Mercedes-Benz-CLS-Rear-View.jpg

^ I don't really like the CLS, but it's a cool car anyway.
Audi-S5.jpg

big7478.jpg

aa34_saturn-sky-redline-003_jpg.jpg

Last edited:

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
...or the ugly A pillar that flows up from the hood and makes the front of the car look sorta like the bottom of a vacuum cleaner.
I like how the pic you use for the CLS just happens to hide the fact that is has this very feature. But hey, whatever. You like some ugly cars, that is your choice. :p

lddo9.jpg

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
You're totally right, but I don't like the CLS anyway. That, and it has no hoffmeister kink. XD

You're right though, I goofed up on that one. Oops!

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
I think it's just you americans :)

Here in the south east of the UK, 3-series etc are common as muck - They're just normal cars for many people, and often the standard company lease.

I also don't think they're incredibly well made. My '04 330cl certainly isn't anything special. Shoddy gearbox despite the warranty claims, doesn't seem any different than a ford focus or whatever for reliability, and the parts cost more.
I hate generalizations like 'german cars are all built brilliantly'. My partner has a mid mileage '02 VW polo, and I've never had to spend more on repairs on a car - Pretty impressive seeing as my last car was a high mileage, tuned, 300bhp fiat (that never went wrong)...

You sir, are 100% correct.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I dont think BMW makes unique cars, styling wise, but they are the "ultimate driving machine". They are quite unreliable though. My gfs 128 has been in the shop many many times due to minor repairs.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
I'm still saying that reliability depends more on a model of car (or even the submodel!) than the brand.

That, and there's a difference between say, bulbs going out on the dash and the car dying on the freeway.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
Imho, BMW makes yuppie crap for people who only care about what others think about them. Older BMWs before mid-90s had a soul and although I'd never buy one (I have unadulterated disliking for most things German) at least I can respect them. I know quite a few people that only bought BMWs for the sake of having a BMW and nothing else.

New cars are just bloated overpowered status symbols loaded up to the gills with unreliable electronics. Not much else to say. If you don't believe me, buy a used BMW circa early 2000s with some mileage and see how quickly it will drain your wallet and your patience.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Then you haven't driven the Corvette, ...
The Corvette is a car that has a unique design, powerful engine and AWFUL handling. It's like driving a bucking bronco. Fun for a few minutes then it really chaps your ass. I'm definitely no fan of the Corvette of the past few decades. You can get a lot better car for your money.

To the BMW lovers: The topic was satire, I really was being sarcastic when I asked that because everyone thought that Apple is the only unique hardware manufacturer out there lol.

I could point out more than a dozen cars I'd actually want to buy, and none of them have hoffmeister kinks, that stupid rear end, or the ugly A pillar that flows up from the hood and makes the front of the car look sorta like the bottom of a vacuum cleaner.

Don't get me started on the kidney grille. I mean, at least it's not that 5 sided grille that everyone and their brother is using right now..

Stuff that makes me happy:
2008-chrysler-300c-srt-8-base-pic-15821.jpeg
You say all that and then the very first picture is a 300. What a butt ugly car. It's a freaking box. How original is that!?

I'm still saying that reliability depends more on a model of car (or even the submodel!) than the brand.
That is very true. I've had great Honda's and crappy ones maintenance wise. Same with Dodge/Chrysler/Jeeps.

Last edited:

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
- {Citation Needed} -

What citation? Just ask any car enthusiast that's not a BMW fanboi. They'll tell you all about it. BMW fanbois tend to overlook the ridiculous amounts of maintenance these cars require nowadays. And it's all because BMW only cares about the first owner who lays out most money. And then to hell with all of the subsequent ones.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
You say all that and then the very first picture is a 300. What a butt ugly car. It's a freaking box. How original is that!?

YOU HATE MY CAR!!! :'( *acts emo*

No, this is a box!
scion%20xb.jpg

What's wrong with a box? it's better than looking like a BMW :p

Sadly I'd buy a BMW anyway. If I drove my 300 to my future job the fellow nerds will probably mock me and laugh for liking detroit/canadian metal instead of THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINEEE!!!!! :O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.