All iPads Why is everyone complaining?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yinz, Oct 22, 2013.

1. yinz macrumors 6502a

Apple gave you iPad Mini with Retina Display and a smaller, lighter iPad Air. Why is everyone complaining about colour, price, TouchID, Camera, etc.?

I feel like I'm in an elementary school surrounded by elementary school kids. Quit whining, Apple's iPad announcements fulfilled everything you wanted before the iPhone launch. Stop it, just stop it.

2. mantan macrumors 68000

People are going to have opinions....that's a part of this forum. The people who express frustration about every release are no less annoying than the people who'd jump for joy and call it an amazing if Tim Cook took a dump on a paper plate and revealed his masterpiece at an Apple event.

3. yinz, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

yinz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I get that people have their own opinions, but be realistic. The iPhone JUST came out. I can understand a comparison between the older iPad and the newer iPad (a la 15rMBP vs 15rMBP discussion), but comparing iPhone and iPad technology is like asking why MacBooks don't have touchID, or the same back facing camera.

You can't expect Apple to shove all of that stuff into the new iPad. They have to at least make sure it's received well by the public first. Look how Cards app turned out. They shut that down right away. I think Apple is a bit more cautious when introducing hardware.

I understand if people want to discuss why certain technologies aren't in certain devices, but most of these posts are whiners more than people of logical discussion.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The only whiners are on the forums. IRL no one is complaining.

5. mantan macrumors 68000

I think it ultimately comes down to what people were hoping for....vs what they got.

The danger of a mature product is it becomes a lot harder to innovate. Lighter/thinner, better camera and faster processor only moves the needle so far.

The lack of a 'killer feature' for the Air and a price hike for the Mini 2 let a lot of air out of the balloon.

A low cost feature which I GUARANTEE would have changed a lot of people's mind would have been using this opportunity to bring the base model of the iPad up to 32 gig. In 2013 the difference between an 16 and 32 gig memory chip is less than $10. In lieu of any killer new feature, that would have generated some excitement...or even softened the blow of the $100 price increase on the Mini 2.

I predict the Mini 2 price will eventually 'settle' to $329...just like the original Mini went to $299.

Consumers can only blame themselves though. The Mini was ripped on announcement for being underspec'd and overpriced....then flew off the shelves.

6. syd430 Guest

I personally find the latter more annoying for some reason. Probably because sceptical consumers are what drives companies to compete and make better products, whereas ass kissing over a product is just sad.. given that you've voluntarily exchanged your money for it.

7. Altis macrumors 68000

I'll admit I complain easily about certain things (like the Music app and other iOS 7 things).

I have to admit I'm quite impressed with what I saw today. I'm surprised how much weight they cut from the full sized iPad. I'm pleased the Mini now gets the same kit as the full size, especially the retina display. Pricing is precisely what I thought it would be.

The free Mavericks/iwork/ilife stuff is all nice, as well. New Mac Pro looks promising. Hefty (for Apple) price drops on Retina MBPs. Even things like memory compression sounded quite new and interesting (although we'll see how it works in the field).

All things considered, I thought it was a big day for Apple. I think they will see a great many sales this coming season.

8. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

Apple itself is maturing. The explosive period between 2007-2010 under Jobs isn't going to be happening again.

9. syd430 Guest

You do know that we pay for these products right? No, we're not all here to sit around a camp fire and sing songs praising our lord and saviour Apple like you would like us to.

It's not about entitlement or first world problems. If everyone had such low, forgiving standards such as yourself, we would all have crap products because there would be no real incentive for these companies to compete and innovate.

10. GBR macrumors 6502

It's getting fun to watch these people.

Before iPad Announcement:
    "I will be first in line if Apple adds a retina screen and puts the A6 or A6X chip in it"

After iPad Announcement:
    "%@*#^!!!! Apple only added Retina, A7 w/ 64 bit, M7 motion chip, retain 10 hr battery with no noticeable size/weight gain, and added a 128gb option?!?! I'm furious that's all they did!! Barely a spec bump!! They should be embarrassed!! Apple has completely lost their way!!"

People are never satisfied. Apple pretty much jumped 2 generations of tech internally in the mini which is much more than most expected. Now rather than the mini being a lesser option to the 9.7" iPad they pretty much are spec for spec the same except screen size. So pick the size you prefer and you won't suffer spec-wise for choosing either. I absolutely love it!

My only minor complaint is this "ships in November" statement. Can they really not plan ahead enough to have an actual launch date? Not a huge deal but u'd think they'd want to launch ASAP to cash in on the super hype post-announcement.

11. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

You know participating in online forums is a big part of online marketing.

12. yinz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, maybe I should avoid this forum for a few days. Especially with the iDevices where there are more band wagoners than the Mac side...

Oh please. You are telling me this isn't a first world problem? Do you even know what that means?

People are complaining about technology they didn't even know they wanted or colours they didn't even know they wanted until the iPhone 5S came out, so please don't give me your condescending BS. It's people like you that make me sick of this forum.

Yeah, I agree with you. Expectation is just too hard to beat. It also varies so greatly from person to person, that it seems inevitable that someone complains.

I also think the price will eventually settle down...

So are you saying the whiners are helping Apple advertise?

Yeah, this was incredible. I can't see Microsoft giving away Office. My mind was blown when they announced this.

I'd say the increases in prices of the Macs/iDevices were totally justified by the free software they were giving away.

This is exactly why I had to post this ironic thread about complaining. Thank you for pointing this out.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Because a whole lotta people operate outside the realm of math and reality. The iPhone supply shortages are in part because of Touch ID, so had those parts been used on the iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini, it would've been even worse.

Meanwhile, Apple is pretty much throwing free software at everybody. Bad, evil Apple.

14. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I think you got it all figured out now... /endthread?

15. yinz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn them, and their free software!

sure. /endthread

16. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

I DON'T WANNA!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

17. scupking macrumors 6502a

Only odd thing about today was them keeping the iPad 2 around. As for color, who cares most people put a case on there ipad and phones. Get a different color case if you want a different color.

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am not complaining the iPad Air is perfectly fine. I don't care about rear camera, case color, RAM, and the price. :apple:

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I do not get the cockroach-like existence of the iPad 2. Of course I also don't get the fact that the iPhone 4S lives. My thought would be for the iPad 2, you've got cheap. You've got high-quality small. You've got high-quality large. Why do you need subpar large? For the 4S, Apple could've totally murdered the 3.5-inch display -- and almost killed the 30-pin connector -- a year earlier by offering an 8GB iPhone 5C. The whole fragmentation thing would be much closer to dying for a display that is obviously not the future. So kill it and give developers one less thing to support. I'd love to see the non-retina 3.5" support go soon to reduce the size of our apps.

As far as colors, I totally agree. You know how much difference there would be on my phone between a gold and silver 5s? the itty bitty ring around the home button, the volume controls and mute switch, and the itty bitty sliver you can see in the hole for the camera and flash. But most of it is OHMYGOSH YOU GOT A SHINY RED CASE.

20. syd430 Guest

I said that this being a first world problem is beyond the point, I didn't say "it's not a first world problem". Clearly it is, as is almost everything else discussed on a consumer products forum.

I'm also glad that it makes you "feel sick" because I don't sit around here 24/7 praising Apple all day long like you would like me to. It's also somewhat an ironic accusation given that i'm heavily invested in Apple products myself, and and pretty happy with the newly announced product line up :).

You just need to calm down a bit and accept that people are always going to be sceptical and critical on any consumer product forum. If there's something I like about a product, i'll post about it, if there's something I don't like about a product i'll post about it. I do both here all the time. It's people like you that make a mountain out of a molehill and think this is some holy war between Apple supporters and haters.

21. SCHMEGGA macrumors newbie

I am very happy with all of the specs on the new iPad mini. I wasn't expecting the touch sensor with the limits already being placed on the iPhone 5s. I have a 64GB iPad 3 with LTE and love it. But since I got my son an iPad mini last year, I have wanted one. I told myself that I would wait until the retina display is announced and then get one. But since I would be replacing my iPad3 I will want at least the 64Gb LTE and quite possibly the 128GB LTE. But at $730 and $830 respectively, I will most likely just keep my iPad 3 and wait of the next iPad mini with the touch sensor and A8 processor. Since I already have retina with the 3 and it is by no means showing it's age. VERY VERY disappointed in the price bump. Enough so that I will be holding onto my money. I love my 5s' touch sensor BTW.

22. csrini1 macrumors regular

Well they should have at least given 8mp camera on ipad, if not the A7X , 2GB RAM and the gold color option. Making it lighter is great but this is more like throwing just a bone to the hungry dog.

23. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The vast majority probably aren't complaining.

As with anything, the posting is usually by those who have something to whine about.

24. Macalway macrumors 68000

25. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Omg, another twerp. It's called freedom of speech - look it up...