Why is everyone talking about Android tablets here?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Jan 21, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Why?

They are keep comparing Motorola Xoom blah blah.

Do we know how much is it going to cost? No.

So, without knowing the costs, why are you comparing it to iPad 2? How do we know motorola Xoom won't be 600-700 or even 800 dollars?

Android honeycomb hasn't been demoed enough, so you all just speculating that all of sudden motorola Xoom will have decent apps, affordable price....?

Besides wifi version, 3G/4G version on Verizon will be so cheap huh? Well, Verizon and cheap don't go together. Verizon is the most expensive carrier in the US.

So, question. Why are you comparing and whining about iPad 2 specs that you have no idea of and comparing it to Motoroloa Xoom?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

looking over the threads here, most of the conversations are centered on the iPad 2, not the xoom :rolleyes:

Besides on the odd thread or two that is discussing android, so what, people like to compare and contrast.

3. Syk macrumors 6502a

Because Moto has given out the list of what the Xoom specs will be and it suppose to be the iPads competition.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Do we know what iPad 2 will cost? No

Do we know what specs iPad 2 will have? No

Do we know how well it will perform? No

Do we know when iPad 2 will come out? No

So what's your point?

These are macRUMOR forums are they not?!?!

5. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

This is macRumor forums and not android forums.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

and I see mostly Mac/apple threads, your point?

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Point? We are comparing the RUMORED iPad with the DEMONSTRATED Xoom. Again what is your point? Why am I posting?

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

But if no one ever speaks of Android Tablets ever on here, we won't know how much better our iPad are :D

To be honest, there is very little talk about Android really, as was just said, Motorola have posted up the specs of the Xoom:

For anyone interest the FULL specs for the Xoom are to be found here:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola-XOOM_id5123/fullspecs

Most notably, such things as:
    10.1" screen 1280x800 res
    Multitouch, light sensor, proximity sensor
    1024MB Ram,
    2 megapixel front camera, 5 megapixel rear camera with dual flash
    USB, HDMI, Micro SD
    10 hour battery
    GPS
    MPEG4, H.263, H.264 Video playback
    MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR Audio playback
    Flash (yes that flash) :)

etc etc...........

So, of course, people are going to be seeing this, and wondering what Apple are going to be bringing to us next, Rumors are heating up right now.

To be honest, what seems to of happened was Motorola showed this off, with the specs as show, and many people's thoughts may have been, well, if that's what Motorola are going to be selling, I can't wait to see what Apple are going to bring out, and comments about retina displays to put Android in it's place, and send these Android upstarts back to the drawing board for another year, whilst Apple has 2011 all to itself again.

Over the last week many of these dreams, and they are only dreams, have taken a bit of a nose dive which is a shame.

Believe me. There is no one on this planet that want's Apple to make the most powerful high end tablet that can be made more than me.

I'd pay a good $1000 if they could produce something totally mind blowing.
    I don't want cheap low spec but popular, I really want to be blown away by Apple's next tablet.

My worry is that I, and I suspect many others are going to be saying "Oh is that all they've done" when it's announced, and thinking perhaps another years wait will give us what we hoped for.

Of course we are all guessing, and rumours fly back and forth.
    It won't be long before we know. I predicted a low spec boring, mediocre update a long time ago, and I still think I'm not far off the mark.

I want to be wrong, believe me, nothing would make me happier than to be proven totally wrong, and I have to eat my words as Apple blow us all away in April.

I live in hope, but I expect to be disappointed really.

9. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

That's what I'm personally hoping but business-wise it probably doesn't make sense for them. Apple considered $500 to be the magical price point for their new tablet to succeed and it looks as if though they were right. If they're aiming to hit that price spot again it means many things will be sacrificed to keep the price margin high - let's not forget Apple is very greedy.

Mind you they are not going after technical people who know about specs. No matter how mind blowing it is, Apple probably won't have the same success with the new iPad if the price goes up significantly. Sure they could have two line ups but then it gets pretty hard to achieve the scale of economy, at least for this generation.

I personally suspect this is the reason why Motorola and others are pushing very hard for Carrier-backed sales. The margin on these tablets is probably thinner and any subsidy they can get out of carrier to lower the price would help the sales.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I may well be wrong, but I don't think Apple have got a tremendous amount of time to have the market all to themselves. I'm not daft, I don't thing Android will outsell Apple this year, however it will be officially off the starting blocks.

Apple may be one lap ahead, and a dozen other Android racers are now on the starting blocks, and just waiting for the Honeycomb gun to be fired and they will be off.

If and when they catch Apple, well, we will have to see. But I expect they will be fitting themselves up with the very latest running shoes, and sportswear so they do everything they can to close the gap as soon as possible.

It may take mid or late 2012 before we start to get a good feeling about how the market is developing. By then Apple will of had another chance with iPad3 to put Android in their place, but we should have Tegra 3 and at least one of two honeycomb revisions by then. Plus of course the android marketplace growing all the time also.

Price wise, unless Apple do something dramatic, I can see Android easily capturing the whole lower price end of the market also. It's only a question of building things in mass quantities. It's easy not to buy a full 15" laptop, with hard drive, few GB of Ram, and Windows, etc for £299, I don't see why, when full mass production come along, a tablet should be any more than that, if not quite a bit less.

I know Apple does not want that end of the market, but, and it is a but, even low end devices, will fuel demands of apps. and bump Android ownership up.

It's going to be a very interesting time ahead, and I'd think it's going to be, oh, perhaps 2015 before we really will be able to see what has happened and look back at possible mistakes from any of the sides that are out there now, or will be very soon.

Apple's own biggest enemy I think is Apple itself.
    I would like to see Apple go after 2 markets it currently does not seem interested in.
    Make a low end model, to get those who cannot afford the £500 onto the App store, and then you may well have long term customers. Also make a pro model for the techies at a higher price with specs that would stop them wondering off to look for more exciting things from other companies.

As I said though, time will tell, but I do, in the mid to long term see Android doing great things.

11. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Here we go again... Just like the iPhone, it's Apple's iPad against the rest of the world. It will be Apple with a 40% share, Andriod with 60%, yet Apple will be called the loser, or referred to as getting their arse kicked, when they have 40% and the nearest competitor has 15%.

Who the hell is Mike Dell anyway ?

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

But it does not have to be that way.

Apple have huge amounts of cash, superb deals with hardware suppliers, someof the best designers on the planet, some of the best in house programmers there are.

They have everything they could wish for in all departments, they even have, or will have about a year and a half head start on everyone else, before the 1st proper competitors are on the scene with Honeycomb tablets.

No-one on the planet has such an advantage or is so well placed to stay at no.1 in all areas.

As I said before, the only people who will damage Apple's ability to stay in the position they are now, are Apple themselves.
    How could anyone in such a position let anyone else, starting from nothing, even come close to threaten them?

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

15. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Nicely put. And I believe iPad 2 will send the competitors running home, crying for their mommies. Just like iPad 1 did, but this time it will be even more.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In my opinion, it's too early to start saying Apple is doing nothing to stay ahead of the competition. We don't know what the specs of iPad2 is going to be, so far everything we have are rumors. Even if the hardware updates in iPad2 turns out to be minimal, Apple could still have important software innovations up their sleeve. The multitouch gestures in 4.3 beta will probably make it into iOS5. AirPrint and AirPlay capabilities will expand. iOS may never get a file system like we are used to on desktops/laptops, but file handling capabilities will be improved in other ways.

But if Apple gives up its lead in tablet computers, it will be because it's moved on to something else. When everyone else was racing after the iPhone, Apple was working on the iPad. Now that everyone is chasing the iPad, Apple is working on Lion. I bet with the next few MacBook updates, SSD will become standard and optical drives will be left behind.

See, Apple is different from other manufacturers because of their tightly integrated product lines. If I were going to buy an Android phone and an Android tablet, I wouldn't necessarily buy them from the same manufacturer. I could buy a Samsung phone and a Motorola tablet. And my computer could be a Dell or HP. But if I buy into iOS, I buy both my phone and tablet from Apple, and I'll eventually buy my computer from Apple too, because the offer of tight integration between computer, tablet and phone is very attractive.

Apple doesn't need to be the market leader in any of the three areas, it just needs to be good enough to entice people to buy into its ecosystem. And I think right now, it's succeeding very well. I started out with an iPod nano, and I now have been through several nanos and touches, and currently use the latest touch, an iPad, an iMac and a MacBook Air. If that's not success, I don't know what is.

17. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

It dont take a genius to understand that discussing the competition normal. I mean we have to compare the iPad to something.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When I want to stick my head in the sand and only discuss Apple products, I go to MacNazis.com. They don't allow any of that Android crap over there.

19. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow. $800? Definitely expensive. http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/motorola-xoom-priced-at-800-at-a-minimum-according-to-verizon/&category=classic&icid=eng_latest_art

20. jazziethomas macrumors member

Very well said, even though some people says that apple products are expensive they sill remained to be unbeatable on their rankings as well as their product sales no mater how hard their competitors try apple is still way ahead of them.

21. Androidpwns macrumors regular

Because there is a world of choice out there ( no etch-o-sketch req. ) and it's always good to have options ( no Jobs ).

22. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Because they are devices in direct competition with one another. Few people in the market for a tablet are going to own two of them simultaneously, so it stands to reason that the strengths and weaknesses of one platform will affect the other.

Look at the iPhone as an example. Verizon availability, less restrictive app-store policy and mobileme being free are all a result of the competition that Android phones have provided.

As such, looking at the features available on Honeycomb tablets will lend some helpful clues as to what features Apple might decide to focus on with the iPad 2 in order to keep up, compete, or improve upon what Android tablets offer.

23. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Because we have the attention span of a gnat.

24. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Keep up what? They are way ahead.

25. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Are you really so dumb? Sorry, but it has to be said. This particular forum is where things relating to the iPad are discussed. The Xoom is a competitor to the iPad, so quite naturally it is going to get discussed along with iPad 2. When new things come out, anticipation builds and people get excited and a way of venting that excitement is to discuss things. Don't like it? You know what to do...