Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabbitjuice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
I think the new iMac is great. Definately going to buy one. But does anyone know why it is not slot-loading? It seems a step backwards for the apple designers. Is there some technical/logistical reason why they had to put a disk tray in the base?

rabbitjuice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Well those are the two options I considered, but can it be both? A) are SuperDrives not slot-loadable (I'm sure the old iMac was a slot-loader). or B) is it just aesthetics?

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
That's an easy one. Besides the fact that a big slot on the front would break the clean surface of the dome, a slot loader has to push the disc out far enough that you can grab it at the sides and the center. The curvature of the dome means the drive has to be set relatively far back which would cause serious problems for a slot loading mechanism in terms of your ability to get a disc in or out of the slot.

rabbitjuice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Cheers, that makes some sense. I do disagree that it would compromise the design - Apple have proved that they can make almost anything look good, and they could have built a slot-loader into that design quite easily. It would have looked like a smiley face!

But I can see why the depth of the base unit is not enough to include the device and enough 'track' to project the disc right out the front.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
arn is right.

Apple has never made a SuperDrive that is slot loading. They've made slot loading COMBO drives, but not SuperDrives. There's a difference. The SuperDrive is also a DVD Burner.

rabbitjuice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
So what is it about the physics of burning a DVD that means it needs a tray underneath it? Or is something to do with steadiness, or not scratching the media or something? I am intrigued.

What other machines have apple but a SuperDrive in? Is it just the QuickSilver G4, or was there an iMac with iDVD?

SomeAppleGuy

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
Apple does not make the SuperDrive. Check your local ASP. They buy it as it is and build the computer around it. Last time I checked, nobody produces a tray loading dvd-r drive.

Limbo

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2002
Just a question on slot loading. Although not that common there are many differently shaped discs (hearts, stars, also the new GameCube discs) Can these be used in a slot drive? Tray loading drives have an indent in the center for the size smaller disc (there were Gamecube demo discs for comp in the small size) The GC discs werked perfectly in the tray, but i am to concerned to put one into a slot loader, seeing as how the tech is more advanced, and it seems like it would screw up if not loaded dead center? Any ideas or knowledge to share?

SomeAppleGuy

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
nope.. if you use them and get it stuck apple will not pay to have it removed. typically you will not damage anything, but the disk will not come out. the rollers that grab the disk will not touch it if the disk is smaller than a standard CD or DVD.

denhur

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2001
and that's why its not a slotloader

the irregular shaped cd-roms are becoming more and more popular (as businesscards for example). The irregular cd's only work in trayloaded drives. don't buy a slot loader (however clumsy the tray seems).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.