Why is it so hard to find a real bumper?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ntombi, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Am I crazy, or does no one sell a plain old bumper anymore?

I realize I'm a bit out of touch with the case game, since I always had naked iPhones, reluctantly followed by the Apple leather case when the 6's camera lens protruded. But I have been looking all over, and can't find a plain old bumper anywhere.

I don't want a back, nothing but a low-profile ring around the edge, just high enough to keep the camera lens and front glass from touching when the phone is put on a flat surface. Is that so hard to ask?

Obviously, I'm aware that companies are still rolling out their 7/7 Plus accessories, but I don't even see bumpers for the 6/6S, which is leading me to believe the I might be SOL for my upcoming jet black 7, which means I might once again need to use a case. :(

Any suggestions, or am I out of luck?

2. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I second that. Good company and great bumpers.

4. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

Those look good...thanks for posting, OP. I was thinking the same thing, I just want a bumper.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

6. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Thanks so much! I feel better now, knowing I have at least two options.

I swear, I searched all kind of ways, and didn't find either of these, so I'm really glad I asked.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Happy to help.

8. highertechnology, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

highertechnology macrumors 6502a

The kewek has also been one of my favorites and was pretty inexpensive on amazon. Had a removable crystal back plate I never used. But was a very classy metal and shock rubber design.

I hope they make an all black version.

After review, the k11 is exactly what I want. Any info on iP7+ availability.

Edit: Emailed thanotech, Ill update when I receive a response.

9. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Couldn't agree more! I have this one from Spigen that I've used on my 6plus and 6s Plus and assume it'll fit the 7 (well the speaker holes that replace the headphone jack will be covered some), but it's a little bent so was thinking of a new one. Spigen doesn't have it on their site anymore so I assume they aren't making it and the stock left at Amazon will be it.

10. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

They said on Twitter that they're still working on them; no date yet, but probably 6-8 weeks.

11. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

I got a Thanotech from their Kickstarter campaign for my wife's 6s+ and I hate to say that I'm not impressed.

Build quality was just so-so. VERY hard to access the mute switch. The aluminum trim scratched way too easily IMHO, and it was too easy to kink when taking it off the iPhone. We won't be buying another.

Again, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

12. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

FYI, elago just released theirs. Weirdly, it's only for the 7, not the Plus. Only a few colors, and their previous versions have mixed reviews, but for $12, I might use it as a stop-gap.

13. MichaelKB macrumors member

This! Loved my last elago. I ordered the new one on Amazon yesterday.

14. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reaching out!

We have already started tooling on the K11 for the iPhone 7 and are planning on launching a Kickstarter campaign later this month to help us get that going. It's going to take a bit since there are two new colors. We need to get a hold of the phones so we can color match. No guarantees on that Jet Black though. The process to get that shine and make it strong is pretty complicated. We're talking to our manufacturer to see if we can do it. Make sure you're part of our email list so you can be notified once that campaign launches!

Let us know if you have any questions and thanks for being awesome!
    Adam
    Team ThanoTech
    ThanoTech
    Office – +1.801.980.0308

15. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

I got this bumper as well and hated it.

16. blowfish89 macrumors member

Thanks, the Crashguard looks excellent. Hope its ready soon. Also can't decide color lol.

17. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

I got the green, but I just emailed them wanting to switch my preorder to the black one instead. It looks way better with the matte black

18. daylooo macrumors newbie

19. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Can anyone chime in on whether the crashguard is a rubber type like silicone that can get caught up on the pocket or more like a tpu/hard plastic.

20. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

Its more of a rubber type material, but it never caught in my pocket.

21. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

It's actually more like both. The outer edge (unless they've changed it from the previous version) is a TPU type material. It's easy to hold but doesn't get hung up on the pocket or collect lint. The inner material is a bit softer but still not silicone. It definitely doesn't attract lint in any way.

Watch some youtube videos, the case is insanely protective and doesn't add much bulk at all to your phone.

I also have the Thanotec bumper and I did like it. It is MUCH slicker than the rhino, not much to hold onto but if you like the looks it will protect your phone from a 6 ft drop.

22. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Just FYI - you can use the code COURAGE for 15% off on the evolutivelabs.com website for your iPhone 7/7+ pre-orders.

23. blowfish89 macrumors member

Thank you @!

24. Kat518 macrumors newbie

Thanks! Just ordered one...now just have to figure out what to do until October.

25. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

I have both the Thanotech as well as the CrashGuard for my 6s Plus and I must say the CrashGuard is the best bumper in terms of durability and protection.

It has a great lip, both front and back, although it's not one of those you want to take off too often as its really tight once on.

I also got the black CrashGuard for my 7 Plus Matte Black. I think it matches well together.