Why is it that you either love Apple or hate Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applefan289, Mar 4, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I've noticed that with many tech-savvy people, they either love Apple products or hate them. I happen to be in the former. I feel the people in the latter fail to see the whole picture with Apple. Those people tend to see Apple products as unnecessarily high-priced gadgets that are limited in what they can do.

Why are people so biased when it comes to Apple?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Because Apple products work amazing, if you only use them for their designed purpose, unlike a PC where you can tack crap onto them until the sun comes up.

Because of this, Apple products work amazingly perfect, and when there is a problem, it is always the "users fault".

Which creates a sort of Stockholm Syndrome like experience of using Apple products. Those who are aware of what is happening tend to lose the RDF, and don't like Apple anymore than Windows or HP. Everyone else, especially people who never have a need to use a computer in a non-Apple mandated way, well they fall head over heals for Apple because their uses fit in with Apple's mandated way of using their products.

3. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Apple is pricey, and have been trend marketed, but they work really well. I cannot tell you what a more happy person I am now that I left Windows, every other day I could throw that damn PC out the window, it never did anything right, I would try to edit, or email and it threw me out.

Windows is a scheme Bill Gates came up with to keep the world busy with tech engineers, so they wouldn't go hungry. I would rather turn on my mac, and boom done, no problem.

Plus it turns me on everyday, just by being a well working machine.
    True the price and market could be better, but it's worth it.

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Ten or fifteen years ago I would agree with your statement.

But in the last few years, I have met a lot of people who find Apple Inc. just OK, but usually just better than average.

But at the same time, with fewer non-Apple people calling us a cult or stuck up, sales of gear/software from Apple are at an all time high. There are a ton of people who find Apple just adequate, for the price, and kind of like their stuff, but have no issue with paying a little extra to get something from them. I think people are willing to pay more, but some of them will expect more than Apple is offering.

I think if Apple stuff was the same price as the average PC stuff, anybody who bought Apple would think they were amazing almost all the time. But the higher price of stuff dulls the excitement, so while many like Apple, they may not like the price they paid for it and may even think they should have got more.

No longer will the great industrial design totally impress consumers. The market has been flooded with cool looking stuff, much of it from Apple. But it's OK for people to fall in the middle as far as opinion goes so long as they continue to buy Apple goods a lot of the time.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple continues to innovate. But its sluggish competitors hire shills / concern trolls to spread FUD.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I don't love or hate apple. some things are great some suck. I mean look at the battery life in their mice and trackpads. it sucks. I have mice that work great that run a year on a set of batteries. airplay is great till you include voiceover then it sucks. Itunes can import songs faster in windows then on my mac with faster hardware. The frigging delete button won't delete files the x button works the same way most of the time as the - key does. Sometimes right click works for cut and paste sometimes not.
    I use win7 every day and it works fine.
    people love to say look how great osx is compared to windows. but it only has to run on a few computers. All ones designed by apple.
    I really like my iphone 4 but you look at the lock screen and the thing is blank and worthless. Miss a call? tuff luck you won't know about it unless you look at the screen.
    Seems apple does somethings great then falls short and sometimes way short on others.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I am happy Apple inspires passionate feelings on both sides. For a technology company to make us FEEL is truly remarkable. It proves Apples relevance.

8. ruvil macrumors regular

I think it's the same thing with everything in the computer world, it's just like with religion.

Text editors: Nano vs vi(m) vs emacs vs ???
    HDD brands: WD, samsung, seagate etc

People find what they are satisfied with really really stick with it! :apple:

9. DarkestWall macrumors newbie

3 reasons people hate apple.

1. The price.

2. The cult like drove of idiots who buy whatever Steve Jobs announces as the "next best thing".

That doesn't mean though that there aren't also intelligent and critical people who enjoy using apple products. Some apple products are fantastic, but just like every other company they have their bad products too.

3. The problems that arise when you need to do things that Windows/PCs can do.

Oh and gaming (though this is somewhat of a misconception these days). So that would be four reasons actually.

10. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I wonder too how someone can love or hate a corporation, but I used to be an apple-product-hater which I'm not anymore. It changed when I got my wife an iPod nano 3-4 years ago - the halo effect did the rest from there.

One thing I still dislike, however, are the macfags who expect a hagiography every time a tech reporter writes a review about the latest product from Cupertino. I'm talking about those who even keep a specimen of the hockey puck mouse in a vault somewhere as a religious artifact, still in it's original package. Those who scream "troll" whenever someone mentions that the iPad has poor battery life and that its screen resolution sucks. Smug elitists who want to keep the Apple products under-purchased, frustrated over how more and more people can afford them. Those are the reason why people resent Apple, it's products and the users of those products.

Attached Files:

11. DarkestWall macrumors newbie

That reminds me. The exclusivity route that Apple has taken now where they block basic features (cough cough... Flash Player... cough) is really annoying. You end up having to jailbreak some of their products just to get full use out of them. They are great products underneath, but some of them are severely limited if you don't hack it just so apple can make some extra bucks through iTunes.

12. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

When I buy an Apple product, I buy it because it's quality, and because many of their products are "get up and go". I don't really care about lack of Flash and all that, considering most embedded YouTube videos on websites work fine (as well as QuickTime).

True. Apple has come from such a different angle, that when you think of all the electronics on the market, you say, "There's all these OTHER companies, and then there's Apple". It has almost created the mindset that if it's not Apple, it's not as good. The marketing there is crazy.

13. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

the only thing I do not like about Apple

is the drop in Quality Control across the board.

Otherwise, I love the fact that I have a machine which is so easy to use. Just plug and play.

Yes, they are a bit more costly (which is a bit more painful now that QC is in the toilet), but I'd rather pay a little more for a product I will use and enjoy than one I will only use because I have to.

I no longer hate PCs; they are good for what I need them for (my job.) At home, I prefer to use a Mac.