Why is Mac better than a PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by definitive, Mar 30, 2009.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I'd like hear some good explanations as to why a Mac is better than a PC. I am not interested in hearing the "PC has viruses", "PC crashes" reasons because I've already heard those before, and a rebuttal for that was - learn what files to open, and what files not to open, and a pc will not crash if it's using good components, and is configured properly.

So anyone know why a Mac is better than a PC?

2. Apple iKid macrumors regular

Its all about personal preference, I think. When I first watched the video on Apples website about Mac OSX, I liked the way it looked quite a bit better than Vista. They both have their ups and downs, obviously.

When it comes down to it, it is really just about which one you personally like better. I like the features, design, and layout of Leopard better than Vista, and thats why I like Leopard more.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

"Better" is purely a subjective evaluation, particularly since you don't reference any particular functionality or need.

A toaster is better than a PC, because it heats up my muffins. A toilet is better than a PC, because it disposes of waste. See what I mean?

4. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

So to you, a prettier interface justifies paying the premium price?

Anyone else?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What do you expect anyone to say that you have already stated you don't want to hear?

This topic has been done to death, not just here but everywhere.

Buy what you want, use what you want. There's no better, just preference.

6. VT-Vincent macrumors newbie

There is no "correct" answer to this question, and the question itself is invalid in many cases. It all depends on who the user is. Joe Sixpack will enjoy the Mac side more as they will be virus-free and generally have a better out-of-box experience. Users who have the majority of their programs on either platform will obviously prefer the platform their applications on. Gamers will prefer Windows simply due to the available game library and the ability to fine-tune specifications. And lastly, many people will choose one or the other as simply an arbitrary personal preference. It call comes down to what you are the most comfortable using.

7. Apple iKid macrumors regular

When you use a computer every day, its very important that you enjoy the way that it is built. I have had so many problems with Vista, and the way that files and programs are store and activated, that it causes me so much frustration that its just not worth it.

When I use a Mac, I find that I enjoy it a lot more, and thats vital when you use it on a very regular basis.

Its kind of like the inside of a house. If you live in a house and hate the way the inside is designed, then you will hate it. But if you live in a house where you love the inside, then its worth the extra money.

8. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

No virus is all it took could have also went linux but OSX is a thousand times nicer!

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

This thread is slightly maddening if only for the fact that the answers provided thus far are the default, presumptive answers to a vague question. The responses address the question of why Mac OS X is better than Microsoft Windows. Not only is a Mac a PC, but "both" can also run OSes besides OS X and Windows.

Which brings me to the various Linux distros, and why the open-source nature of the Linux family makes it "better" than either Mac or PC. There are distributions catering to the power user (Gentoo), as well as distributions for more normal people such as myself (Ubuntu). Ubuntu especially has made great strides in bringing Linux to the masses. All are highly customizable, even for normal people with the least bit of curiosity, far beyond what the exclusive Mac or PC user could ever imagine.

10. portent macrumors 6502a

Putting words in his mouth much?

Troll elsewhere.

11. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

As said before, it's mostly personal preference.

IMO, Macs have a more intuitive interface that makes it easier to perform mundane tasks, tend to remain stable and quick for longer, and require less tinkering to keep going straight.

PC's have a greater variety of hardware configurations, a larger library of apps and...and...hmmm, give me a second, I'll think of something.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

prettier, faster, more stable, more intuitive, more tightly integrated with the hardware... :rolleyes:

13. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Because I can analyze my sequenced DNA with a program that only runs on Macs.

:)

14. Apple iKid macrumors regular

Exactly. :)

15. desiringGod macrumors regular

I have to work with a PC at work and use a Mac at home.

I find the total package of software, peripherals (Iphone, Ipod, etc), and hardware along with great US based customer service go a long way to help out.

Plus the Mac back up system and overall OS are so simple that when I travel for work I don't have to worry about my family being stuck at home with a computer that is unreliable.

Also, the resale value of Macs versus PCs at end of life is much greater and thus eliminates some of the price differential at the start of ownership.

16. Apple iKid macrumors regular

I'd say you hit the one right on the nose. ;)

17. McKnight macrumors member

McKnight

Consider that despite the answer to the question the question itself remains the same.

The OP asks "Why is a mac better than a PC", he's already made his conclusion, the mac is superior. This is a paradox though, if the decision of a mac being a superior system has already been reached, why does the OP need justification?

18. whitefang macrumors 6502

OS X
    OS X boots faster than Windows and Linux. It sleeps/wakeup faster too.
    OS X has more innovating UI features like hotspots, stacks, multi-touch, expose.

Windows
    Windows has the Office platform. Nothing on OS X can compare to the Microsoft Office platform, not even open-source.
    Windows has Business oriented software like .NET and other technology.
    OS X has less hardware. You can't buy a Creative XFI and make it work on OS X.

Both
    Both have similar stability, I had 0 Vista crashes, 2 OSX crashes (due to ITunes).

19. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I feel I'm more productive when I'm using OS X compared to when I'm using Windows XP or Vista. Hence my personal preference is OS X. :D

20. maccie8850 macrumors newbie

Id say simply when I use my Mac, I feel that it works with me where as when I use my PC, i feel it works against me. Ive been using a PC for 25 years and a Mac for 2!

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All I learned from this thread is that Apple has the best marketing team in the world.

22. prosperousyogi macrumors newbie

Why I chose Mac

For me it was iLife that "converted" me. I can import my photos from my camera to iPhoto, with ONE CLICK transfer them to iWeb, and with ONE CLICK post them to my webpage.

No doubt, PCs can do everything that my Mac can, but from all I know, you need different software and can't just transfer with "one click".

I like the "one click" experience. I remember the first "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac" commercials said, paraphrasing, "with PCs you have a lot of stuff to do before you are doing any stuff". From all I know, that's true.

I also like it how I can point my screensaver to any directory and it will run a neverending slide-show of the photos that are in it. PCs may be able to do that, I don't know, but Macs can. I love this feature. All my photos, thousands of them, are in my screensaver. So I see my photos all the time, rather than once every few years.

23. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

All I learned from this thread is that people just don't google anymore.