Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Please forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. The MacRumors site (mainly forums) is often very slow, both at home (Mac) and at work (XP). I have tried using various browsers to no avail. Why is it so slow to respond sometimes (such as in the last 15 minutes)? The only sites that are routinely slower for me are .mac and Bank of America.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's generally been pretty good for me recently, and we should be able to handle the 3,000 users online right now just fine. There was a hiccup about 15-20 minutes ago that slowed things to a crawl briefly, but everything seems fine to me right now. I don't see anything obvious that would have caused the hiccup, so it may have been a clog in the tubes somewhere.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
OK, thanks for the replies, but it just seems to me that it is a fairly normal occurrence, and more than would be expected. I can of course understand it during big Apple announcements or things of that sort, but not multiple times a day on a routine basis. This is the only site that exhibits that kind of behavior that I routinely visit. The other sites that I mentioned are always slow, but most sites show no problem whatever.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Please forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. The MacRumors site (mainly forums) is often very slow, both at home (Mac) and at work (XP). I have tried using various browsers to no avail. Why is it so slow to respond sometimes (such as in the last 15 minutes)? The only sites that are routinely slower for me are .mac and Bank of America.

The site shouldn't be particular slow lately. I'm not sure if its isolated to you. Other people noticing it being particularly slow?

arn

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'll notice the occasional slow down but it'll usually coincide with some piece of active front page news.

This will be at home (10 Mb) or at work (20-80 Mb).

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'd have to say the site has been slow for a while now. Happens from home on 2 Macs, at work on PC.

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
I've also experienced some slowness. It'll all be going fine and then everything will suddenly slow to a crawl.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I have notice the same thing, also sometimes it hangs and I'll back browser and then try again, sometimes that helps, I think. :)
I also access the site at work and at home with the same results.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
The site shouldn't be particular slow lately. I'm not sure if its isolated to you. Other people noticing it being particularly slow?

arn

I noticed the slow down about an hour or so ago that Wildcowboy mentioned, I was going to say it's mostly fine, but then this page too quite a while to load :rolleyes:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It's been a bit sluggish for me the past few days, but not unbearable or anything like that.

so it may have been a clog in the tubes somewhere
Oh dear, do we need to get Ted Stevens to tell someone the internet isn't a big dump truck?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Yeah I've been noticing some slow downs too, even at off-peak times. I hope this is temporary:eek:

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I'd say by comparison to other sites it's kind of slow but not awful or anything. There are times when it's worse than others. Other than the obvious, where there's tons of people online, I haven't seen another connection as to why.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Hmmm...maybe if I complain about the iPhone, the site will speed up for me :p

Thankfully, due to Leopard, the iPhone threads seem not to be clogging up the Forum Spy (My home)...

I know I could stop the threads from showing, but I don't want to miss something interesting...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Thankfully, due to Leopard, the iPhone threads seem not to be clogging up the Forum Spy (My home)...

I know I could stop the threads from showing, but I don't want to miss something interesting...

I know how you feel. Even though you know (during the non-Leopard seasons) most of the new posts are going to be iPhone related, there's a part of you that must see it all unfold..:eek:

Retired
May 16, 2006
I know how you feel. Even though you know (during the non-Leopard seasons) most of the new posts are going to be iPhone related, there's a part of you that must see it all unfold..:eek:

We'll definitely get a spike soon when the iPhone is officially released in Europe...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
We'll definitely get a spike soon when the iPhone is officially released in Europe...

Oh yes. I do hope I'll still be able to login at by that time!:eek:

Anways, night time for me now (it's nearly 1 in the morning on the other side of the Pond[the part which faces the other, larger pond :p]).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.