Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have a iPad model MNV72LL/A, running iOS 12.4.1 that is beeping, actually sound like an alert but more like a bleep. It’s intermittent, irregular, and often, and can be a rapid series of beeps.

This morning when I picked up iPad, it was beeping like crazy. Now It has stopped beeping for several minutes.

Example of the cadence when it is beeping:
Beep, pause, beep beep beep, 10:sec pause, beep beep pause beep, 3 sec beep, beep beep.

Troubleshooting so far which did not correct the issue:
  • I’ve tried closing all apps.
  • Shut down and restarted, still beeping intermediately.
  • Looked for a solution online, but did not find one. Saw one forum post (not MRs) where someone said their iPad was making a noise, but the response was, that’s strange.
Wait as I’m typing, I just got an idea! My iPad was plugged in over night, charging. When I picked it up this morning, still plugged in, it was beeping when I started using it. However when I unplugged it, stopped. And that is what the noise is, the charging alert. Apparently when it is switching between fully charged and charging, you can get this series of rapid charging bleeps. I’m so clever. :rolleyes:

I assume this is a normal? I have not always noticed this, and my routine is pretty regular. I often leave my iPad hooked to then charging cord when using it.

Does that hurt the battery?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I have had a lot of iPads and never heard of this behaviour. This sounds like an issue in hardware to me to be honest. Are you using the original cable and charger?

Reactions: Huntn

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a iPad model MNV72LL/A, running iOS 12.4.1 that is beeping, actually sound like an alert but more like a bleep. It’s intermittent, irregular, and often, and can be a rapid series of beeps.

This morning when I picked up iPad, it was beeping like crazy. Now It has stopped beeping for several minutes.

Beep, pause, beep beep beep, 10:sec pause, beep beep pause beep, 3 sec beep, beep beep.

• Looked for a solution online, but did not find one. Saw one forum post (not MRs) where someone said their iPad was making a noise, but the response was, that’s strange.
Wait as I’m typing, I just got an idea! My iPad was plugged in over night, charging. When I picked it up this morning, still plugged in, it was beeping when I started using it. However when I unplugged it, stopped. And that is what the noise is, the charging alert. Apparently when it is switching between fully charged and charging, you can get this series of rapid charging bleeps. I’m so clever. :rolleyes:

I assume this is a normal? I have not always noticed this, and my routine is pretty regular. I often leave my iPad hooked to then charging cord when using it.

Is this only happening when you have the charging cable plugged in? If so, it's probably either the cable or lint and debris packed into the lightning port.

Reactions: acorntoy

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

I've heard of a situation like yours before in another thread. Forgot what the name of it was though.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
if your ipad has a smart connector, with sweaty hands iPad thinks it’s charging and does that beeping

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I've had this too occasionally and only during charging. From what I gather and from past posts, it seems the charging software may be out of sync. The solution recommended then and works for me now is to hard restart (home + power button). That seems to reset the charging logic. Worth a try.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have had a lot of iPads and never heard of this behaviour. This sounds like an issue in hardware to me to be honest. Are you using the original cable and charger?
It’s not an original cable, using a certified cable. This could be related. But I’m using the same cable and it only bleeps continuously, when the iPad is up at 100% charging.

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
It could be notifications. Some apps spam the crap out of notifications. oops I resurrected a post from the dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.