why is my Monthly Service Charges $100.32

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asouns, Jul 31, 2008.

1. asouns macrumors member

this is my first month bill: 6/26 to 7/26

Monthly Service Charges $100.32
    Credits/Adjustments/Other Charges $40.14
    Government Fees and Taxes $10.82

ok I dont understand why Monthly Service Charges is $100.32, my plan is the one which was listed 69.99. and I checked, I did not exceed the limit time. And I feel it's not fair that att charges a month fee which is like only half a month use

bye the way , Credits/Adjustments/Other Charges is activation fee right? I thought it's $36

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

You have a $70 voice plan and $30 data plan?

or $40 voice plan and $30 data plan?

Is it pro-rated for the first month? Usually the first bill has from 5-7 weeks on it so it is more.

3. asouns thread starter macrumors member

my plan is $40 voice plan and $30 data plan

I dont know what you mean by pro-rated, but I'm a new customer to att, and got mt iphone 3g on July 14th so I just feel wired that they charge me 100.32 just for using less than two weeks.

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

First bill is month +prorated month.... read the ef`ing bill its all there.

5. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I have the same plan as you and my bill is about 140 bucks. It is for 6 days plus the next month. I have no idea why they could not just bill for one whole month and had to reset my billing cycle. Now I am paying more up front.
    No big deal but on t-mobile you pay after not before.

7. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

There's a new thing out...its called reading :rolleyes: As someone said already the bill breaks out your montly charges for you and will explain any pro rating going on...read it, or if you like PM me your account password and I'll read it and explain it to you

8. sydgurley macrumors newbie

ATT Charges

I had the same issue -take it easy on us former T-mobile customers (New IPHONE owner). We aren't used to being charged a month in advance!

9. MemphisDave macrumors regular

MemphisDave

My Bill was $166 bucks.
    $100=$70(data/450minPhone)+$20(unlimitedTXT)+tax
    $ 30=bill for the prorated time July 11th->billing period
    $ 36=activation fee
    $166 Total

Check your txt messages. My bill was $1.25 in credits/fees and i couldn't figure it out. I was charged $0.25/txt for int'l txt to Canada. Not to receive, but only to send. Surely the charge didn't come from international txting.

If you got your phone after the billing period, they may have prorated your 30day cycle back
    *I believe you pay forward with AT&T.
    BIgd

10. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

40+30=70 plus at least 20 in taxes. so should be around 90-100 bucks.

11. bombboy macrumors regular

bombboy

I changed to a Family Plan and have two iPhones listed and my first bill under the new plan is $250. Yay ;/ I did a double take but read all the fine print and it's legit and I have no problem paying it, just stings a little.

12. Inukami macrumors 6502

What does prorated mean? I just bought my IPhone yesterday and i'm only staying for a month and paying my ETF. How much billing am i going to pay for the monthly fees >.>? I'm on the 69.99 plan. Btw it says my bill is on the 8/8/08 and i'm canceling on the 30th of august.

13. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I believe AT&T has you pay your bill a month in advance. So you are more than likely paying for first two weeks plus an additional month.

You mentioned you didn't exceed your talk time. Did you notice if your unused minutes were rolled over to your next month?

14. atlken77 macrumors member

15. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

it's the activation fee + taxes that puts it up to 100

after your 1st month's bill it will go back down to...reasonable rates..

fees and taxes add on to the bill.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I still get flashbacks of the first few weeks of the original iPhone

We must have had 4,000 threads on people being BLOWN AWAY BY their first bill as it was double what they expected
    :D

17. ottergal macrumors member

I haven't gotten my first bill yet (and knew that there would be proration) but was a bit surprised that that wasn't something they covered when I bought the phone. I wasn't told my bill cycle or about proration of service, minutes and sms messages.

On the other hand, I was helped by an Apple gal on launch day who hadn't processed one of these before... in fact she hadn't even touched a handset before mine! So I cut her some slack.

Still, you'd think that this would be a good thing to cover with people when they are going over your plan and monthly charges in general.

18. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Is this really a widespread problem? I wasn't here during the last launch, but I mean, haven't people had cell phones before? Unless you are coming from pre-paid, wireless companies ALWAYS charge a month in advance, which means the first bill is large. Why is this a surprise to so many people?

I'm not trying to be snarky, but I really don't understand.

19. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

If you were an existing iPhone 2G customer w/ AT&T:
    • Base Voice Plan
      (one full month: 6/29 - 7/28 $39.99)
    • Pro-rated Old Data Plan
      (This may be 2G data plan: 6/29 - 7/11 $9.00)
    • Pro-rated New Data Plan
      (Date when you activated to the new plan to bill date: 7/12 - 7/28 $18.00)
    • Next Month's Data Plan
      (one full month prepaid: $30.00)
    • Activation/Upgrade Fee
      ($18.00 for upgrade)

first months bill
    39.99 + 9 + 18 + 30 + 18 = $144.99 (excl. any taxes)

20. hawkryger macrumors newbie

Man, some people are real horseblowers on this list! Jesus, just be nice, it's not that hard.

21. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

no, it's $18

22. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It's $36 for new customers, $18 for old customers.

23. vabigpoppa macrumors member

i was shocked too, but you have to read the bill details. its your pro-rated bill PLUS 1 month. pro rated is when they only charge you for the days you used.....so if you started your account half way in a month, they will only charge you for half a month.

24. ottergal macrumors member

Actually, some charge in arrears. Or at least they used to... I'd been with the same carrier for 10 years, so it's hard for me to remember to way back then.

Like I said, I knew it. I think many people do realize it, but they could have made it clearer is all. When she went through my monthly bill, how hard would it have been to add "your first bill will include a prorated month in addition to your normal charges and will be larger than typical"? Prorated bills (and the lack of understanding about them) has been a big customer call driver for years in the wireless industry.

25. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Okay. I guess it's just me then. I was with Verizon for almost 11 years until last week, and I still knew about the charging policy. Maybe it's because when I would switch plans within Verizon, my bill would be wonky for that month, with the charges, credits, prorating of services, etc.

Anyway, just curious. :)