Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terrymaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
SF Bay Area and Chicago Area
I have had my MBPR for about a month. Its a 512 drive. It was siting at about 136 used. Allof a sudden i noticed the bar in Main Menu Pro fuller for the HD capacity. I now only have 234 free out of the 512. Its filling with me not doing anything.UGH......any pointers/slash suggestion ? Thanks for any help. Terry

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
This software looks extremely dated, but you can give it a try?

http://www.derlien.com/

you'll want to click download the universal binary. If it's not what your after, google pulled up lots of links to different programs similar.

EDIT as i was beaten to it, this links to DiskInventory X

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have had my MBPR for about a month. Its a 512 drive. It was siting at about 136 used. Allof a sudden i noticed the bar in Main Menu Pro fuller for the HD capacity. I now only have 234 free out of the 512. Its filling with me not doing anything.UGH......any pointers/slash suggestion ? Thanks for any help. Terry

Before you go on nuking your SSD (with the advice the above posters give), I want to ask. What have you been doing in general with your Mac?

terrymaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Before you go on nuking your SSD (with the advice the above posters give), I want to ask. What have you been doing in general with your Mac?

Nothing Different....Normal web viewing, stream tv etc. I do have daisy disk. This happened to me on my old mac once and i found an email that i tried sending out that had photos in it. It kept going to the recoved emails. When looking at it further i saw that it had like 400 copies of that email which caused the storage issue. I ran daisy disk yesterday and saw mail was huge again. I just deleted ffom the app the mail and there is no change.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Nothing Different....Normal web viewing, stream tv etc. I do have daisy disk. This happened to me on my old mac once and i found an email that i tried sending out that had photos in it. It kept going to the recoved emails. When looking at it further i saw that it had like 400 copies of that email which caused the storage issue. I ran daisy disk yesterday and saw mail was huge again. I just deleted ffom the app the mail and there is no change.

Does Mail have those in Trash or are they gone, gone?

terrymaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Then that wasn't the issue. Can you see what type of storage is the big chunk that you see increased? OS X now divides it by Audio, Movies, etc...

Ahhhh......I just ran about this mac and checked the storage. I have a 125gb of backups !!!!!!! WTF? That seems to be right on with the added space problem. Where the heck do i find that to delete and prevent it from happening further? Thanks so much for this help. It has been driving me nuts for 2 days:rolleyes:

terrymaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Ahhhh......I just ran about this mac and checked the storage. I have a 125gb of backups !!!!!!! WTF? That seems to be right on with the added space problem. Where the heck do i find that to delete and prevent it from happening further? Thanks so much for this help. It has been driving me nuts for 2 days:rolleyes:

Audio 11.2
Movie 6.5
Photos 2.8
Apps 32.5
Backups 125
other 83.7

----------

Ok, now lets identify what backups before you go on and delete. Have you connected any devices recently?

No, nothing out of the norm......My iPhone, iPad, i have a time capsule thats been hooked for months with no issues

terrymaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
There is your issue. Go to Time Machine settings and look for the snapshot. It might be creating back ups on your SSD. Delete them or have full connection to your TM drive.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Guys.......I read that disable link and typed it into terminal and reboot. Back to 359 available. Now, final question.....By typing that command in will it prevent this from happening again? It started all of a sudden. One moment it was fine and stable at 360 free than bam, all of a sudden space getting eaten up. I have zero in backups on the ssd now.

Spicedham

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
It's working normally like how apple designed it I would just leave it alone. You don't need that space right now and you can always get it back. It's not slowing your computer down or doing anything bad why bother?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
It's working normally like how apple designed it I would just leave it alone. You don't need that space right now and you can always get it back. It's not slowing your computer down or doing anything bad why bother?

The problem is, it will slow down the computer. SSDs tend to loose write speeds after the drive has been filled up. I don't mean completely full, but when all pages in the NAND have been used. The Samsun controller used in the rMBP solves this to an extent. However, it is not a good thing to have a full SSD or continuously keep writing to it. Also, NAND flash cells degrade with every write, so you have limited of cycles.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The problem is, it will slow down the computer. SSDs tend to loose write speeds after the drive has been filled up. I don't mean completely full, but when all pages in the NAND have been used. The Samsun controller used in the rMBP solves this to an extent. However, it is not a good thing to have a full SSD or continuously keep writing to it. Also, NAND flash cells degrade with every write, so you have limited of cycles.

NAND cells will not slow down after they have been used. During idle time the drive controller cleans up these cells and performance is like new again. It is true NAND cells have a finite number or write cycles, but during any kind of normal usage that limit is not going to be hit for many many years.

Read the section in this article about NAND lifetime for some calculations.

There is no reason to disable local backups with Time Machine just because one is using a SSD.

Local backups are managed by OS X and if the user needs the storage space the OS will shrink the local storage area. It is really a good feature that provides backups when away from a Time Machine destination.

If a user does not see the need for this feature that is fine, but having an SSD is no reason to turn it off.

If the feature is left on and for some reason one wants to erase the local backups, just turn Time Machine off then back on and the space is erased.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Local backups are managed by OS X and if the user needs the storage space the OS will shrink the local storage area. It is really a good feature that provides backups when away from a Time Machine destination.

- Yes, but why are these local snapshots also made when there is a connection to one's Time Machine drive? I have my TM drive connected pretty much all the time, yet my local backups keep accumulating. It seems kind of pointless.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
- Yes, but why are these local snapshots also made when there is a connection to one's Time Machine drive? I have my TM drive connected pretty much all the time, yet my local backups keep accumulating. It seems kind of pointless.

I have noticed the same thing. It can come in handy if you leave town and accidentally delete a file and or want an older version of a file and it is available in the local backup.

I used it recently when I screwed up while reconciling a bank account in iBank while at a hotel (away from my Time Capsule). Rather than try to figure out where I had made the mistake in iBank, I just restored the last version of my iBank data from the local backup. So it can be useful.

I could have restored from an older Dropbox or Crashplan version, but this was much easier and quicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.