Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Using an iPad Pro 10.5 w iOS 11, I used to single swipe to quit any app, now I must double click to Control Center, then hope holding the app icon will give me the “x” to quit, many times it takes several trips to Control Center to quit an app.

Or is there an easy way to quit apps in iOS11?

The new keyboard is awesome, I’ll never go back.

Last edited:

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I presume we are talking about iPad. The several trips part is a bug (and is also present on iPhone where you still swipe) The holding to get the x part is definitely intentional but may be a work in progress. As it is, it seems like its optimized and designed less as a task killer and more as a persistent collection of spaces (each of which house 1 or 2 apps) to be organized and switched between.

Whether they add a swipe or other method for quickly clearing these remains to be seen. I’m sure you’ve heard it all before but killing most apps that are not misbehaving costs more energy than it saves. Personally I’d still like to see a more efficient way of clearing these, even if only as a tool for organization of them. And, for that matter, I’d like to be able to rearrange them too if that really is the thinking behind it.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I presume we are talking about iPad. The several trips part is a bug (and is also present on iPhone where you still swipe) The holding to get the x part is definitely intentional but may be a work in progress. As it is, it seems like its optimized and designed less as a task killer and more as a persistent collection of spaces (each of which house 1 or 2 apps) to be organized and switched between.

Whether they add a swipe or other method for quickly clearing these remains to be seen. I’m sure you’ve heard it all before but killing most apps that are not misbehaving costs more energy than it saves. Personally I’d still like to see a more efficient way of clearing these, even if only as a tool for organization of them. And, for that matter, I’d like to be able to rearrange them too if that really is the thinking behind it.
Thanks, I have never run beta software on any system, but couldn’t resist the fantastic new keyboard in 11. Glad to know that I correctly recognized a true issue. Appreciate your response.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks, I have never run beta software on any system, but couldn’t resist the fantastic new keyboard in 11. Glad to know that I correctly recognized a true issue. Appreciate your response.

The keyboard is really good. I got rid of SwiftKey on my iPad in favour of it. iPhone keyboard didn’t get the same love so still on SwiftKey there.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Thread title is INCORRECT. Apps quit when you exit them. They will ONLY run some updates/API's calls in the background if you allow and most are minimal. However the app in NOT open. "Killing" them is basically removing them from the fast app switcher and not necessary.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
That doesn't make any sense. (I don't have the correct terms of use, but) I already have a "desktop" to switch apps, so I want another long scrolling desktop which is called an app switcher?

Reactions: naasrd and Peter K.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Thread title is INCORRECT. Apps quit when you exit them. They will ONLY run some updates/API's calls in the background if you allow and most are minimal. However the app in NOT open. "Killing" them is basically removing them from the fast app switcher and not necessary.

That’s wrong. Some types of apps (gps) have different access when backgrounded vs quit completely.
[doublepost=1499023561][/doublepost]
That doesn't make any sense. (I don't have the correct terms of use, but) I already have a "desktop" to switch apps, so I want another long scrolling desktop which is called an app switcher?

Persistent spaces, single apps or apps in split view, can be managed there. Example: if you put safari and messages in a split view space then any time you tap Safari or messages you’ll be returned to that particular space. If you “quit” that’s space, that association is lost.

On the iPad, the multitasking view is now a pace to manage Spaces.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
That’s wrong. Some types of apps (gps) have different access when backgrounded vs quit completely...
When you are using an App that is actively tracking and using GPS in the background the Menu bar will be Blue and and will be 2 lines vertical (iPhone), plus it will tell you the name of the app. Here is an example with Apple Maps open with Nike+ NRC tracking in the background. If you click on the Blue Menu bar it will open the app that is doing the GPS tracking.

EDIT: Also below is an iPad with Navigon tracking in the background. The Menu Bar is still only one line but it is Blue and clickable to go to the tracking app.

EDIT: Multiple apps: Waze and Google Maps in the background.

This is NOT what the OP is referring to.

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_0131 (1).jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

Last edited:

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
When you are using an App that is actively tracking and using GPS in the background the Menu bar will be Blue and and will be 2 lines vertical (iPhone), plus it will tell you the name of the app. Here is an example with Apple Maps open with Nike+ NRC tracking in the background. If you click on the Blue Menu bar it will open the app that is doing the GPS tracking.

EDIT: Also below is an iPad with Navigon tracking in the background. The Menu Bar is still only one line but it is Blue and clickable to go to the tracking app.

This is NOT what the OP is referring to.

View attachment 706974

View attachment 706975

And if you quit that app in multitasking it can no longer do that. It is what he’s referring to.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
And if you quit that app in multitasking it can no longer do that. It is what he’s referring to.
If that were the case then the OP could simply hit the Menu bar and end/stop the app's tracking with NO NEED to go to the App Switcher, long press and then X. So the 'quitting apps is difficult' post is not even needed.

Reactions: chabig

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
If that were the case then the OP could simply hit the Menu bar and end/stop the app's tracking with NO NEED to go to the App Switcher, long press and then X.

You appear to be arguing for the sake of arguing. He didn’t mention Navigation in particular at all. He said it’s harder to quit apps on the iPad on iOS 11, which it is. Not only because you have to long press and hit X individually but because there’s an annoying bug where quit apps persist anyway sometimes. The thread title is accurate, the OP is accurate. Please stop.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
The keyboard is really good. I got rid of SwiftKey on my iPad in favour of it. iPhone keyboard didn’t get the same love so still on SwiftKey there.

Are you talking about the ‘swipe for special character’ feature? Cause there definitely gonna take some getting used to, but can see it being really handy.
[doublepost=1499034332][/doublepost]Ps, to OP. There should definitely be a ‘clear all’ option from the app switcher. But Apple don’t recommend closing apps completely so unlikely to be something they’d actively promote/make easy.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Are you talking about the ‘swipe for special character’ feature? Cause there definitely gonna take some getting used to, but can see it being really handy.

Yep, that. It is difficult to get used to but when you start you can keep up the pace of typing really well without the breaking “switch between keyboards, use special character, switch back” breaking the flow.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Yep, that. It is difficult to get used to but when you start you can keep up the pace of typing really well without the breaking “switch between keyboards, use special character, switch back” breaking the flow.

Indeed. Problem is, stuff becomes like a motor reflex and takes time to unlearn. Too used to switching keyboard modes for special characters.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Indeed. Problem is, stuff becomes like a motor reflex and takes time to unlearn. Too used to switching keyboard modes for special characters.

Yes, it made me slower at first because I’d be consciously trying to use the swipe but actually pausing and thinking for longer.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
.....Ps, to OP. There should definitely be a ‘clear all’ option from the app switcher. But Apple don’t recommend closing apps completely so unlikely to be something they’d actively promote/make easy.
As you stated it is all but sure not to happen since this is directly contrary to what Apple says.

Apple said:
......The apps aren’t open, but they're in standby mode to help you navigate and multitask. You should force an app to close only when it’s unresponsive....
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330

The old App Switcher on the iPad was a gigantic waste of screen real estate. While the new App Switcher has some flaws it is a huge improvement and much more efficient. Again Apple sees the 'Force Closing' of apps only as a last resort (aside from a restart or reset) and probably won't make it more convenient at the expense of the new App Switcher's features.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig and profets

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
As you stated it is all but sure not to happen since this is directly contrary to what Apple says.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330

The old App Switcher on the iPad was a gigantic waste of screen real estate. While the new App Switcher has some flaws it is a huge improvement and much more efficient. Again Apple sees the 'Force Closing' of apps only as a last resort (aside from a restart or reset) and probably won't make it more convenient at the expense of the new App Switcher's features.
your link says to swipe up to clear an app. That does not work on an iPad Pro in iOS11. The apps Do Not swipe in the 11 app switcher. You must hold the app and hope the “x” appears, sometimes it take many trips back and forth to the app switcher for the x to show when you press and hold the app. Sometimes pressing the “x” does nothing.

thislsmadness

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
your link says to swipe up to clear an app. That does not work on an iPad Pro in iOS11. The apps Do Not swipe in the 11 app switcher. You must hold the app and hope the “x” appears, sometimes it take many trips back and forth to the app switcher for the x to show when you press and hold the app. Sometimes pressing the “x” does nothing.

I don’t think he linked that to explain how to quit an app. He linked it because of this part:

Apple said:
You should force an app to close only when it’s unresponsive.

Meaning that Apple is likely not concerned with force quitting an app quickly since it isn’t an action they don’t think you should be performing often.

Reactions: chabig and Julien

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Using an iPad Pro 10.5 w iOS 11, I used to single swipe to quit any app, now I must double click to Control Center, then hope holding the app icon will give me the “x” to quit, many times it takes several trips to Control Center to quit an app.

Or is there an easy way to quit apps in iOS11?

The new keyboard is awesome, I’ll never go back.

If you're ever touching the home button on your iPad Pro 10.5" w/ iOS 11, you're doing it wrong!! Lol.
This is CLEARLY paving the way to removal of the home button altogether...
1st way to access multitasking - slide up from bottom of screen to show the dock, then keep sliding up!
or.....
(My preferred way) Slide up entire screen w/ four fingers.
Once you get used to the fact that either of these actions is FAR more effortless than the old "double click home button" action, & get used to how handy it is to keep a few persistently open app pairings, like a Mail/iMessage window, for example... it really takes the sting out of having to press & hold to close apps!
Also, w/ regards to that- you don't have to make another "trip" to multitasking if the X to close doesn't show up, in this Beta... simply lift your finger, then try again!

Reactions: Just There

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
(My preferred way) Slide up entire screen w/ four fingers.

I keep seeing this “four fingers” reference. You only need to use one.

I agree with that way of hitting mult-tasking making much more sense than the home button on iPad though. Very much so, once you get used to it.

Edit: I’m an idiot but I’ll leave my idiocy in the first paragraph above for posterity :oops: Four fingers can be used anywhere on screen to slide, not just from the bottom. Neat!

So,

1 finger swipe up from the bottom, short swipe: dock only
1 finger swipe up from the bottom, long swipe: multtasking
4 fingers swipe anywhere: multtasking

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
That’s wrong. Some types of apps (gps) have different access when backgrounded vs quit completely.
If you give an iPhone with NO iOS installed, some people will still defend it and tell us that it is the logical decision by Apple.
Clearly, the multitasking on iPad is unusable in it's current form. It's slow and I am not liking the new direction. Let's hope for improvements and that they allow us to flick up the apps we don't need.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Closing safari tab on iPad is as hard as ****. Why? Because I need to tap that tiny x near the end of tab to close a tab! On phone I can swipe away, no big deal. On iPad... good luck.

Also, good luck for Apple attempting to remove all hardware buttons. iPhone is not IoT device. iPhone is not apple property once a unit reaches customer hand. I don’t want an iPhone or iPad with zero ability to recover from unresponsive situation and need to send it back to Apple just to recover it (like hard reset). No, just no. Don’t use water proof As an excuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.